Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PhillipL  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2017 00:58:08(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
Hello All,

I have slowly been building up my Marklin collection since starting AC about 2.5 years ago. I am a long time DC railroader but finally gave into my urge to try Marklin. All of my model locomotives are from the Startup line (BR 89, BR 216, DHG 500 and DHG 700). I really enjoy my BR 89 (30000) and I am considering ordering the Marklin BR 81 (36321). Can anyone tell me if it is a reliable model? From the photos I have seen, it seems to have the same level of detail as the Br 89 which is fine with me. My Marklin setup is very small such that my freight trains are normally in the 3-4 car length so pulling strength is not a major issue for me.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Offline mrmarklin  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2017 04:21:48(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: PhillipL Go to Quoted Post
Hello All,

I have slowly been building up my Marklin collection since starting AC about 2.5 years ago. I am a long time DC railroader but finally gave into my urge to try Marklin. All of my model locomotives are from the Startup line (BR 89, BR 216, DHG 500 and DHG 700). I really enjoy my BR 89 (30000) and I am considering ordering the Marklin BR 81 (36321). Can anyone tell me if it is a reliable model? From the photos I have seen, it seems to have the same level of detail as the Br 89 which is fine with me. My Marklin setup is very small such that my freight trains are normally in the 3-4 car length so pulling strength is not a major issue for me.

Thanks!

BR 81 is a very solid Lok. You will love it. The boiler is an all metal casting.BigGrin
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2017 09:34:57(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Philip,

The class 81 has been in the assortment since 1961. There are many different versions. Around 2009 Märklin revised the motor-type. If you look for the spare-part drawings you can easily see the difference. Instead of the 36321 I would prefer the 30322 (some series came with a 609X-decoder istead of DELTA) or the loco from 29185 (also sometimes with 609X-decoder). These models also have a complete Walschaerts valve gear, not the simplied one of the 36321

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2017 10:18:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have both the older version and the newer one both from starter sets.

The older one has the full valve gear modelled as mentioned by Markus, but unfortunately has a terrible decoder that makes it useless for slow speed running. With a decoder and motor upgrade it is not too bad.

The newer model with a can motor has much better running characteristics and will crawl along at slow speed very nicely, though the valve gear has been simplified.

I would go with the newer if I had to choose one of the two types.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Dave Banks  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2017 11:00:40(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Newer version:

UserPostedImage

My older version #30322:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline PhillipL  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2017 11:43:28(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
Thanks everyone! Sounds like it is exactly what I want!BigGrin
Offline ktsolias  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2017 11:47:16(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
I have two 81

Beautiful Locos

3031 from 1959 with TELEX Couplers

IMG_04462_resize.JPG

3032 from 1989

IMG_11897_resize.JPG

Both with the old SFCM analog waiting conversion to Digital

I love them

Costas
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2017 22:28:14(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Hello All,

Thanks!

BR 81 is a very solid Lok. You will love it. The boiler is an all metal casting.BigGrin

Couldn't agree more!

..and I'll add: probably the best all-around switcher ever made by Märklin!

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2017 22:38:07(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, i have all versions, it is great loco, in the newer i have upgrade the decoder and installed roco telex coupler. It runs just great!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline PhillipL  
#10 Posted : 26 January 2017 02:23:53(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
Hi All,

I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge on this locomotive. I have ordered one today. Thanks again!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline PhillipL  
#11 Posted : 23 May 2017 11:49:50(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
Good morning,

I finally received by Br 81 and had a chance to run it on Sunday. It runs and looks great! Thanks again everyone for your help and advise! BigGrin
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline artfull dodger  
#12 Posted : 28 May 2017 03:08:47(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Which version did you end up getting? The older one with the full valve gear or the newer one with the simplified valve gear? I prefer the older one for 2 reasons, one is the full valve gear and two, all the drivers are geared together with spur gears. New ones, I believe, depend on the side rods to transfer motion to the other drive wheels. I had one of the older ones with Delta control, I thought it ran really nice, even slowly. Took awhile of just letting it run with a nice load hooked on to break in the drive train though. Also check out the new class 24, that is what my starter set came with on my new start back into Marklin with digital control. It is also mostly made of metal. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline PhillipL  
#13 Posted : 30 May 2017 01:52:10(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I purchased the latest version.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 30 May 2017 12:20:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
couldn't agree more, , mine still runs, converted it to digital, it was a pity they didn't include a smoke generator, I've added one.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 30 May 2017 13:10:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I purchased the latest version.

I agree with your choice. I have both versions and prefer the smooth, silent slow running characteristics of the newer one.

The older version is quite nice too but shows its heritage, having been designed in the 1950s.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline PhillipL  
#16 Posted : 31 May 2017 12:08:00(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I purchased the current production model because I wanted the warranty and I wanted to be able to purchase parts easily if I needed to. I am relatively new to Marklin (I have been a DC modeler for years). I always wanted to try Marklin and jumped in by purchasing a small starter set. My purchases have been limited to the StartUp line (BR 89, BR 81, DHG 700 etc). I currently do not have a layout for my AC trains but rather set it up on a table when I run my trains. My goal is to have fun rather than being prototypical which I have been doing. I also plan to bring my grandchildren into Marklin but one is 3 years old and the other is one years old so I will have to wait a couple of years yet.

I was also attracted to Marklin because of this forum. Many of the DC forums can be judgmental and very prototype orientated., which is not the case here. I really appreciate the advice and help I have received here over the last couple of years.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline borntman  
#17 Posted : 01 June 2017 02:37:55(UTC)
borntman

United States   
I purchased the current production model because I wanted the warranty and I wanted to be able to purchase parts easily if I needed to. I am relatively new to Marklin (I have been a DC modeler for years). I always wanted to try Marklin and jumped in by purchasing a small starter set. My purchases have been limited to the StartUp line (BR 89, BR 81, DHG 700 etc). I currently do not have a layout for my AC trains but rather set it up on a table when I run my trains. My goal is to have fun rather than being prototypical which I have been doing. I also plan to bring my grandchildren into Marklin but one is 3 years old and the other is one years old so I will have to wait a couple of years yet.

I was also attracted to Marklin because of this forum. Many of the DC forums can be judgmental and very prototype orientated., which is not the case here. I really appreciate the advice and help I have received here over the last couple of years.

To chime in I am in a similar position as I don't have a layout or care too much for overly prototypical operation, I prefer to run trains and have fun not count rivets (though I have no problem with rivet counting as I can learn useful things myself). I also agree that this forum is very non judgemental and friendly which is a good thing.
Offline rugauger  
#18 Posted : 05 June 2017 14:33:37(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
... I also plan to bring my grandchildren into Marklin but one is 3 years old and the other is one years old so I will have to wait a couple of years yet.

If they can sit up unaided, the can operate a controller. If they can operate a controller, they're old enough Wink

Richard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rugauger
Offline PhillipL  
#19 Posted : 06 June 2017 03:04:34(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
Originally Posted by: rugauger Go to Quoted Post
... I also plan to bring my grandchildren into Marklin but one is 3 years old and the other is one years old so I will have to wait a couple of years yet.

If they can sit up unaided, the can operate a controller. If they can operate a controller, they're old enough Wink

I have found the hard way that they can be very destructive while just being curious. I have had to do some emergency repairs to my existing DC layout after a couple of minutes time with them. I am going to wait a bit to the point where they are not grabbing everything.
Offline dominator  
#20 Posted : 06 June 2017 06:31:39(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
My 3 year old grand daughter often asks to go play with the trains. She has a basic idea of how to turn the knobs and make things go and she likes making the whistle blow on my [ new to me ] BR64. I would not let them at that age be alone as their attention span isnt that great at that age and often she starts exploring whatever else takes her fancy in the train room. They are cute at that age though.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline PhillipL  
#21 Posted : 07 June 2017 01:50:43(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
My 3 year old grand daughter often asks to go play with the trains. She has a basic idea of how to turn the knobs and make things go and she likes making the whistle blow on my [ new to me ] BR64. I would not let them at that age be alone as their attention span isnt that great at that age and often she starts exploring whatever else takes her fancy in the train room. They are cute at that age though.

Dereck

Mine are also absolutely adorable as well. They love playing with Thomas plastic trains we bought them.