Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2017 23:45:28(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I just noticed that MSL has bumped up their shipping rate for non-Germany EU orders of €100 or more from €1 to €3.9, and Lokshop from €8 to €9.5.
Peanuts for those who order from other continents. But perhaps you should check their posted rates for any changes in your case too.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2017 11:04:33(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
any idea who is MSL could it be Modell shop Lippe ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline countrylink  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2017 11:46:52(UTC)
countrylink

Australia   
Sure is John.Good shop to deal with,but their postage rates have gone up a fair bit.
Offline Jabez  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2017 15:33:32(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Yep, their logo is MSL, and yes, a good shop to deal with.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2017 20:21:53(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I agree that MSL is a very good shop to deal with. When MSL shipped my ESU V200 to me here in the US last December I paid 31€, which I thought was very fair.

But when I needed to return it for warranty work the cheapest rate I could find was over 200€!

So what people on the continent pay for shipping is indeed peanuts compared to what it might be elsewhere in the world.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Jabez  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2017 20:05:23(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
It bites the other way too. I used to keep coral reef fish tanks and some of the best lighting systems etc. then could only be sourced in the US. I can still feel the postage/shipping pain.Blink
Jabez.
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2017 21:14:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I agree that MSL is a very good shop to deal with. When MSL shipped my ESU V200 to me here in the US last December I paid 31€, which I thought was very fair.

But when I needed to return it for warranty work the cheapest rate I could find was over 200€!

So what people on the continent pay for shipping is indeed peanuts compared to what it might be elsewhere in the world.

Hi Jim,

Are you sure that's the cheapest? I often buy locos from sellers in the US and the postage is never more than 20-30 US dollars. Have you tried going to your nearest post office with the box and asking them how much it would cost to post to Germany?

€200 seems a somewhat excessive amount for a parcel which would be less than 1 kg in weight.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 05 April 2017 01:58:12(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
[ Have you tried going to your nearest post office with the box and asking them how much it would cost to post to Germany?
€200 seems a somewhat excessive amount for a parcel which would be less than 1 kg in weight.

I agree that it is excessive. But the last package I shipped to Canada using the US Postal Service cost almost $50 USD!

In general FedEx is the cheapest overseas shipper available to individual consumers in the US, although as Tom has pointed out there are third party shippers who claim to ship for less. However that may not be taking the volume of the package into consideration on those estimates. The FedEx website showed about $40 based on just weight for my ESU loco, but once they measured the dimensions of the box it soared to $235 USD. I don't know that it would really be cheaper to use a third party shipper, but it could hardly cost more. If my ESU loco breaks again I guess I will have to spend more time seeing if there are any better options out there for me. Several friends have told me that they never pay the shipping cost to Europe if the parts to fix a loco are less than $100 USD or so.

Just remember to be thankful that you are so close to the heart of model railroading and enjoy way cheaper shipping than some of us do. I also pay a 3% out of country charge on my MasterCard every time I make a purchase outside of the US.

First world problems, I know - but it does cut into the old model railroad budget. BigGrin

Cheers.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 05 April 2017 13:18:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
[ Have you tried going to your nearest post office with the box and asking them how much it would cost to post to Germany?

I agree that it is excessive. But the last package I shipped to Canada using the US Postal Service cost almost $50 USD!

In general FedEx is the cheapest overseas shipper available to individual consumers in the US, although as Tom has pointed out there are third party shippers who claim to ship for less. However that may not be taking the volume of the package into consideration on those estimates. The FedEx website showed about $40 based on just weight for my ESU loco, but once they measured the dimensions of the box it soared to $235 USD. I don't know that it would really be cheaper to use a third party shipper, but it could hardly cost more. If my ESU loco breaks again I guess I will have to spend more time seeing if there are any better options out there for me. Several friends have told me that they never pay the shipping cost to Europe if the parts to fix a loco are less than $100 USD or so.

Just remember to be thankful that you are so close to the heart of model railroading and enjoy way cheaper shipping than some of us do. I also pay a 3% out of country charge on my MasterCard every time I make a purchase outside of the US.

First world problems, I know - but it does cut into the old model railroad budget. BigGrin

Cheers.

Hi Jim,

How do you explain the much lower postage costs that I have paid when I have bought a loco from the US? I do so regularly and the postage has always been reasonable.

Here is an example of a loco on ebay quoting $40 for postage to Gibraltar.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...25c61:g:N5YAAOSw32lY0nOa

and here's another with postage to Gibraltar quoted as under $30

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...6affa:g:73kAAOSwImRYi5eC

You'll agree these are nowhere near the amount that you mention in your posts.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline dickinsonj  
#10 Posted : 05 April 2017 13:49:08(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

How do you explain the much lower postage costs that I have paid when I have bought a loco from the US? I do so regularly and the postage has always been reasonable.

Well, I can't really explain it Ray and I wish I could.

When I bought the ESU loco from MSL they charged me 30,89€ for shipping, so I was totally unprepared for what I found when I needed to ship it back to Germany. The FedEx counter agent told me he never buys from outside the US because that even with his employee discount the shipping costs too much if he needs to return something. The next time I need to ship internationally I guess I will have to drive around the metro area here in central Ohio and see if I can turn up a better rate, but I have already tried the US Postal Service, UPS and FedEx without finding anything less expensive.

Believe me, I would love to find a cheaper shipping solution but so far I have not been able to.
Regards,
Jim

Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 06 April 2017 18:57:11(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The FedEx website showed about $40 based on just weight for my ESU loco, but once they measured the dimensions of the box it soared to $235 USD.

How big was this box? It should not cost more than $40-50 to ship over the Atlantic; if it gets big and heavy then ship US Postal as that would surely be cheaper than Fedex/UPS, as one has slower options.

Or were you shipping this next day or 2 day or some express delivery way?

For $235 one way your getting close to the cost of an airline ticket to take it in personally and get a short vacation out of it while you wait for the repair.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 07 April 2017 01:47:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Or were you shipping this next day or 2 day or some express delivery way?

For $235 one way your getting close to the cost of an airline ticket to take it in personally and get a short vacation out of it while you wait for the repair.

I put the ESU box in an outer box for protection and that box was about 45x35x15 cm. Not small but then not huge either. It might have cost less at the US Post Office but I decided to send it to my friend here in Ohio for $14, and I didn't bother shopping around more.

And no, not expedited shipping at all - I specifically asked for their best rate and told the guy I didn't really care when it got there.

It seems that shipping rates have soared. I got a heavy jacket from California and had to exchange it. I put it in the UPS bag it came in (for free) and took it to the local UPS office. After they measured it the cost was $75 USD for ground to freaking California. I laughed and told her I would donate it to charity and buy another one rather than pay that. The counter agent took it out of the bag and shoved it into the smallest box she could get it to fit into. That slashed the price th $33 - again, ground to California. My Insider VT 95.9 cost me $45 just to ship it to British Columbia. The last large order I got from British Columbia (in January) cost me over $75, which normally would be $35-$40.

I don't claim that any of the prices that I have been quoted or paid make any sense to me, but there are only so many shipping venues available to me and I have not found one to be vastly cheaper than another. I am not some troll making wild claims about shipping costs to get attention, just a poor sod who bought too much crap from outside his country.

I talked to a friend who's wife sells stuff overseas. He said that they best prices they could get were using US Postal Service, printing out the labels themselves and then lying about the contents and their value. I guess that is one option although not my first choice.
Regards,
Jim