Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jsmatlak  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2017 07:12:14(UTC)
jsmatlak

United States   
Hello- I recently purchased a very beautiful O gauge TWE 12930 20V from Germany. When I place it on the tracks on my 3-rail Lionel layout, the lights come on and it will only make a buzzing sound when the reverser switch is put in forward or reverse (it won't move). The seller described the unit as running. I read on another post on this forum that these units were designed to run on either DC or AC. Is there something that needs to be done to switch between AC and DC operation? The buzzing sound from the motor sounds like it is expecting to receive DC but is of course receiving AC on my layout.

Also, how do you remove the motor from the chassis? Can this be done without removing the roof?

Thank you for any advice.
s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (15).jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jsmatlak
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2017 11:52:19(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Usually you can turn the part which looks like a whistle or an antenna on the roof. That's a hidden nut which holds a thread on the upper part of the boogie. Here are some pictures of the boogie: http://alte-modellbahnen...-eines-TWE-zerlegen.html
Often such models have been converted to DC to remote control the direction. A picture of the boogie outside the car would help.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2017 17:27:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jsmatlak Go to Quoted Post
Hello- I recently purchased a very beautiful O gauge TWE 12930 20V from Germany. When I place it on the tracks on my 3-rail Lionel layout, the lights come on and it will only make a buzzing sound when the reverser switch is put in forward or reverse (it won't move). The seller described the unit as running. I read on another post on this forum that these units were designed to run on either DC or AC. Is there something that needs to be done to switch between AC and DC operation? The buzzing sound from the motor sounds like it is expecting to receive DC but is of course receiving AC on my layout.

Also, how do you remove the motor from the chassis? Can this be done without removing the roof?

s-l1600 (15).jpg

What sort of track are you trying to run it on? With that pickup show it needs solid centre rail rail, not centre studs. To run it on modern track you will need to change to a modern pick up shoe.

If you are trying to run on centre studs i suspect the pickup shoe is catching on the studs.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2017 18:28:30(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

What sort of track are you trying to run it on? With that pickup show it needs solid centre rail rail, not centre studs. To run it on modern track you will need to change to a modern pick up shoe.

If you are trying to run on centre studs i suspect the pickup shoe is catching on the studs.

This is O gauge , Alan! Wink

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2017 19:10:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

This is O gauge , Alan! Wink

Ah .. Blushing
Offline jsmatlak  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2017 04:52:28(UTC)
jsmatlak

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Usually you can turn the part which looks like a whistle or an antenna on the roof. That's a hidden nut which holds a thread on the upper part of the boogie. Here are some pictures of the boogie: http://alte-modellbahnen...-eines-TWE-zerlegen.html
Often such models have been converted to DC to remote control the direction. A picture of the boogie outside the car would help.

Regards

Markus

Markus- thank you for your reply. I am still not clear on how to remove the roof. On the clockwork TWE 930 there are two tabs which hold it on:
Marklin TWE 930 roof removed.jpg

On the TWE 12930 these tabs are also there (and they are already straight), but the roof does not want to come off in the same way. Is there something besides these two tabs that is holding on the roof?
Marklin TWE 930 (top) and TWE 12930.jpgMarklin TWE 12930 roof tabs.jpg

Thank you
Offline jsmatlak  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2017 05:21:41(UTC)
jsmatlak

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Markus

I have solved the question- the seller explained that to remove the roof you simply loosen the silver-colored standoff located at the center of the train. After taking out the power unit the added rectifier was obvious. I removed it and re-established the original wiring using the photos you provided and it now runs perfectly. Thanks!

Marklin TWE 12930 roof removal.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jsmatlak