Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Donb  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2017 18:15:59(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi all,

On one of my 30501 locos , in the bogie with the slider pickup, the center wheel stops rotating intermittently. So i removed the slider and cover to have a look, while the front and rear wheel have metal springs, the center wheel does not. So there doesnt appear to be anything pressing the axle down so the wheels contact the track, other than gravity.
I have oiled the axle slightly, no difference.

The other loco in the set is ok.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Don
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2017 05:16:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
In order to properly function on model train narrow radii, the centre axle on the Maerklin Ae 6/6 (3050/3332/30501) is designed so that the wheels on that axle have different flanges that allow the bogie to rotate on the tight radii without forcing the train off the tracks.

I do not have the 30501, so I am basing my comments on my 3050. I am not familiar with springs on the wheels. There may be contacts to connect the axles to the body of the bogie insert, which then connects to the chassis, providing the return voltage (brown) contact between rail and motor.

If the axle is not freely rotating, it could be that something is stuck interfering in the motion of the axle, the axle could be bent (should be visible when rotating) or the slot in the bogie insert that the axle passes through may be compressing against the axle, impeding motion.

The part number to replace the bogie insert with wheels is E216980

If your model is within warranty, you may want to contact your dealer or service(at)maerklin.de

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Harryv40  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2017 17:09:16(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Don
My understanding is that the basic chassis on 30501-1 & 30501-2 should be the same, so I recommend e mailing Marklin to query the issue with them to query with them if a part is missing.

Harry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 30 March 2017 17:51:44(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Donb Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

On one of my 30501 locos , in the bogie with the slider pickup, the center wheel stops rotating intermittently. So i removed the slider and cover to have a look, while the front and rear wheel have metal springs, the center wheel does not. So there doesnt appear to be anything pressing the axle down so the wheels contact the track, other than gravity.
I have oiled the axle slightly, no difference.

The other loco in the set is ok.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Don

Just like Mike C suggested, the middle axle should be running *very* freely.
If it's not the case, something must be caught between the wheels/axles and the chassis of the bogie.
It's easy to check!
Unscrew the pick up (long screw!) , and lift the contact plate.
Be careful not to break the contact wire!!
Please notice that this piece of plastic has notches corresponding to those on the bogie.
Any obstruction/ debris/ pich/ bend/ etc...should be easy to spot/diagnose now.
Reassemble in the reverse order.
Voilà.
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2017 20:47:26(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Just out of curiosity, make sure that the axle/wheels are not rubbing against the plastic brake pads of the outer part of the bogie.
I had a model where the part was slightly deformed and was rubbing against one of the wheels. A little twist with a pair of pliers and the wheel was not longer being impeded.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Donb  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2017 20:42:14(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
I took it apart as Jaques suggested and it looks fine, no binding. The wheel appears to be free and spins freely by hand.
I checked the plastic part of the bogie, and even bent it slighly to make sure it isnt rubbing.
Result: no change.
So for some reason the wheel intermittently stops turning.
Ill monitor it, continue to look for a reason.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Don
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 02 April 2017 01:07:29(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Donb Go to Quoted Post
I took it apart as Jaques suggested and it looks fine, no binding. The wheel appears to be free and spins freely by hand.
I checked the plastic part of the bogie, and even bent it slighly to make sure it isnt rubbing.
Result: no change.
So for some reason the wheel intermittently stops turning.
Ill monitor it, continue to look for a reason.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Don

Just a thought Don, seeing as you have two, why not swap that individual wheel set between the two Locos?, that may help isolate if there is an issue with the wheel/axle or with the truck frame.

Might not be apparent to the naked eye but could be a slight manufacturing burr left causing just enough friction.

Divide and conquer 🙂

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 02 April 2017 01:42:24(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Just out of curiosity, make sure that the axle/wheels are not rubbing against the plastic brake pads of the outer part of the bogie.
I had a model where the part was slightly deformed and was rubbing against one of the wheels. A little twist with a pair of pliers and the wheel was not longer being impeded.

Regards

Mike C

Yes - I have had the same thing as well.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.