Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2017 00:06:32(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So I'm gonna ask my bonehead question here as Mr Google in both English and German hasn't clarified, or searches on Stummi... and I'm sure I may get an "if you search with < term x> you get the answer"... but here goes nonetheless....

So I am purchasing an electric tram (Roco Düwag model) that comes with a NEM 652 interface to install a DCC decoder.
I know I can operate any such DCC decoder since the Mobile/Central Stations speak DCC.

But I'd like to also get useful sound: enter the option ESU LokSound 4, which seem to be a very oft used and usefull sound capable decoder.

Better still, ESU offers a Düwag tram sound scene / sound file for download.

BUT, I'm only buying this one decoder and need this one sound scene uploaded to it, I don't want to buy an ESU LokProgrammer just for this one case.

So, can an ESU sound scene / sound file (.esux) be uploaded into the ESU LokSound with any other hardware/software other than the ESU LokProgrammer?

IE can a Central Station do it? Other options?

I'm asking the shops I may buy the LokSound 4 if they can program it with the .esux file before the ship it to me, but in anticipation of them maybe saying no, I'd like to know my other options.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Hackcell  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2017 05:52:40(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
So I'm gonna ask my bonehead question here as Mr Google in both English and German hasn't clarified, or searches on Stummi... and I'm sure I may get an "if you search with < term x> you get the answer"... but here goes nonetheless....

So I am purchasing an electric tram (Roco Düwag model) that comes with a NEM 652 interface to install a DCC decoder.
I know I can operate any such DCC decoder since the Mobile/Central Stations speak DCC.

But I'd like to also get useful sound: enter the option ESU LokSound 4, which seem to be a very oft used and usefull sound capable decoder.

Better still, ESU offers a Düwag tram sound scene / sound file for download.

BUT, I'm only buying this one decoder and need this one sound scene uploaded to it, I don't want to buy an ESU LokProgrammer just for this one case.

So, can an ESU sound scene / sound file (.esux) be uploaded into the ESU LokSound with any other hardware/software other than the ESU LokProgrammer?

IE can a Central Station do it? Other options?

I'm asking the shops I may buy the LokSound 4 if they can program it with the .esux file before the ship it to me, but in anticipation of them maybe saying no, I'd like to know my other options.

Far as I know, no. Only the lokprogrammer can do it, not even the ECOS.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2017 06:01:26(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thanks for the info. Luckily one can order them preloaded with the corresponding sound scene so solong as I do not need to change the sounds from that initial load I'm good to go.

---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2017 23:07:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the info. Luckily one can order them preloaded with the corresponding sound scene so solong as I do not need to change the sounds from that initial load I'm good to go.

You could get the file loaded into a Loksound M4 if you wanted an mfx decoder.

If you can use JMRI with your DCC controller you can use JMRI to set up the CVs how you want. They guy that has written the code that handles Loksound decoders has made it look and feel very much like the Lokprogrammer - with the only exception being that it cannot download the sound files. He has had a lot of help from ESU to get it right and has a great understanding of them.

As a side issue to this do note that it can be worth downloading the ESU lokprogrammer software which is free. You can load the sound project and play around with changes you wish to make and export or print off a list of CV changes you wish to make and import those changes into JMRI for downloading into the decoder.

Hope this helps, sounds like a great project (pun intended Laugh )

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2017 23:29:46(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thanks kiwiAlan,

Though the trick of getting the sound file into the decoder, for DCC operation, thats only possible via the LokProgrammer hardware it seems.
I can change the CVs with my Mobile Station I would think, but its not the CVs but the uploading of the sounds file to the LokSound decoder thats the challenge.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2017 00:09:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks kiwiAlan,

Though the trick of getting the sound file into the decoder, for DCC operation, thats only possible via the LokProgrammer hardware it seems.
I can change the CVs with my Mobile Station I would think, but its not the CVs but the uploading of the sounds file to the LokSound decoder thats the challenge.

Yes the Lokprogrammer is the only way to load the files into the decoder. But as you have noted most suppliers of ESU decoders will do this for you.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 03 March 2017 20:03:52(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Yep, thanks all.

So the summary, for those that may come to this thread via a search in the future is (as of March 2017 at least):

1) If you want to upload the sound scenes / files into an ESU LokSound decoder yourself, the only way to do that is with the ESU LokProgrammer hardware. So thats a good option if you have many ESU sound decoders to program the sound into and if you are recording/mixing your own sounds to customize.

otherwise

2) Purchase a LokSound decoder and have the seller program the sound scene/file for you before they ship it - as a service to its customers.
Some do it for free, others may charge a small fee, and you just need to contact them for that service. Some have a big list of product number variations that are just the enumeration of the LokSound decoder + a specific sound scene/file, and you need to find the specific part in their product list (not always as easy as it should be, I'm looking at you LokShop.de).

#2 is my solution, since I'm only buying one decoder and won't need to change the sounds again (loading it with an electric tram sound scene, vs a locomotive default).
---
My YouTube Channel: