Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2017 22:14:31(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I want to interlock a turnout with a 3-aspect signal on a digital layout so that when the turnout is switched to 'straight' or 'deviation' the signal automatically changes to indicate Green or Green/Yellow.
Could this be done by connecting the appropriate signal aspect-change leads to the two turnout impulse outlets on a Viesmann 5211 decoder (or equivalent) so that actuating the turnout simultaneously actuates the appropriate signal aspect?
The 3rd signal aspect (Red) would obviously have to be separately connected to one of the next pair of decoder impulse outlets.
thanks for any suggestions.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2017 14:46:18(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes that would work as you describe
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2017 15:38:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I interconnect my turnouts and signals in that way, except that I use analogue control boxes.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline MarioFabro  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2017 16:51:03(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
I am also interested in this topic. I plan soon (after 15 years!) the construction of my layout. I found out that I can 3D print and self-build the signals. I do not plan for the track signals to operate automatically (there is too much connectivity required) but I would like the turnout signals to be switched with the turnout automatically. I plan on using SBB standards such as this:

Example of SBB turnout signal

If I understand well, one light (lower) is always lit and the other changes according to the direction (straight or curve). Is this correct?

I figure that every turnout (Y type) will have three signals, two on the two tracks and one on the opposing side of the Y for that direction. Maybe someone can confirm this to me.

Real Life

The three signals should all be changed at the same time according to the position of the switch. I plan on using 60832 m83 decoders. My understanding is that these are temporary contact decoders (is it correct?) and thus I probably need to wire in a two-way relay switch. It's then just a matter of wiring it correctly.

Since I am a complete electrical/electronic novice, could someone help me with info and part numbers?

I will probably use micro-LEDs with a 3V voltage.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MarioFabro
Offline Robert Davies  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2017 20:23:30(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MarioFabro Go to Quoted Post
If I understand well, one light (lower) is always lit and the other changes according to the direction (straight or curve). Is this correct?

Two horizontally - Stop
Two vertically - Proceed
Two diagonally - Caution. The distance to run is limited either by another signal at stop or a train ahead

Direction is not the deciding factor. These indications are the same whether the train is proceeding in a straight line or being diverted at the turnout.

I have no doubt that when making a shunting movement the driver's actions are also governed by some rules over speed but I don't know the SBB Rule Book well enough to say.

You are right that there will generally be three signals per switch/point but they work independently and only show Proceed or Caution on the track on which the train is approaching.

Edited by user 23 February 2017 18:43:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline eroncelli  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2017 12:11:14(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
Same system is used in Italy in large yard/station; shunting operations may have different rules in each country, though.