Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Grumpy64  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2017 21:50:00(UTC)
Grumpy64

United States   
I am new to Marklin although I have been into "G" gauge railroading for many years. I primarily use Aristocraft 1:29 engines, cars, track and switches. I was given some Marklin items for Christmas and I am having a hard time identifying them as well as finding operating instructions. I am looking for someone knowledgeable to communicate with that can help me out. Anyone out there want to give it a try?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2017 22:07:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Welcome to the forum Grumpy. We will try to help you of course, but will need a bit more information than what you've given - some descriptions and photos of items will go a long way to help.
Offline Grumpy64  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2017 19:55:35(UTC)
Grumpy64

United States   
BIGDADDYNZ - Thanks for the welcome.DSC01907.JPGDSC01908.JPGDSC01909.JPGDSC01911.JPG I have attached photos of the engine and 2 cars that came with the set. Also included was the transformer, 12 pieces of curved track and 2 pieces of straight track. When I put the engine on my existing layout it moved forward but didn't run in reverse. When I inspected the transformer it looked like the output was only A/C. If that is correct then I am assuming that the engine isn't compatible with the D/C power supply on my existing layout. Does that sound right?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Grumpy
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2017 20:48:18(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Grumpy64 Go to Quoted Post
BIGDADDYNZ - Thanks for the welcome.

I have attached photos of the engine and 2 cars that came with the set. Also included was the transformer, 12 pieces of curved track and 2 pieces of straight track. When I put the engine on my existing layout it moved forward but didn't run in reverse. When I inspected the transformer it looked like the output was only A/C. If that is correct then I am assuming that the engine isn't compatible with the D/C power supply on my existing layout. Does that sound right?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Grumpy

Hi Grumpy (he says with a smile)...

What I believe you have there is MAXI Set 5441 available approx 1995 - 2001.

A review of the details indicates you have the correct controller as originally supplied.

The Loco (5450 basis) appears to have a Decoder and a Smoke unit.

http://www.maerklin.de/s...1&artikelnummer=5450

With those controller types, reversing is activated by a 'pulse' by briefly turning the control knob slightly back past the zero position. You should feel moderate spring resistance.

If you were to get a Digital controller then you should also have control of the Smoke unit. I do not know with this model whether the smoke unit is activated in analogue mode or not but it's generally advised not to allow smoke units to be on for extended periods without any oil in the burner or it may overheat and burn out.

MAXI is not my speciality, I have a couple of MAXI wagons, but only a normal 1-gauge Loco however someone here will have a one of these or a similar model and may be able to post up the original instructions.

Hope this initial information helps.

If you google "maxi 5441" you'll get plenty of images.

Regards

Cookee (only grumpy when other people are around, by myself I'm a pussycat) !! BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2017 21:40:36(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

As far as I remember, even with a digital controller, you can't control the smoke unit in the loco.

Usually there is a toggle-switch inside the loco, to turn on / off the smoking unit.

And, also as far as I remember without the manual in front of me, the decoder in your loco can run on AC ( The blue trafo you have ),
with a reversing pulse coming from the trafo or digital.

To run DC it came with an extra small PCB, which you should use instead of the decoder.

I can find a manual in a few days, if nobody else finds it before.

Per.

P.S: Just found this: https://www.marklin.com/...al1/components/maxi.html

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 20 January 2017 22:22:14(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Grumpy,

You can find the manual for the MAXI-locos on the Märklin-server.

Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/54505_betrieb.pdf

Copy the link and paste it to a new window. The manual describes how to exchange the PCB for digital/AC-operation and the the PCB for DC-operation.

Regards

Markus
Offline ColonyTrain  
#7 Posted : 10 April 2017 19:05:18(UTC)
ColonyTrain

India   
Hi,

I do not know if this is the correct section for this.

I have an early 1900s English market raised platform station. Can anyone identify the model etc.

IMG_20170402_173040018.jpg

It seems to be complete.

Thank You

Edited by moderator 11 April 2017 11:43:57(UTC)  | Reason: moved to 'Identify' thread

Offline Pmare4  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2017 06:43:07(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi Grumpy,

The station is a Marklin 2047 from 1924. It is designed for use with O gauge trains, but, like with most items of the time, it fits in nicely with 1 gauge trains as well.
In terms of value, a similar station (for the US market) sold for USD $475 in a slightly poorer condition.

Regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge