Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mike M  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2017 20:25:07(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Hi,

I have a Marklin 37740 lok,which all of a sudden started running erratic on my layout.Can not control speed just races off into the sunset on its own.I deleted the lok from my CS@,and tried to re-register.But it just races off at top speed.Spoke to my dealer and said it could be the decoder.I looked up the parts on the marklin website,but states decoder is no longer available.How could that be,the lok is only 3 yrs old? Good thing they don't supply parts for automobiles.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am interested in an Esu lok #31062.Any ideas where I might find this,dealers are sold out.

Thank you in advance Mike BigGrin
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2017 20:46:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Mike M Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I have a Marklin 37740 lok,which all of a sudden started running erratic on my layout.Can not control speed just races off into the sunset on its own.I deleted the lok from my CS@,and tried to re-register.But it just races off at top speed.Spoke to my dealer and said it could be the decoder.I looked up the parts on the marklin website,but states decoder is no longer available.How could that be,the lok is only 3 yrs old? Good thing they don't supply parts for automobiles.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am interested in an Esu lok #31062.Any ideas where I might find this,dealers are sold out.

Thank you in advance Mike BigGrin

Decoders are constantly evolving, so there is no real need to keep old models in stock as they can be replaced by newer versions. However if the loco has extensive functions it is not such a trivial matter to just swap the decoder for a new model as the functions may need to be mapped to different function keys to match the original.

I would say it would be a good idea to send the loco off to Marklin or the dealer for repair.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2017 21:55:37(UTC)
H0

Hi!
ESU's V 60 is a bit like Samsung Galaxy Note 7: very difficult to buy a new one.

If your V 160 is out of warranty, then maybe buy a retrofit decoder from Märklin or ESU, with or without sound. Will be much cheaper than a Märklin spare part decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline pederbc  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2017 22:58:02(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

When a digital locomotive (decoder) is on an analog track it will switch to analog mode. This is probably what is happening. It can be that the decoder just "think" that it is. I'm more familiar with ESU decoders, and on them it's possible to turn off the analog mode. Check to see if that is possible on your locomotives decoder.

/Peder
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2017 23:25:35(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
ESU's V 60 is a bit like Samsung Galaxy Note 7..............

Does it explode too ?? Blink

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Mike M  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2017 23:52:03(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

When a digital locomotive (decoder) is on an analog track it will switch to analog mode. This is probably what is happening. It can be that the decoder just "think" that it is. I'm more familiar with ESU decoders, and on them it's possible to turn off the analog mode. Check to see if that is possible on your locomotives decoder.

/Peder

This Lok ran perfect until now?? I don't think it is possible to switch this decoder to digital.
Offline baggio  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2017 05:27:18(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
My limited experience with decoders that "go" (die) is that FIRST the digital side of it goes but you can still run it in analogue.

Then the analogue side goes as well. I do not know for how long it will work in analogue, maybe forever.

As a result, it seems that you now have a loco with a life crisis: it's a digital loco but thinks it is an analogue loco and behaves accordingly.

An analogue loco on a digital layout takes off and you have no control over it.

The reason it takes off is that the digital tracks are on at around full electric power all the time, hence lots of power goes to the analogue loco. In turn, the loco then behaves as if it were on an analogue track with the transformer control moved all the way up (the way I like to run Marlin trains ... BigGrin ).

Try putting the loco on a true analogue layout and see what happens. I bet it will work just fine. You will be able to control it like any other analogue loco.

Careful, though, if you fool around with the decoder, you may lose the analogue side as well. I know, it happened to one of my locos.

Hope this helps.
Offline Mike M  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2017 06:09:21(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Thanks for your great response,Wouldn't it be easier just to replace the decoder?
I don't know anybody with a analogue layout.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2017 08:12:55(UTC)
H0

Wouldn't it be easier just to replace the decoder?
Testing on analogue is one test to see if the decoder is partially operational.
Swapping decoders with another loco could be another test.
If the problem is with the decoder then buying a new decoder will solve the issue. A silent decoder will do if you do not need sound.

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
ESU's V 60 is a bit like Samsung Galaxy Note 7..............

Does it explode too?
No, but it seems ESU destroyed all that were returned (and probably also some that never shipped). Since the model didn't reappear I assume there was a design flaw they could not fix easily.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0