Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2017 00:23:04(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
For the lovers of Marklin only.

I was I invited today to spend the afternoon helping an acquaintance (friend) operate his North American model train layout. The layout was large and finished beautifully in a gorgeous model train room. There were six of us all together. After a few minutes I realized I was not in Kansas anymore!

Long story short...........

Something is terribly wrong in the world today with these expensive Chinese made 2 rail model trains because they run like Scheisse! We spent more time trying to get these things to run than actually running them!

Once I left I realized again that I'm very grateful I made the switch to Marklin four years ago!

Long live Marklin!

Michel
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline baggio  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2017 02:42:47(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Did your friend ever try buying locos from: Walthers's, Roco, Lima, Rivarossi?

What brands did he use?

Sorry, Michel, but I have had MUCH more trouble from Marklin digital than 2 rail analogue (or digital, Roco, but for a short while only).

See you on the 28th and please bring a loco or two (2 rail) to run.

Ciao.

Silvano

BigGrin

Offline MaerklinLife  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2017 08:28:56(UTC)
MaerklinLife

I would like to see the layout's elerictic wiring, the state of the tracks, and the digital setup before I blame the locomotives. I have seem loads and loads of 2 rail layouts that all run perfectly fine. Most problems are caused by bad elerictric wiring on most layouts.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2017 08:54:14(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Some two-rail users do not use traction tyres at all. Some two-rail users run many trains with cleaning cars.
For every H0 track system there are recommended practices and possible problems.

Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Something is terribly wrong in the world today with these expensive Chinese made 2 rail model trains because they run like Scheisse!
I have some expensive Märklin three-rail models that run like Scheiße - and some of them are made in China.
And some are "Made in Germany" and run like Scheiße.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline sjbartels  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2017 09:06:50(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Some two-rail users do not use traction tyres at all. Some two-rail users run many trains with cleaning cars.
For every H0 track system there are recommended practices and possible problems.

Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Something is terribly wrong in the world today with these expensive Chinese made 2 rail model trains because they run like Scheisse!
I have some expensive Märklin three-rail models that run like Scheiße - and some of them are made in China.
And some are "Made in Germany" and run like Scheiße.

I agree, I have some Chinese models that are great, and one Hungarian model (which I shall dare not quote it's model number) that runs like a stuttering pig! At the end of the day, there are always going to be the A models from China as well as the B models, same with models made in Europe.

On a side note, my company has some medical diagnostic equipment thats made in Germany shipped to the US for us.... the last several months everything that we were getting was total junk, stuff installed backwards, you name it (and this is equipment for disease testing.... I know!). Turned out, they were launching a new piece of equipment that need all their top tier performers, so our piece was getting the B crew... same thought applies to this, lower end models get the lower end worker.... no matter what country it's coming from
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline jcrtrains  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2017 14:31:06(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I hate to say it that virtually every mass produced analogue engine I have works great. As soon as there is a decoder in it, the chances of it running well drop like a rock.

In the high end limited brass arena, only models by Christian Fuchs run well. All others are garbage for running. Forget the Falhaber engine etc, it will still be garbage running but great in a showcase.

I agree,the basics have to be there. Good track and wiring are the building blocks and without that, it doesn't matter what you run.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline michelvr  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2017 15:41:10(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good Morning fellow modelers,

The intent of my post was to inform and enlighten Marklin lovers, not to tie you into knots! Tie (someone) in(to) knots? To make someone confused, anxious, worried, and/or upset.

I was making reference to a particular manufacturer.

My reference was to Rapido Trains which are these expensive Chinese made 2 rail model trains.

These are Canadian prototype mode trains.

For example there was a nine car Rapido Trains Turbo Train that cost close to $1000.00 which could not pull itself along level track. Even at only at five cars it had trouble and it kept on hesitating like a stuttering pig!

Then there was this brand new Rapido Trains GMD-1. First time out of the box and all these plastic add on parts falling out! When he put it on the track the couplers were mounted too low to couple onto the freight cars. When it was finally was ready to run it kept on hesitating like a stuttering pig! Eventually giving up!

I could go on and on but enough is enough!

These Rapido Trains look great but don't run worth Scheiße!

Please understand I have NO issues with all the other 2 rail manufacturers which run excellent as I KNOW they do. As you know I was also a previous DCC 2 rail modeler, very happy with Atlas, Fleischmann, Kato, Roco TRIX.

I hope this clears up the confusion over these expensive Chinese made 2 rail model trains.

Regards,

Michel
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline michelvr  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2017 15:57:36(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Some reference for a stuttering pig.

The Case Of The Stuttering Pig

http://dai.ly/x4d8tdf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline baggio  
#9 Posted : 15 January 2017 16:24:38(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
I hate to say it that virtually every mass produced analogue engine I have works great. As soon as there is a decoder in it, the chances of it running well drop like a rock.

This comment makes me think a bit:

Is it FAIR to compare analogue quality to DIGITAL quality and blame Marklin when the latter falls short?

Is it the case that perhaps it is much more difficult to put together a digital locomotive that works well out of the box?

Then again, it has been Marklin's choice not to produce analogue locos any more.

Any thoughts on point?
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 15 January 2017 19:21:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It depends on how you define good running.

It is true to say that digital layouts need to be cleaned more often and dirty tracks and wheels have a greater effect on the performance.

However, analogue Marklin layouts always run too fast because it is impossible for the old AC motors to run slowly, so slow speed performance is terrible on AC analogue layouts compared to digital.

To sum up, simpler is more reliable, but not as realistic.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline baggio  
#11 Posted : 15 January 2017 19:38:04(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
so slow speed performance is terrible on AC analogue layouts

BigGrin Flapper ThumpUp

(By the way, Ray, yesterday I was watching an old movie, "The Day the Earth Stood Still", the original B & W version, at one point the alien suggested that to demonstrate the aliens' power he could pulverize Gibraltar Scared Scared , I said to myself, "NOOO, poor Ray". The alien must have heard me and changed his mind. ThumpUp)
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 16 January 2017 11:20:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
so slow speed performance is terrible on AC analogue layouts

BigGrin Flapper ThumpUp

(By the way, Ray, yesterday I was watching an old movie, "The Day the Earth Stood Still", the original B & W version, at one point the alien suggested that to demonstrate the aliens' power he could pulverize Gibraltar Scared Scared , I said to myself, "NOOO, poor Ray". The alien must have heard me and changed his mind. ThumpUp)

Ha ha!

BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#13 Posted : 16 January 2017 23:55:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
I belong to a US themed 2 rail model railroad club, which now uses DCC.
Even going back to the analogue days, the emphasis in the Club was on running well.
Clean track (a constant job), loco maintenance, rolling stock standards, and logical wiring were mandatory.
I must say that the scenicking of the layout, given the size, is also excellent.

Quite a few members have visited layouts in the US, and one of the impressions they got, was that many modellers there tend to concentrate on photogenics, realistic settings, and authenticity.
And it appeared that was at the expense of running quality.
There are very few layouts which achieve both.

And as has been said, I agree that Marklin equipment does make the ambition achievable for a home builder.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 23 January 2017 09:34:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Michel,
I'm not fully convinced you've used the availability of decoders which would make any brand loco run smoothly and Märklin, say 3 years ago wasn't one of them and today you pay a fortune to have your loco run smoothly under the Märklin brand and there aren't many options available to change the cost unless they are coming from a starter set whereas the amount for a loco may has been reduced.

I personally think there are several points of interest when it comes to model railway locos: the material is used, the motor, the gears, if any and the weight of the loco itself. so there isn't a great deal of things going wrong when you have options by using a decoder which is known to be suitable for a specific motor and these days there are decoders which you can program to a suitable speed, delayed acceleration or breaking speed,

I have not found 1 model train loco as yet, put it on the track and it runs either prototypical, has a prototypical delayed acceleration and breaking speed, has the light functions it should have unless I program the decoder.

if we include a smaller sized layout whereas a delayed acceleration or breaking distance is not possible to recreate a prototypical setup it still should have the smoothness of accelerating or breaking but at a faster rate.

it maybe helpful if we find out what type of decoder is in the loco and than we may know why you're not happy with its performance, and last, has the decoder been programmed at all ?

I'm sometimes horrified by the cost a manufacturer or dealer charges for a model, I've bought 2 locos, 1 from Liliput (diesel railcar) bought for Euro 69.00 instead of its RRP of Euro 265.00 and I wasn't impressed with the overall construction and materials they've used, the other from Jägerndorfer (ÖBB Rh 1163) how flimsy they've made them, it may represents details and is good enough to sit on the sideline but not used as prototypical model on your layout.

your topic heading: who rules the model railways ? its the buyer unless you are buying anything just because its a brand name, a model you like and later find out it has been a disaster, although most of my locos are made by Märklin (stopped buying them around the year 2000 but bought locos at a discounted price) I could never afford a loco for Euro 500.00, I just can't see the value in it., take the latest BR 103, the video shows the coupling between the loco and carriage doesn't work and this is what you call progress but they offer you 32 functions.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline michelvr  
#15 Posted : 23 January 2017 16:33:05(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
HI John,

All I'm trying to say is that I did not have an enjoyable day running 2 rail model trains and I realize that the change I made to Marklin was well worth it.

My topic heading: Who rules the model railways? Is very fitting since I now know quality when I run it.

Thanks for your post.

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Minok  
#16 Posted : 23 January 2017 22:21:19(UTC)
Minok

United States   
It depends on how you define good running.

It is true to say that digital layouts need to be cleaned more often and dirty tracks and wheels have a greater effect on the performance.

However, analogue Marklin layouts always run too fast because it is impossible for the old AC motors to run slowly, so slow speed performance is terrible on AC analogue layouts compared to digital.

To sum up, simpler is more reliable, but not as realistic.

That is indeed key. Analogue is highly fault tolerant to wheel and track dirt and electrical noise, because its just voltage. Its like AM radio, its a simple and rather bulletproof system but what can be done with it is limited by what can be done in the past 20 years.

The digital solutions today can do so much more, and offer so many more play/model capabilities, but the signaling system, since it is pushing so much more information though the same 2 conductor, friction contact channel, is quickly degraded by poor contact, noise, dirt.

Pull a loco out of the box and plop it on a track - the factory applied oiling can be a problem. Things rattle loose in shipment as well.

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134