Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mike M  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2017 18:43:32(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Hi, Can you tell me if there would be an issue to register an ESU locomotive to my Marklin CS2?

Also do I have to use the ESU smoke liquid or can I use the sleuthe liquid?

Cheers Mike
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2017 19:18:51(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Mike M Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Can you tell me if there would be an issue to register an ESU locomotive to my Marklin CS2?
Recent ESU locos have mfx and register just like other mfx locos.

I take no risk and use ESU fluid only.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline French_Fabrice  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2017 19:25:40(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   

Cheers Mike

HI Mike,

I have 4 ESU loks. 2 have a ESU Loksound V4, the 2 others have a ESU loksound M4 V4.
Loks having an M4 decoder may automatically register in the CS2.
Others need to be registered manually.

Personally, I've registered all my ESU loks manually with DCC protocol, in order to benefit the 23-26 functions available with recent loks (M4 is limited to 16 functions).
For the M4 decoders, I've disabled first the M4 protocol with a lokprogrammer, before registering the lok on the CS2.
No trouble at all.

About the smoke fluid, I've ordered the ESU one. I've not tried to use other fluids.

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline Mike M  
#4 Posted : 06 January 2017 20:49:12(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post

Cheers Mike

HI Mike,

I have 4 ESU loks. 2 have a ESU Loksound V4, the 2 others have a ESU loksound M4 V4.
Loks having an M4 decoder may automatically register in the CS2.
Others need to be registered manually.

Personally, I've registered all my ESU loks manually with DCC protocol, in order to benefit the 23-26 functions available with recent loks (M4 is limited to 16 functions).
For the M4 decoders, I've disabled first the M4 protocol with a lokprogrammer, before registering the lok on the CS2.
No trouble at all.

About the smoke fluid, I've ordered the ESU one. I've not tried to use other fluids.

Cheers
Fabrice

Thank you for your prompt response.Could you explain a bit further on disabling M4 protocol with a lokprogrammer and I guess the DCC option is available on the CS2.

Cheers Mike
Offline French_Fabrice  
#5 Posted : 06 January 2017 21:42:22(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
See doc of lokpilot M4 decoder, chapter 7.2.4 for the explanation of how M4 protocol works, and various protocol priorities.

If you use a CS2, and IF the mfx protocol is enabled in the CS2, then the M4 decoder will register first using mfx.
As stated in the doc, DCC with railcom+ has the highest priority, but the CS2 hasn't this feature.
So the next protocol is mfx, then MM or standard DCC at the same priority level.

To avoid registering with M4 (i.e. mfx), I use the lokprogrammer on my test bench to disable the mfx protocol bit (and I also program a DCC long address). Then I can register my ESU lok in the CS2 using DCC.

If you don't have a lokprogrammer and still want to disable M4, first disable mfx protocol in the CS2 -but keep DCC active !, then register manually your loco using DCC.
After your loco is registered, change content of CV47 to disable M4 protocol (see doc chapter 9.5) - bit 1 should be 0.
And finally, re-enable mfx protocol on the CS2. As the bit 1 of CV47 (M4 protocol) is 0, this lok will never be detected by the CS2 as a mfx lok.

Cheers
fabrice
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 07 January 2017 01:57:55(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

To avoid registering with M4 (i.e. mfx), I use the lokprogrammer on my test bench to disable the mfx protocol bit (and I also program a DCC long address). Then I can register my ESU lok in the CS2 using DCC.

I have a new ESU lok which I have not yet had the chance to register and that is great advice Fabrice.

I assume that you can delete a lok that has already registered as M4 but I also assume that it is a lot easier to just avoid the whole problem in the first place. I definitely want my new V200 to register as DCC and not M4.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Mike M  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2017 06:12:16(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I have a new ESU lok which I have not yet had the chance to register and that is great advice Fabrice.

I assume that you can delete a lok that has already registered as M4 but I also assume that it is a lot easier to just avoid the whole problem in the first place. I definitely want my new V200 to register as DCC and not M4.

Can you tell me the advantages/disadvatages between DCC vs MfX ?? This is the part of the hobby which is unclear to me

Cheers Mike
Offline French_Fabrice  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2017 08:59:41(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi,

It's mainly a matter of personal taste.

But, until so far:
-Current mfx implementation suffers sometimes from bad auto recognition (see numerous post from members having trouble with lok no more/never discovered)
-Current mfx implementation is limited to 16 functions (DCC is 28 functions). However if you have a CS2, even with DCC, you cannot interact manually with F16->F28. You need a PC with a software (iTrain, Rocrail, TC, etc...) to be able to access such functions above F15.

On the other side, the CS3 will be able to address 32 functions with mfx. Waiting for software update...
I've also read somewhere (?) that a software update should also be available in the future for the CS2 to address 32 functions.

To be honest, 32 functions is too much in my opinion. But sometimes 16 functions is a bit too short. As a result, DCC fully satisfies my expectations, and it works perfectly.

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 07 January 2017 09:07:52(UTC)
H0

Can you tell me the advantages/disadvatages between DCC vs MfX?
The ESU decoders support 29 functions using DCC.

The GUI of the CS2 is limited to 16 functions for both DCC and mfx.
To take advantage of more than 16 functions with the CS2, you have to use external controllers (e.g. PC control).

The CS2 is supposed to receive a GUI upgrade with support for more than 16 functions later this year. Until then, DCC may not offer advantages for you.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 07 January 2017 10:41:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've never had any problems with ESU locos registering on my CS2 with M4. Likewise my KM-1 1 Gauge BR01, which has an ESU Loksound 4.0 XL with M4.

I'm not sure what you're worried about.

The ESU and KM-1 locos also register with M4 on my Ecos. They also register with Railcom once I disable M4 and enable DCC and Railcom (Locos register with the Ecos using Railcom in less than half the time of M4).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz