Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sjbartels  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2016 05:08:50(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Howdy all

This weekend I fell into obtained two Piko AC loks, (so it looks like my flirtation with Piko is increasing more than ever). They are models 57291 and 59346 respectively. I am not overly happy with the decoders presently installed and will eventually replace them (I have other slightly more pressing projects right now), but in the here and now my problem is both loks naturally have the same address and so can't run them both at the same time. I did attempt to change them like you do with other Marklin loks, but that didn't work (not completely shocking), so my question is, using CS2, is there a way I can change the address of one of these models? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2016 05:45:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
Howdy all

This weekend I fell into obtained two Piko AC loks, (so it looks like my flirtation with Piko is increasing more than ever). They are models 57291 and 59346 respectively. I am not overly happy with the decoders presently installed and will eventually replace them (I have other slightly more pressing projects right now), but in the here and now my problem is both loks naturally have the same address and so can't run them both at the same time. I did attempt to change them like you do with other Marklin loks, but that didn't work (not completely shocking), so my question is, using CS2, is there a way I can change the address of one of these models? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

it would be helpful if we get a picture of the decoders or if you know the brand name this would also help. I assume they both are set on number 3, unless they are second hand locos they should be ESU decoders and you shouldn't have any problems with them but they may need programming to get better driving characteristics.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline sjbartels  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2016 06:11:20(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Howdy all

Thanks

it would be helpful if we get a picture of the decoders or if you know the brand name this would also help. I assume they both are set on number 3, unless they are second hand locos they should be ESU decoders and you shouldn't have any problems with them but they may need programming to get better driving characteristics.

John

Yes, they are both set on number 3. When I make a cursory look at them earlier, based on the appearance they look like the decoder that came with the original lok. That and also based on the limited capabilities of the lok, I can't see anyone in their right mind installing this level of decoder as a third party
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2016 08:19:47(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Yes, they are both set on number 3.
Register the loco as DCC and change the address (must be done on the programming track).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline sjbartels  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2016 16:34:10(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Yes, they are both set on number 3.
Register the loco as DCC and change the address (must be done on the programming track).

That's exactly what I was doing. I can read the lok just fine, it's just not letting me write the new address to the lok, thats the frustrating part
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2016 17:11:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Have you tried to change the address using Marklin Motorola?

Using my MS2 I find that I need to change the address of my Piko locos in both MM and DCC for the change to work properly. I assume it's because the decoder is listening for both protocols and gets confused if they are set to different addresses.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline sjbartels  
#7 Posted : 05 December 2016 17:33:57(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Using my MS2 I find that I need to change the address of my Piko locos in both MM and DCC for the change to work properly. I assume it's because the decoder is listening for both protocols and gets confused if they are set to different addresses.

I'm open to any suggestions Ray... that being said, whilst I've heard of it, I've never used Marklin Motorola... what do I need to do?

Thanks
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 05 December 2016 20:02:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

I'm open to any suggestions Ray... that being said, whilst I've heard of it, I've never used Marklin Motorola... what do I need to do?

Thanks

MM or MM2 probably, should be available as one of the protocols in your CS2
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline sjbartels  
#9 Posted : 05 December 2016 20:23:34(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   

Thanks

MM or MM2 probably, should be available as one of the protocols in your CS2

Perfect, I'll try that when I get back from my business trip. Thanks!