Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2016 10:39:17(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi. I have tested the voltage outputs of nearly all my Blue transformer.
Basically, on low power there seems to be 6 volt, my highest on full power was 18 volts and the highest reverse voltage was nearly 28 volts.

I understand I will have to fit some sort of voltage regulator and it seems I will need to reduce the voltage down to 4 volts based on the lowest transformer output if I want the lights to work when the lowest power is applied.

I also understand i will need to fit a bridge rectifier in the power supply to the LED"S.

My aim is to run three head lamps and 2 tail lamps [2mm LED's], running in forwards, and change over to the same when in revers. I also want to fit a flashing orange lamp [ 2mm flashing LED ] on the roof. [ of course there is stuff all room for this ]

I figure that I should run all LEDs from the power supply, and switch on the earth circuit.

In this first test case, I am working on my 3080 and it seems that the reverse mechanism works by changing the earth for the field coils.

I am hoping to mount all the lights in the body and have 4 contact points on which the body will rest to provide the current. [
this will enable removing the body for servicing without have to undo wires

I may be being optimistic, but am a stubborn bastardMad FlapperBlushing and I wont be defeated
[ apart from my lack of knowledge about electronicsConfused ]

There are lots of deal on Ebay for LED's, Bridge rectifiers[KPB310??]and voltage regulators [ LD1117V33 voltage regulator or 7804 ]

Hope someone can help me get on the right track

Dereck

Edited by moderator 11 January 2018 11:19:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline tiono  
#2 Posted : 27 September 2016 04:08:16(UTC)
tiono

United States   
You will need a diode (or bridge), small capacitor, and a LED driver.
Any small 1A diode will do, and small capacitor of around 1uF/50V.
The LED driver is a constant current, similar size as a diode, which can provide 10mA and can withstand max 50V. e.g.: http://www.digikey.sg/pr...50010YT1GOSCT-ND/2409698
By using constant current driver, the LED's brightness will not be affected by the changes of track voltage. And no resistor is required.
Please note: DC voltage after rectification should be multiplied by approx 1.4 from its AC voltage
e.g.: if the highest voltage is 28V AC, then the highest DC voltage would be 39.2V
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tiono
Offline dominator  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2016 04:28:51(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Thanks tiono. I have been searching for solutions and going round in circles. I will check this out and report back with the results.

All the best. Dereck
Offline dominator  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2016 08:15:21(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I can report that this project is going to be successful. I have been studying how to go about this project and have accumulated enough materials to prove it works. I bought 10 flashing LED's, 100 warm white LEDs, resistors 50 of the Digikey CCR's that tiono recommended, various PCB's, 100 Bridge Rectifiers, 2 small digital volt meters and a Breadboard to test the circuitry. I am waiting to receive 100 red/white 3 terminal LED.s as well. Of course I bought a decent solder station to do the work.
the NS150010YT1G CCr's [ 5mmx3mmx1.5mm body size]really tiny and they are not so easy to deal with. the Tiny Bridge rectifiers
[ 5mmx4mmx3mm body size ]were a bit easier to solder wires to.

I think I blew the first test LED by connecting the CCR the wrong way round. [ shit you need a microscope to read the wring on these ] I decided to use 3 diodes in series as well and the circuit then lit 3 LED's. I fitted one of the Flashing LED's in the circuit as well and the whole lot flashed so that means I have to run a separate circuit for that one.

With the tranny on low power the voltage at the LED's was about 2.4 volts indicated, at full power it was about 2.4 volts and with the reverse button held down the voltage went up to 2.6 volts. There is a difference in the brightness of the LED's during this test but it is so minimal that I doubt you would notice it while running your loco.

I decided to buy 2mm tower Leds because you can drill 2mm or 5/64th hole and they fit in the body where the lights normally go.

So all you guys out there that want to stay with analogue, you can replace your bulbs with LED's . You could also convert all your M track points to LEDs as well, and if you are cleaver [ which you must be of course because you own Marklin ]you could use bi colour LED's so that you can see at a glance which way your point is set.
Dereck

Edited by user 01 December 2016 20:13:48(UTC)  | Reason: spelling, what else

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 01 December 2016 20:26:06(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
well, I have finally got my bi colour LED's. But, in the mean time I have found 2 problems.

firstly, the testing on the breadboard shows me everything to do with the front and rear lights works with the engine running. I do however have to figure out a method of making a reversing mechanism. I can do it mehanically but that is going to be slightly messy, time consuming and probably not easily replicated. If any one has any ideas on how to achieve this i would be grateful?

Secondly, while the engine is running, the flashing LED goes haywire on low power and goes out anything above say 1/4 throttle on the 278 tranny I am using. The light comes back on at the lower power settings again, but it does not flash regularly like it does at all power settings without the loco connected in the circuitry. That's got me stumped.

If anyone has any ideas on what is up here i would be please to get the help.

I am hoping there might be some micro device out there [ like an on/off relay possibly ] that can be used. I realize I my have to use a bridge rectifier and CCR in this circuit as well [ or do I ]. Probably time I drew up the circuits I have and posted them here. might have to figure out that camera again.

Dereck

Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2017 03:27:29(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
After a years absence due to too many distractions, I am working on this problem again.
Dereck
Online xxup  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2017 06:00:03(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Sounds like a project for IXLDOC.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline katz1002  
#8 Posted : 14 November 2017 06:44:10(UTC)
katz1002

Australia   
No ideas for the first problem but the flashing LED sounds like the voltage or temperature.

I pulled some detail from common flashing LED's and can see that the pulse rate is related to the forward voltage. The response curve between falling voltage and rising voltage are different, so once the voltage gets too low the PN junction goes into a strange state. It may still flash but it is no longer deterministic.

Can you put up the circuit diagrams and the part numbers?

Katz1002

PS: I've started using a USB microscope for reading electronic parts for the same reason - too small to read normally.

It also comes in handy for quite a few other things, like painting the Preislings, checking track work in tunnels and soldering.

The last one I bought was for about AUD$20 from e-bay and has a 1.5m USB cable and can store the images/video for future reference.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by katz1002
Offline dominator  
#9 Posted : 25 December 2017 03:45:14(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
pdf 3080 led schematic.pdf (31kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
3080 led schematic.png

Its been a while but time flies when you are having fun. Here is a schematic of what I was originally intending, and found the problems listed above. My son is home for a few days so I got his help doing this drawing. Howard [ IXLDOC ] has helped me with ideas for the reverse switch, which I will experiment with while my son is home.
I'm also looking forward to my Bands trip to Brisbane early April next year [ same time as the Commonwealth games but not going there ]
I haven't worked out the proper values for the resisters yet but have used ones recommended by the LED suppliers. I have lots of different ones now, also about 100 in4001 diodes. I bought a couple of cheep digital voltmeters to connect up on the bread board so that I could monitor voltages but those 2 things have been a pain in the ass.
I was supposed to go fishing with a mate on Saturday Morning but it rained most of the day. Yesterday was fine but overcast all day and today started out the same. Its sunny outside right now and the temperature has started to go up. Thursday and Friday here was up to 29 degrees. getting a bit hot for comfort. Overcast means nice a cool. Probably not as cool as where Ake lives, but I think that's a bit low for me.

a wee note about the schematic. 4 of the LED's are warm white/red and the central electrode is positive. That's because I original though we could earth the leds through the body of the loco, but I think I went wrong there so hence the way the diagram is now. The CCR's from Digikey [ NS150010YT1G ] are mentioned above. It has been mentioned that the red LED's could effect the performance of the white ones.

All the best for Christmas everyone.

Dereck

This photo shows the three white front and 2 red rear lights lit up
IMG_20171227_112823.jpg
this other photo shows the 3 rear lights and 2 front light lit.
IMG_20171227_112906_1.jpg
If you look carefully in the next 2 photos you can see the very small size of the bridge rectifier and the CCR
IMG_20171227_112941.jpg

IMG_20171227_112933.jpg

We still have a problem with getting the flashing light to work consistently. At low tranny settings below 1/4, it flashes normally. above that it starts to get erratic then goes out completely.

Dereck

Edited by user 27 December 2017 00:22:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline dominator  
#10 Posted : 27 December 2017 02:21:20(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
ADDED PICTURES TO previous post. Still have to go back to my shop to get the printout from Howard regarding the reversing of the lights.
Offline dominator  
#11 Posted : 10 January 2018 20:57:29(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Got the flashing LED performing now by putting 3 x 1000 Ohm resistors is series. The seem to work right up to about 3/4 throttle which is ok for a shunter.
Dereck