Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Should you buy the CS3+?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Total 61 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2016 21:38:27(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Please vote - Should you buy the CS3+?

There is a lots of problem with CS3+ not fit after the update.

Many post from Stummi/3railforum having issue with CS3+.

Screen blank.

60174 Boosters working?

One wrote from facebook member 'The update is successfully installed but the locs and other decoders are not responding every time'.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2016 22:06:35(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I think its a relative question.
Buy a CS3+ now, as it just came out? OR ever?
Or if you don't have any CS at all? OR to work with your existing gear?

The CS3+ will (being the first, if it was the CS3 it would have the same problems minus issues related to the unique hardware on the CS3+) better as these bugs are worked out. No amount of testing at Märklin could have worked with the vast variation of gear in various states of the layouts in Germany and the world before they shipped. This issue with CS3+ software does not surprise me one bit... I'll wait at least a year, but then I don't need any CS at the moment (nor have one).
If you were expecting things to work perfectly right out of the box, I think those expectations would be unrealistic for anyone with an existing set of kit on a layout that understands modern electronics development and product development.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Oliver nagel  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2016 14:09:30(UTC)
Oliver nagel

United States   
I think the CS3 is like a new car model you have to wait a year or two for the manufacture to get out all the kinks.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Oliver nagel
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2016 14:32:28(UTC)
Goofy

I did voted no.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline klarinettmeister  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2016 23:32:39(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
I've voted no because I've ordered the cheaper CS3, 60226.
I've ordered it from a shop that I can travel to easily in case if I get problems.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Online river6109  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:28:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think I can say with some conviction and confidence, I'm glad I've never went down this path, it took me about 5 years to decide which command station to get and so far I do not have any regrets unless there is a huge shift in technology, consumer friendly and reliability I'll keep what I've got.

so the answer is no

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline siroljuk  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2016 07:34:18(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello

I would say that Never Say Never.
I have already one CS3 Plus and despite all the deficiencies and difficulties at the moment, my answer is Yes.ThumpUp ThumpUp

I believe that all main problems will be corrected. It takes time of course but still CS3 Plus on potentially very good device. There are many new possibilities.

After Märklin make their PC-program ready for CS3 Plus and both devices will perfectly run together it would be very good pair of devices for Training.

Meanwhile Happy Training all of you especially those who hesitates.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards

Jukka
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline bugsmasher  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2016 03:38:08(UTC)
bugsmasher

United States   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
Hello

I believe that all main problems will be corrected. It takes time of course but still CS3 Plus on potentially very good device. There are many new possibilities.

Regards

Jukka

There is NEED for (1) model railroaders to be tolerant/patient AND (2) manufacturers to produce properly functioning products at delivery. It is difficult to produce error-free software. But too many manufacturers rush products to delivery without thorough pre-testing. Apparently (if descriptions of discussions with Mr. Sieber on this forum are correct), Marklin delayed release because and until major software problems were minimized.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bugsmasher
Offline sjbartels  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2016 05:41:49(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
I voted for for two reasons, firstly I have a CS2 that for right now, serves me quite satisfactorily, and secondly, as mentioned in this thread already, CS3 still have too many bugs for me. Ultimately I am sure I will end up with a CS3 but for right now, why would I want to tolerate a buggy CS3 and working through updates when I can work with y CS2 solidly and wait for the bugs of CS3 to be resolved, and then buy one? I think the stick to the CS2 and patiently wait out the bugs is going to be ultimately less frustrating.
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline grnwtrs  
#10 Posted : 16 November 2016 06:06:22(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
I voted NO, cause after reading Steventrain's post, that problems abound with the new software, why go to all the hassle,
maybe in 1 year the CS3/3+ will run fine, But until then, why endure the stress. The controls are supposed to help the running
of trains fun. Not to struggle.

I don't need anymore challenges in my life. There is enough of a Marklin system in place to run without
the troubles of new hardware/software.

best regards,
gene
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 16 November 2016 07:03:08(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
I voted for for two reasons, firstly I have a CS2 that for right now, serves me quite satisfactorily, and secondly, as mentioned in this thread already, CS3 still have too many bugs for me. Ultimately I am sure I will end up with a CS3 but for right now, why would I want to tolerate a buggy CS3 and working through updates when I can work with y CS2 solidly and wait for the bugs of CS3 to be resolved, and then buy one? I think the stick to the CS2 and patiently wait out the bugs is going to be ultimately less frustrating.

Good point!
That´s way i also avoid CS2 with all bugs and some problems.
if i wait to buy an CS3 when Märklin did fix the problems about bugs...but anyway still wait.
I´m pretty sure customer are tired to get an system when there is trouble.
So wait instead!

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 16 November 2016 08:13:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: bugsmasher Go to Quoted Post
Apparently (if descriptions of discussions with Mr. Sieber on this forum are correct), Marklin delayed release because and until major software problems were minimized.
Apparently there were a few updates in quick succession after the initial shipment.
So it seems the first shipment was just a public beta test (where "beta" is an euphemism for alpha grade software).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline JohnjeanB  
#13 Posted : 20 November 2016 12:25:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

I will certainly have one but certainly not before one year at least.

I had a CS2 (earlier version 60213) which gave some problems and went back to Göppingen for failures (Gavanik separation, S88 problems, poor power) all which were solved within 2 years (replacement of the motherboard for a 60215 one).

Before that I had a CU 6021 CS1 and I would certainly NOT go back using that (They were good at the time but not anymore).

So may be I learned from that:
- Certainly I will buy a CS3 plus
- Later (wait for more than one year to let Märklin solve h/w and s/w problems)

Cheers

Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Bones  
#14 Posted : 20 May 2017 15:18:13(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
I was told recently by my dealer I use that it would be wise at the moment not to purchase either the CS3 or CS3+ due to the fact that it has a lot of software problems that have resulted in significant delays in the ordering of it

He can not get any orders filled at the moment and has not been given any idea as to how long it will before he will get them

Short answer a BIG NO

BigGrin
Offline siroljuk  
#15 Posted : 20 May 2017 17:18:15(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello Everyone.

Please read my recent post last November 2016 in this thread.

I WAS RIGHT, at the moment after latest update my CS3 Plus is working fantastic. All features which are written in the German language book of Märklin " Digital fahren mit der Central Station 3" are at good level in CS3 Plus. Booster is working well, LINK88 and all it's features are working well, working with layouts and articles, well I use virtual connection to my CS3 Plus and 23 inch touch screen with my laptop, no problem at all. Touch screen in CS3 is too small, at least for my old fingers, with mouse ok.

I have to say that CS3 Plus with the latest version of all it's software's is finally at decent level and worth buying.

So YES ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards

Jukka

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline Joe Meiring  
#16 Posted : 21 May 2017 18:26:06(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
no no....... I'm waiting for the CS4 ......Scared
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 21 May 2017 23:45:03(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
My CS2 of 8 years still works perfectly so see no reason to change. Would rather buy two new locos.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline foumaro  
#18 Posted : 22 May 2017 08:34:12(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am very pleased with my CS2,it is more than enough for my little layout.So no for me.
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 27 May 2017 10:26:14(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
My CS2 of 8 years still works perfectly so see no reason to change. Would rather buy two new locos.

Hello David!
You have no more warranty for the CS2.
If yours CS2 broke down one day and you will send it to repair or buy an new CS3?

P.S.
You can buy one loco and rest malt Scottish whiskey. BigGrin

H0
Offline steventrain  
#20 Posted : 27 May 2017 11:42:37(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Is the CS3 much better and safe with software 1.3?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline franciscohg  
#21 Posted : 28 May 2017 04:47:31(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
I had my CS2 burned out some years ago ( 60214 ) with no galvanic isolation and out of warranty. Send it back and received a unit transformed in 60215 for around 150 euro IIRC. So, if the parts are still available it still would be cheaper to repair than buy a CS3.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Goofy  
#22 Posted : 01 June 2017 09:17:00(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I did voted no.

I see an new CS3 60226 has arrived to swedish shop now.
I´m thinking and plan to buy one this model.
Members here who has CS3...are you happy and satisfaction with the CS3 and functions?

H0
Offline Goofy  
#23 Posted : 01 June 2017 09:19:30(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Is the CS3 much better and safe with software 1.3?

Good point!
I wonder too...
Clapcott did present issue about version 1.3 in another topic.
Seems still problems there.

H0
Offline siroljuk  
#24 Posted : 01 June 2017 13:03:30(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
I did voted no.

Members here who has CS3...are you happy and satisfaction with the CS3 and functions?

Hi,

I amBigGrin BigGrin

Even though there are still minor problems ( perhaps I don't know exactly how I should use all features, mostly I have to try and make mistakes and try again when I make complicated routes with conditions)

But new CS3 Plus is much quicker than CS2 BigGrin

After Märklin releases new book of CS3 in English and I have red it then I can answer more.ThumpUp ThumpUp

I am Happy with CS3 Plus

Regards

Jukka
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline Danlake  
#25 Posted : 01 June 2017 22:26:33(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I did voted no.

Hi Anders,

I still got mixed feelings.

Hardware vice it's great and much faster, but I am still not used and comfortable with the software.

It still bothers me that it's designed for finger touch display, but useless like that and you have to use mouse. So e.g. Zoom in and out function gets harder and when you have to scroll a menu you will have to do it opposite what you would normally do with an mouse and on a PC.

When you are testing your loco it's quite often you would click max speed to start engine and then zero when stopping. This is still not really possible after the latest software updates. When you click zero on the speed graph, half the time it will just close the loco menu because the boundary between each field in the screen is so narrow.

And even though it looks sleek and nice, I do still miss the dedicated function buttons as well as a proper speedometer (or at least and option to choose it).

Also I think there is still bugs in software regarding CV programming.

E.g. there is now no dedicated read CV button when you are in the configuration list. Also as soon as you change a value it will write it to the decoder. You can't write zero, but first have to write another value and then write zero.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline David Dewar  
#26 Posted : 01 June 2017 23:41:59(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Hello David!
You have no more warranty for the CS2.
If yours CS2 broke down one day and you will send it to repair or buy an new CS3?

P.S.
You can buy one loco and rest malt Scottish whiskey. BigGrin

If my CS2 ever stops working I will buy a CS3. Later I may buy the CS3 anyway and keep the CS2 for my shuttle lines using the current S88.

PS prefer wine.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline clapcott  
#27 Posted : 04 June 2017 09:36:05(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post

It still bothers me that it's designed for finger touch display, but useless like that and you have to use mouse. So e.g. Zoom in and out function gets harder and when you have to scroll a menu you will have to do it opposite what you would normally do with an mouse and on a PC.

I concur, it is bad enough that the industry imposes different up/down scrolling methods for devices...
BUT to have to put up with BOTH methods within different parts of the same CS3 really beggars belief.

Anyway, I would highly recommend that you make room on your control console and get a mouse , with a scroll wheel.
Aside from offering more precise positioning, the tactile ergonomics of a "click" that actually works is far more succinct than using the touch screen.

If we are really lucky, Marklin will forget about the touchscreen overhead and provide a bigger, standard screen, offering.
Or just a video port and really save money.

Edited by user 06 June 2017 00:46:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Goofy  
#28 Posted : 09 June 2017 09:26:45(UTC)
Goofy

I did voted no.

Some news here from me.
I have decides not buy Märklin digital system.
I focus on Viessmann or Lenz interface ethernet which allows me to use Ipad air instead.
Apple will soon under autumn upgrade operative system and I OS 11.

H0
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#29 Posted : 09 June 2017 10:58:25(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
I wouldn't and I will not buy the CS3. Not because it may be bad, it surely isn't a bad central station. It is only too expensive for me. I'd rather buy a used CS2 for 250€, that's my personal limit. It could be a 60213, too. Until I find someone, who sells his old CS2 to me for 250€ or less, I will stay with my Märklin MS2 and the BananaPi solution, which provides me all the functionality of a CS2, except the ability to update the sound of mSD sound decoders or the firmware of mSD/mLD decoders. But I can live without this.

If money wouldn't be a problem, I'm surely would by a CS3!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline Minok  
#30 Posted : 09 June 2017 22:31:41(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't and I will not buy the CS3. Not because it may be bad, it surely isn't a bad central station. It is only too expensive for me. I'd rather buy a used CS2 for 250€, that's my personal limit. It could be a 60213, too. Until I find someone, who sells his old CS2 to me for 250€ or less, I will stay with my Märklin MS2 and the BananaPi solution, which provides me all the functionality of a CS2, except the ability to update the sound of mSD sound decoders or the firmware of mSD/mLD decoders. But I can live without this.

If money wouldn't be a problem, I'm surely would by a CS3!

Same here. As my plan is to use computer control, the CSx would just sit there as a computer interface for the most part.
As I have no mSD/mLD decoders as all my locos have the factory decoders, the need to program said decoders isn't an issue.
For the bit of manual control, such as switching on site, I'll use my MS2.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134