Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2016 18:15:30(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Nicely spoken!

Edited by user 17 November 2016 07:34:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline nitramretep  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2016 19:15:47(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
That series is pretty comprehensive, it covers a lot of Europe and uses the Bradford Railway Guide. I purchased the guides for the UK & Europe, fascinating stuff. I am always at mr Portofino's colorful outerwear!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2016 21:06:04(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
As much as you,i liked his series about the USA railways!
Offline alan  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2016 21:12:54(UTC)
alan

United Kingdom   

bradford railway guide

chris trarrant was on the blue train in south africa last night
another great series

alan plymouth
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by alan
Offline NS1200  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2016 07:33:22(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
That series is pretty comprehensive, it covers a lot of Europe and uses the Bradford Railway Guide. I purchased the guides for the UK & Europe, fascinating stuff. I am always at mr Portofino's colorful outerwear!

Yeah,and it should be observed that no one is paying any attention to his clothes in the streets of Dutch cities,overhere you can wear whatever you like,unless you are invited for a job interview or a business meeting,in which case you dress for the occasion.
Especially during spring and summertime yellow or red trousers and jackets are a normal sight.
The get togethers in the tram and in the pub were obviously pre-cooked but still nice to follow,people were genuine in their opinions.
I have my doubts about the coverage of the Amsterdam red light district,i reckon every major city in the world has some of it,perhaps not so explicit.
All in all it is a good coverage of our tiny swamp area,makes me proud to be a swamper!
Should mention that the area covered is only some 10 percent of the total country,apparently it was decided to stay in the busy west corner.

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by user 17 November 2016 13:08:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rwill  
#6 Posted : 17 November 2016 15:59:22(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Tell me is the UK unique in turning former senior politicians into quite good TV personalities?. In addition to Portillo we currently have former cabinet minister and shadow chancellor Ed Balls defying good taste and delighting the viewing public in Strictly Come Dancing, along with others over the last few years.

I love the Portillo railway journeys however occasionally get a bit grumpy when they seem to have forgotten that the star of the show should be the trains
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 17 November 2016 16:44:23(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Rwill:

Agree the trains should be the stars but I think they are trying to catch a larger audience by exploring other features of foreign societies,so that there is something in it for everyone.
Talking about technical features of trains is only interesting for a niche market,nine out ten people have no clue and don't want to know.
This you see happening in all sorts of TV programs,especially late night talkshows,where there is always something of interest to you,no matter what.
Portillo brings in a bit of history and culture so that the contemporary images can be better understood.
In this respect I very much enjoyed his series about the USA,including the bit about the civil war.
His episode on Holland I found well balanced and reflecting the true picture,what you see is what you get.
The 'ricetable' served to him is the dish served to everyone,he was not privaliged,and I must say you can always wake me up for that!
Offline kweekalot  
#8 Posted : 17 November 2016 18:25:54(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
This is of course only the picture as tourists see the Netherlands.
In my city (The Hague) and in my neighborhood (Laakkwartier / Schilderswijk) 45% of people are living in poverty, with no money for food and clothing and totally depending on food banks.

Marco
Offline Jabez  
#9 Posted : 18 November 2016 01:18:17(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
That series is pretty comprehensive, it covers a lot of Europe and uses the Bradford Railway Guide.

BradshawCrying
It is, or was, an institution. They also used to publish collected railway timetables for the whole of the UK, the Bradshaw Railway Guide. A bit like the old ABC World Airways Guide. How to get to everywhere and anywhere. I have a facsimile reprint of the July 1922 edition. The last year before all the old UK railway companies were amalgamated into the big 4. Fascinating, and worth it for the old hotel and boarding house ads alone.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline NS1200  
#10 Posted : 18 November 2016 07:46:37(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
This is of course only the picture as tourists see the Netherlands.
In my city (The Hague) and in my neighborhood (Laakkwartier / Schilderswijk) 45% of people are living in poverty, with no money for food and clothing and totally depending on food banks.

Marco

The people filmed at the big stations look like ordinary Dutch commuters to me,they apparently can afford to pay for their trainfare.
Recently an international survey was published saying that the Dutch are one of the most happy people in the world.
Surely you are not meaning to say that The Netherlands are a country of poverty?
If you say that in your area 45 percent are living in poverty then 55 percent (majority!) is not living in poverty,correct?
About each and every city and town has modern suburbs full with people having a happy life but surely there is always the exception to the rule.
I once read that a modern western society is split 80/10/10 when it comes to wealth: 80 percent are middle class having nothing to complain,10 percent are wealthy and spending money whenever they can,and 10 percent are living in the shadow,for whatever reason.
And i surely do not agree with keeping the latter 10 percent the way they are but perfect societies do not exist.

I just wanted to show a nice "train" trip,rather that getting involved in some sort of political discussion.

Apart from anything else,every single tourist brings in money which can be spend on keeping The Netherlands alive,including the payment of unemployment benefits and similar aid.
And yes,i have been unemployed too,a faith we all are going to experience sooner or later.

Please try and enjoy the clip as it is.

Edited by user 20 November 2016 10:34:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200