Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 06 November 2016 18:23:51(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
My layout could best be described as "evolved"

The main area is k track which has twenty turnouts and a few uncouplers all wired to 6083 decoders and run on a 6021 with two 6040 keyboards which is totally isolated from the track.

Attached via a conversion section is a c track shunting yard. This has six turnouts and two uncouplers wired into the track and to a couple of decoders (a 60831 and a Veissmann 5211). This is controlled by an MS2 which controls all the loks on the whole layout and c track side turnouts etc .

On the k track side we have over the years the usual problem with turnout motors of the "new" type solved by the well documented solutions and liberal use of electrical contact cleaner spray and a box of duds awaiting repair.

On the C track side which is less than a year old max we have no problems with the turnouts etc ............... until today. One of the turnouts stopped working, naturally in the most awkward spot on the whole layout. No joy jiggling and spraying so it had to come out. Before doing anything drastic I thought I'd connect it up to a spare port on the 6083/keyboard side and lo it worked perfectly, back onto the c track/MS2 and nothing yet all the other turnouts that side were working. a spray of contact cleaner and there was a dribble of a movement of the turnout motor but not enough to say it was working.

So as per the title this has left me baffled. My non expert brain says the MS2 is not giving the decoder enough kick.

I am thinking I will probably connect all the turnouts onto the 6021/6040 circuit ( I have the capacity) - however what if I wanted to go MS2 for everything?

Any Ideas?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2016 22:37:44(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The CU 6021 gives you about 22 V idle track voltage, the MS2 fed with 18 V DC will give about 16 V track voltage.

Yes, maybe the 6021 gives your turnout a bigger kick.

Do you have a Delta Control 6604 or 66045? You could use that as a booster for your turnouts.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline PJMärklin  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2016 11:56:45(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
My layout could best be described as "evolved"

The main area is k track which has twenty turnouts and a few uncouplers all wired to 6083 decoders and run on a 6021 with two 6040 keyboards which is totally isolated from the track.

Hello again Rwill,............Iwill second that !BigGrin

Viva k track and 6021's ThumpUp

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline eroncelli  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2016 12:26:16(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
MS2 is not recommended for switching points: not in term of power, but mainly because it's tricky.
In this case I would prefer using switches (or push buttons) and AC power from a transformer: easy to set and use.
6021 system is the old Maerklin CS (more than 20 years old): unless you already own it, I would not suggest the purchase of such an old device.
Offline Jabez  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2016 02:02:02(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
MS2 is not recommended for switching points: not in term of power, but mainly because it's tricky.

That confirms a suspicion I have held since I first saw how the MS2 works. Switching into keyboard mode, selecting a component, and then issuing the command seems a long way round to get an action that you could more simply perform by pushing a dedicated button on a switchbox.

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams