Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Wikkedy86  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2016 21:11:23(UTC)
Wikkedy86

Denmark   
Hi Guys.

Quick question before i pull my new (used) big boy apart.

The coupling between loco and tender is broken. How, i dont know.
But i allready got a new complete sparepart set to fix it.

Buuut, how do i fix it? Can i flip the loco and tender upside down and get to the broken parts that way, or do i have to take off the entire upper part of both to get inside?
Best Regards
Frank
Offline dickinsonj  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2016 01:58:56(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Wikkedy86 Go to Quoted Post

Buuut, how do i fix it? Can i flip the loco and tender upside down and get to the broken parts that way, or do i have to take off the entire upper part of both to get inside?

To get to the inside of a Big Boy, where all of the electronics and mechanicals are, you need to remove the loco body and the tender body. Both are pretty easy to do and I would recommend finding a user manual online, so that you know where to start. I can provide more specific info if you can't find the Märklin literature online.

I have had mine since it was new but I need to update the electronics to fix a sound issue. It is so complex that I have not yet started into that project though.

I have been planning to start a thread on working on this amazing model and I was hoping that some other forum users with knowledge about this loco might provide some insights into how to get started.

Good luck and let us know how your work is progressing. It is an amazing loco and well worth the effort to get it back on the track. Union Pacific is getting 4014 ready to run again here in the US, so we are in good company. BigGrin

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Dave Banks  
#3 Posted : 10 November 2016 11:18:22(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Something like this:

UserPostedImage
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Wikkedy86  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2016 11:26:07(UTC)
Wikkedy86

Denmark   
Yes that looks like it.

But is it possible to get to it from the bottom instead of taking of the top?
Its the whole assembly im gonna replace.
Best Regards
Frank
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2016 14:35:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Yes that looks like it.

But is it possible to get to it from the bottom instead of taking of the top?
Its the whole assembly im gonna replace.

I suggest just taking off the loco body, which only requires removing two small screws and lifting it off. There is a plastic plug on top of the boiler, just in front of the cab. You rock that slightly and it pops out. Then you have easy access to the rear retaining screw. I believe the other screw is under the front guide truck and I can check that once I can get to my model. I am just finishing a huge house remodelling project and my Big Boy is not currently accessible.

When mine is accessible again I will provide some images showing how to do it. But if you can locate the manual online you will find that it is very easily done. Then you will have easy access to replace the coupling. The loco probably needs the two worm drives greased at this point, which requires removing the body anyway.

In a couple of weeks my schedule will open up and give me the time to help out. So if you are still stuck then I will provide details and images.

Good luck!

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Wikkedy86  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2016 22:09:08(UTC)
Wikkedy86

Denmark   
Got the engine fixed. It wasnt broken. The two halfs had just disconnected. Sweet...

But i really dont like to mess around with this big model. So scared of damageing the small details or bending something because of the weight.. But awesome to get it fixed and ready to run.

The top part was loose mounted, so it might have been opened up before.
Tightened them down with a small Marklin screwdriver, carefull not to overtighten. And fired it up 😀

Looks brand new and runs like it.

Great buy 😁
Best Regards
Frank
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2016 01:18:00(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
G
But i really don't like to mess around with this big model. So scared of damaging the small details or bending something because of the weight. But awesome to get it fixed and ready to run.
Looks brand new and runs like it.
Great buy 😁

Cool - glad you got it fixed and so easily. Cool

I agree - between the model's weight and fine detail it is very hard to handle. I use the Märklin suggestion of turning it into the foam cover that came with it, but I have still bent something almost every time that I handle it.

Just part of the cost I guess of owning such an amazing loco. BigGrin

When mine runs I am always fascinated, even after 15 years! It is the most awesome HO loco that I have ever seen. I really doesn't fit in very well with my mostly European layout, but then it is just too cool to really care about that. Cool
Regards,
Jim