Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Darren W  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2016 23:34:30(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Hi everyone,
I have this kit which I purchased a long time ago that I am finally getting around to building. The problem I have is the design says it's a brewery but I really don't think there is a real brewery that looks like this. What brewery would allow a railcar to be rolled into the middle of it? I am looking for ideas for what this building could become. There has to be some kind of industry that would better suited to this building.

UserPostedImage

Cheers
Darren
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Darren W
Offline CanadianKid  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2016 01:35:48(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Interesting kit,
Perhaps a locomotive scrapping building?
Although, that would be a bit depressing to have on your layout.
Best Regards,
Matthew
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2016 03:23:18(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Just to the East of where I live there used to be many warehouses and small factories that used rail freight. Much of this service was gone by the early 1990's, but the tracks and buildings are sometimes still there.

I know that the sugar mill trains drive through the mill so that the wagons can tip the cane for crushing. I think, but I am no means certain that that the wagons might have been shunted into the wharf buildings to hold grain, raw sugar and wool for export. I can also imagine rail lines into heavy engineering buildings for loading and, maybe unloading, things like large power generators, bridge spans etc..

I do agree that it is unlikely that a brewery of that size would have a rail line running through it - unless it was just the warehouse portion of the brewery.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Jabez  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2016 15:26:49(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Maybe you should assume that the rails don't run right through the building but only just extend a short distance inside the door for loading out product. Then it could be producing almost anything. Not a brewery but a bottling plant say. Maybe it's a small paper mill with great rolls of newsprint being loaded by an overhead crane into a rail car waiting just inside the door to be hauled off to the news-presses where they turn forests into lies, as the saying goes.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2016 16:57:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Darren W Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,
I have this kit which I purchased a long time ago that I am finally getting around to building. The problem I have is the design says it's a brewery but I really don't think there is a real brewery that looks like this. What brewery would allow a railcar to be rolled into the middle of it? I am looking for ideas for what this building could become. There has to be some kind of industry that would better suited to this building.

UserPostedImage

Cheers
Darren

With the ventilator on the left hand of the illustration I would class it more as a carpenters or joiners workshop. That would have large doors to get completed frames and the like in and out. You could serve it with a railway for bringing in lumber and possibly taking frames away - Marklin does have at least one flat wagon with roof trusses on it, and lots of wagons with cut timber.

Offline Crazy Harry  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2016 17:12:15(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Darren W Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

UserPostedImage

Cheers
Darren

With the ventilator on the left hand of the illustration I would class it more as a carpenters or joiners workshop. That would have large doors to get completed frames and the like in and out. You could serve it with a railway for bringing in lumber and possibly taking frames away - Marklin does have at least one flat wagon with roof trusses on it, and lots of wagons with cut timber.

Great suggestion from kiwiAlan. I googled the product and many people do not believe it is a brewery. Warehouse, locomotive maintenance shop etc. seem to be more believable. Someone even shorted the building to 3 windows long instead of 4. Note that it is an N Scale model so one would have to check MiniTrix for compatible cars!
Offline Darren W  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2016 05:38:30(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Thank you for the ideas and feedback. I have been mulling it around in my head an I am leaning towards a maintenance/repair shop for rolling stock. I remember being in such a shop many years ago in the BCRail yards in Squamish BC. They could do repairs to the bodies of cars and even repaint them if needed. I could couple this with a RIP track using a small crane. Ideas swirling around my head now... BigGrin

Cheers
Darren
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Darren W