Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2015 22:58:10(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi!

I'm new here, having lusted after a Z scale layout for 35 years or more!

Finally, I took the plunge and bought myself an 81870 starter set, which seemed like a cost effective way to get started and included a loco and coaches that suited my proposed layout.

Initially I was delighted with my purchase - plenty of track by starter set standards and a good set of rolling stock.

Eager though I was to start buying more track for my proposed layout, I decided to run a few gradient tests to be sure there weren't going to be problems with the modest (so I thought) 3% gradients. Probably you can see where I'm heading here - the 3% gradients, it seems, will be quite a problem. In fact it seems 2% would be quite a challenge.

I have to say, I've been deeply disappointed by this revelation - having seen the "roller coaster" layouts out there I thought mine would give no problems, but the fact that my four axle loco struggles to pull three its three coaches up this in gradient has left me concluding that my proposed layout is quite unviable. (I was surprised how stiff running the coaches were - much more so than the N Scale rolling stock I had back in the 70s and it seems the end car with its pickup for the lighting is even worse.)

Anyway, at the moment I think I have to give up on the layout I was proposing to build which I just don't think will work with Marklin locomotives.

So, before I abandon the whole idea I'd welcome any comments regarding whether I've just been unlucky for some reason (I can't see why, the locomotive I have has all eight wheels driven, so should breeze through the job) or if any of the "other" manufacturers' locos might be more up to the job. (I'm firmly European, and non of the US/Japanese locomotives fit what I have in mind, plus I'm firmly pro-Marlin, though I don't know why. Still if they might rescue my dream, I'd consider it...)

I know there is a wealth of Z Scale experience here to be had, so hope you'll spare the time to indulge me.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 10 October 2015 09:41:53(UTC)
H0

Hi, Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

Pulling power decreases with the size. Gauge I locos are strong pullers, H0 locos have traction tyres to increase pulling power. I think N gauge locos also often come with traction tyres.

T gauge locos have strong magnets to increase pulling power.

Märklin Z gauge locos do not have traction tyres. (*) The lights in the control car increase the drag, as you noticed. Traction tyres are not perfect as they lead to more dirt on the rails.
Z gauge is not my area of expertise. I don't have a better idea than suggesting to leave the control car off, go for 2% inclines and try how many coaches the loco can haul up this way.
Curves increase the drag, so it may help to have inclines only on straight track or flextrack with large curves.

(*) Märklin have some US locos with traction tyres in the catalogue, but AFAIK those are not designed/made by Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Carim  
#3 Posted : 10 October 2015 10:07:49(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

I started off with this set as well. However, I found that it runs very well and I experienced no drag from the cab car (although I must admit my layout doesn't have any inclines). I have found that when you flick the wheels of Z scale carriages, they don't spin as freely as I remember N scale ones did. Have you examined the "lugs" that actually hold the wheels onto the bogie - are there any obvious deformities or maybe flash around the molding? (You may need magnifying glasses to spot things in this size). Did you buy the set from a retailer that you can easily return it to? As a first step, I would contact them; otherwise you could always contact Marklin directly and see if they will take a look at it (they should do if it is still under warranty). I would hesitate from trying to make modifications or from using some lubrication in case it invalidates your warranty.

Carim
Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2015 10:15:45(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Just another thought, Zedex 2015 is happening on the 18th October in Didcot - you could try bringing your train there and I am sure that someone will have a look at it. I think the Mount Tabor people will be there and I found them very approachable (they gave me a lot of good advice at the the Gauge Master 2014 show).

Carim
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2015 11:25:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Just another thought, Zedex 2015 is happening on the 18th October in Didcot - you could try bringing your train there and I am sure that someone will have a look at it. I think the Mount Tabor people will be there and I found them very approachable (they gave me a lot of good advice at the the Gauge Master 2014 show).

Carim

You may see me there, I'll be around in Abingdon & District MRC apparel, it is my current home town.

Zedex is a great little show.

Then our club has our second exhibition of the year in the same hall two weeks later.

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 10 October 2015 14:44:45(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks for all the replies and helpful advice - I'll run some more tests and check the rolling stock and see how I get on.

It occurred to me that I could run without the control car and I'm not against doing this, though I would like to operate trains of four coaches. I'll also re-model the layout with 2% gradients, though I don't think I'll be able to get the effect I want with such gentle inclines.

I don't think the model is defective in any way - the locomotive itself seems to be working fine, it's just that it looses grip once there's more than the most modest of gradients. I've heard a period of running in can help with traction problems though I find this hard to believe.

Unfortunately, I'm booked for next Sunday, which is a shame as the Zedex show looks like it would be well worth a visit in so many respects.

I'm sure there is a wealth of experience here so I'd welcome comments on any of the following points :

- What sort of gradients do people generally incorporate into their layouts?
- Is the DB Class 111 locomotive included in this set generally regarded as having good/bad traction?
- Are there other locomotives that might give me better traction? (I've heard the Class E44 loco has particularly good traction and whilst I don't find it a particularly attractive model it would probably suit my layout quite well.)
- Do people generally add weight to their locomotives? Is this a good or bad idea.
- My proposed layout featured a helix using 220mm radius curves and 3.4% gradient - is this a ridiculous proposal or do you think it's viable?

Thanks again for your patience and expertise.

Chris
Offline Carim  
#7 Posted : 10 October 2015 15:58:46(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Carim

You may see me there, I'll be around in Abingdon & District MRC apparel, it is my current home town.

Zedex is a great little show.

Then our club has our second exhibition of the year in the same hall two weeks later.

I'll certainly keep a lookout for you. BigGrin
Offline Carim  
#8 Posted : 29 October 2015 10:02:19(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Chris,

Have you made any progress with your issues? I am sorry that I can't offer any further advice on gradients/helix as I don't have any on my layout. I certainly saw a few steeep climbs at Zedex and some of the smaller locos had problems.

I found that Marklin's Br 101s are really good runners (I have 88680 and 88686), bigger and heavier than Br 111s and on the prototype, are much more likely to head an Inter City train. I haven't added any weight to my trains yet; I am thinking about adding some to my container wagons because I have a fear that very light stock might derail more frequently (although, so far, I haven't really had any problems).

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#9 Posted : 29 October 2015 14:48:17(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi Carim,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I've redesigned my layout to have 2% gradients and run some tests and it seems my loco will just about be able to cope with that. I've also found that the pickups of the cab control car were causing additional rolling resistance - particularly in one direction. I've adjusted them and things are improved, though still not as good as I'd like. I'm about to start laying the track bed for the layout itself, so we'll see how things turn out, but I am thinking a little more weight in the loco will help a lot if I do encounter problems.

The layout I have planned is very much a rural setting, so the intercity stock I have is not particularly suited - just seemed like a good place to start! I have my eye on a Class 218 diesel (88786) which really fits in with what I have in mind much better. I suspect this uses the same chassis as the BR111, though, so will suffer the same limitations.

I have been surprised, though, given the gradients I've seen on some of the layouts on YouTube and those on pre-formed layouts!

I'll have to make a point of keeping my diary clear for Zedex next year!

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Mark5  
#10 Posted : 29 October 2015 22:52:08(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello Poor Skeleton,

I am sorry to hear about the problem with gradients you are having.
Z scale really can be charming, and allow you to build "big" layouts for the scale.
I have a friend who has wonderful Z set he built in his son's old guitar case.
It has pretty intense incline, although I am sorry I don't know the gradient.
That said, I have run it for him at a show and it seems to go without a problem,
with only 3 small cars behind it though. I think the loco is a V60.

He has a another set he built in his son's old mixing board box.
[Wish I had the photos for you somewhere.]
This one has a longer train and bigger locomotive, something like a BR44.
He has had derailment issues with this one,
but he has a large truss bridge with a figure eight and small mountain.
Again it seems to manage well on inclines.
I will ask him about your issues as I will see him at the next show on Nov. 6th in Laval, Quebec.

Personally though, while I used to really want a Z scale years ago,
I am now partial to HO for its combination of running abilities,
visible detail and relative compactness... somewhat small-size.

If you are still in love with Z scale, I would see what you push it to do,
and perhaps try out longer track lengths, other combinations and/or locomotives.

Keep us posted with your progress. Any photos you can post will also help.
Cheers,
Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Carim  
#11 Posted : 30 October 2015 10:49:03(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

I have a Br 218 (8879) and I am afraid to report that it probably is my worst runner. However, it does look very nice! The chassis is different from the Br 111 but about the same size. I think it could be that the 218 may have been quite old stock when I bought it, as the running has improved as I have used it more. I have a second-hand Br 143 that has a similar sized chassis and that runs very well.

Generally, I have found that the longer wheelbase electric locos run the best but then you have to watch out about the radius of your curves or you might get derailments as Mark reported above.

I was wondering whether an incline easement might help (start the rise on a shallower gradient before getting to the 2-3% bit)?

Carim
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 30 October 2015 12:20:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

I have a Br 218 (8879) and I am afraid to report that it probably is my worst runner. However, it does look very nice! The chassis is different from the Br 111 but about the same size. I think it could be that the 218 may have been quite old stock when I bought it, as the running has improved as I have used it more. I have a second-hand Br 143 that has a similar sized chassis and that runs very well.

Generally, I have found that the longer wheelbase electric locos run the best but then you have to watch out about the radius of your curves or you might get derailments as Mark reported above.

I was wondering whether an incline easement might help (start the rise on a shallower gradient before getting to the 2-3% bit)?

Carim

Does the 8879 still have the original 3 pole motor? It may be worth looking at refitting it with the later 5 pole motor that Marklin now fits to all Z gauge stuff.

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#13 Posted : 30 October 2015 21:02:10(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks Mark and Carim,

Hope I manage to cover everything here...

Yes, Z Scale is absolutely charming - one of many reasons I am persevering with it - and my aim is to use the small scale to produce an uncluttered layout.

I was really surprised at the difficulty my loco has with gradients, partly because of the severe inclines that many layouts seem to feature and partly from my experience many years ago with British N gauge - I reckon a Minitrix warship could pull its own prototype up a 1 in 30 incline! Anyway I am coming to terms with the disappointment (I'm an engineer by profession, so solving problems is second nature to me) and just looking forward to getting the track laid and running some trains.

I would appreciate you enquiring of the gradients on your friend's layout, it will certainly be useful reference for future purchases. The smaller locomotives seem to have metal bodies and I'm sure this helps with traction.

Thanks for the word on the BR218, Carim. Another disappointment as this is an extremely attractive locomotive, as you say. I suspect I'll have to get one, anyway.

I suppose it's no surprise that the larger locos pull better - I'm sure this is purely down to their additional weight. Perhaps I'll invest in a BR 232.01 (I hope I'm not making a fool of myself, I'm really not familiar with German locomotive designations) which I imagine will be very powerful.

Fortunately, there will be nothing less than 220mm curves on my layout. Bizarrely, the largest radius will be in the helix at 285mm, which I needed to get the gradient down to 2%.

Thanks again for your help and support, all the best

Chris
Offline Carim  
#14 Posted : 30 October 2015 22:27:43(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chris,

Carim

Does the 8879 still have the original 3 pole motor? It may be worth looking at refitting it with the later 5 pole motor that Marklin now fits to all Z gauge stuff.

I'm not sure to be honest as I haven't opened it up yet. I think it may have been sitting on a shelf for a long time before I bought it - the more I run it, the better it goes. I can't say that is a really bad runner, it's just in comparison with my Br 101s which are fantastic.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#15 Posted : 31 October 2015 13:24:40(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I have a Br 218 (8879) and I am afraid to report that it probably is my worst runner. However, it does look very nice!

When you say it doesn't run as well as your other locos, how do you mean? Not as smoothly, or are there other issues with it?

Cheers

Chris

Offline Carim  
#16 Posted : 31 October 2015 21:33:47(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Not as smooth a runner at lower speeds and can stutter over points.

Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#17 Posted : 01 November 2015 00:33:46(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Not as smooth a runner at lower speeds and can stutter over points.

Carim

OK, thanks. I have to say, I have no idea what to expect as far as slow speed running is concerned, so that's not an issue for me. Yet...

I've ordered 88132 and I expect that to have more traction than my current locomotive. I hope also to receive the BR218 as a Christmas present, I'm sure it will be a good addition to the layout.

Of which, have cut out the track bed ready for putting in place tomorrow. I will post pictures as it begins to take shape.

It's all inspired by a recent holiday to Sóller in Mallorca, where the 36" gauge railway seemed begging to be modelled. Yes, I am doing it in standard gauge with German stock, but I think it will work. The crucial thing is that I'm not constraining myself space-wise - 2m x 0.6m for the main layout with an extra section for the helix, so I'm hoping the layout won't look too toy-like and will allow me to build some interesting terrain. Not sure how I'm going to model the hundreds of olive trees I'll need to make it look authentic yet, though!

Cheers

Chris
Offline mrmarklin  
#18 Posted : 01 November 2015 01:29:10(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Some thoughts.........

2% grade on the prototype is considered very steep. Seems ZED is very realistic! Seems you may want to purchase "helper" engines!

On a more serious note.....Marklin Loks with straight cut gearing need a fair break in period to really run nicely.

If the Lok is older and has been sitting, strip all the old oil away, and re oil. In HO at least, old oil is a problem in having free running.

Your track should be absolutely free of any oils. Oils are used in the manufacturing process for many metals. I've seen slipping on HO scale track when it's oily, and even traction tires can absorb enough oil to work their way off the grooved wheel.

Obviously the heavier the Lok, the better. I don't know what the possibilities of adding more weight would befor these small Loks.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline Wal  
#19 Posted : 01 November 2015 04:35:20(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
Hello Chris,

I run Z and my maximum grade is 2%. When starting out I was advised not to exceed this gradient. I used the woodland scenics subterrain flexible 2% incline starter pack (ST1412). It's not for Z (Its 2.5 inches wide) but I can fit two tracks on it if required or I just cut it down. And 2% is 2% no matter what scale you are using! But it does the grade smoothly.

On this I run 81176 - BR200, 88131 - BR234, 88133 - BR232, 88763 - BR216 and they all manage the grade well at low or high speed. I should add that I am running digital using Velmo decoders which significantly improves the performance of my Z gauge locs (In my opinion).

The BR216's pull 3 or 4 long passenger coaches or 4 long stake cars without issue. The larger loss (ludmilla style) pull 10 container or ore cars without issue. I also run some multi header consists with up to 20 ore cars (long henry set) up these grades without issue.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Wal

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Wal
Offline Carim  
#20 Posted : 01 November 2015 15:40:02(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

....Of which, have cut out the track bed ready for putting in place tomorrow. I will post pictures as it begins to take shape.

It's all inspired by a recent holiday to Sóller in Mallorca, where the 36" gauge railway seemed begging to be modelled. Yes, I am doing it in standard gauge with German stock, but I think it will work. The crucial thing is that I'm not constraining myself space-wise - 2m x 0.6m for the main layout with an extra section for the helix, so I'm hoping the layout won't look too toy-like and will allow me to build some interesting terrain. Not sure how I'm going to model the hundreds of olive trees I'll need to make it look authentic yet, though!

Cheers

Chris

Sounds like a very interesting project - I look forward to those pictures.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#21 Posted : 01 November 2015 19:55:09(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Wal Go to Quoted Post
Hello Chris,

I run Z and my maximum grade is 2%. When starting out I was advised not to exceed this gradient. I used the woodland scenics subterrain flexible 2% incline starter pack (ST1412). It's not for Z (Its 2.5 inches wide) but I can fit two tracks on it if required or I just cut it down. And 2% is 2% no matter what scale you are using! But it does the grade smoothly.

On this I run 81176 - BR200, 88131 - BR234, 88133 - BR232, 88763 - BR216 and they all manage the grade well at low or high speed. I should add that I am running digital using Velmo decoders which significantly improves the performance of my Z gauge locs (In my opinion).

The BR216's pull 3 or 4 long passenger coaches or 4 long stake cars without issue. The larger loss (ludmilla style) pull 10 container or ore cars without issue. I also run some multi header consists with up to 20 ore cars (long henry set) up these grades without issue.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Wal

Thanks, that's really useful - I'm reassured I'm being overly optimistic with my planned layout.

Funnily enough, I've started building the trackbed today (I have to agree the Woodland Scenics trackbed looks very convenient, but I'm doing it the old-fashioned way!) and the gradient looks much gentler than in my tests so I'm encouraged things will be ok.

All the best

Chris
Offline hgk  
#22 Posted : 01 November 2015 23:00:05(UTC)
hgk

Oddly, Greenberg's z scale book suggests a limit of 4%. Also don't forget to check the layout for level.
-george
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#23 Posted : 06 November 2015 22:55:52(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hgk Go to Quoted Post
Oddly, Greenberg's z scale book suggests a limit of 4%. Also don't forget to check the layout for level.
-george

I'd read that before making my first purchase and I think that's one of the reasons I was so disappointed when I learned the truth about what I thought were my modest 3% gradients!

Not to worry, I think things will turn put fine - though my viaduct is going to be less impressive than I'd originally planned!

Cheers

Chris
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#24 Posted : 08 November 2015 00:53:21(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I've had busy day, and here is what I've achieved - the helix that will get me from the storage sidings to the layout proper : DSCF2136[1].AVI (14,961kb) downloaded 60 time(s).

It's using Peco flexi-track on a 285mm radius, raising 36mm/circuit, which equates to a 2% gradient. The track is glued (using Impact adhesive) to the 3mm MDF railbed and the rail joints are staggered by 20mm or so. By the time I got to the top, I'd developed quite a good technique for making the joints, though thankfully even my early attempts seem to be good for pretty smooth running.

Most of the rest of the layout will be using stock Marklin track, with a couple of (mostly straight) flex sections linking the fixed radius stuff, so I think this is the mist challenging part of the layout completed.

Thanks for all your support and encouragement so far!

Cheers!

Chris

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#25 Posted : 28 November 2015 00:53:03(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
It has been a while since I last posted, but that's not to say nothing has been happening.

The baseboards have been built and the first ground level tracks laid and joined to the helix. So far so good.

Next, the raised track bed has been cut out, risers made and attached to the baseboard. IMG_1083.jpgIMG_1084.jpg

I suppose something had to go wrong, and after a weekend of excellent progress I noticed my baseboard was suffering from some serious warpage.

Sundeala, I thought, was the stuff? Apparently not. Known for its instablity... Bugger!

So, Some serious bracing. By all accounts the 44x18 structure I stated with was a bit lame, but 144x18 seems well over the top. Nevertheless, it's done and seems to be rigid and doing its job. We'll see - The layout has been in the house (as opposed to the garage - its usual location) for three days and seems to be holding its own.

Insecure about the integrity of my fibreboard trackbed, I've been reinforcing it with timber spars. Not attractive but, I hope, functional.

And finally today, I get to lay a bit more track - this is what I expected to be doing on Monday.

Actually, quite a bit of adjustment to be done on the sections already laid, there has been quite a lot of expansion/contraction going on - I'm not sure why - certainly far more than the thermal expansion of the rails themselves would account for.

The encouraging side of all this is that, despite the enormous gaps in the track joints, the trains have run flawlessly. I don't know what it is about Maerklin models, but they seem to be designed to run well!

Here is my Facebook album on the project, which I hope you'll be able to see : https://www.facebook.com...p;type=3&pnref=story
Wal
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#26 Posted : 20 February 2016 23:11:37(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
It's been a while, but progress has been made...

IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG
[attach]31647[/atimagined version of it has steam trainstach]

The real railway at Sóller is 3' gauge and electrically powered. My interpretation of it is at standard gauge and running DB stock, it seems... I felt a steam powered service would be really popular with tourists, so my imagined version of it has a steam service. Somewhat alarmingly, this is the smoothest running locomotive I have....

Offline Carim  
#27 Posted : 21 February 2016 22:55:28(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Your layout is coming on very nicely; I like the dramatic scenery.BigGrin

Carim
Offline Alsterstreek  
#28 Posted : 21 February 2016 23:15:03(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Wow, that is serious landscaping !
IMG_1166.jpg
I attach one of your pix with a reduced size to make it appear in the thread.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline kiwiAlan  
#29 Posted : 21 February 2016 23:55:20(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Wow, that is serious landscaping !
IMG_1166.jpg
I attach one of your pix with a reduced size to make it appear in the thread.

Ill say, even in Z scale (which I beleive it is from furhter up the thread) its getting serious.

But it does look seriously nice. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline MalinAC  
#30 Posted : 22 February 2016 10:31:21(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Your mountains look very realistic. Great work
Offline dennisb  
#31 Posted : 22 February 2016 13:17:46(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Cool layout! The possibility to make really big landcapes is on a realitivly small area is really tempting with the Z scale I must say!

Great work!

D.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#32 Posted : 22 February 2016 14:38:42(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the kind comments. I have to admit that the photos are rather flattering - so far the terrain is only undercoated, so some more work to do yet!

For me, one of the attractions of Z scale is the ability to produce spacious layouts in a practically small space, as dennisb commented.

Behind the mountains are hidden sidings and helix connecting the lower and upper levels. Perhaps should take some photos of the business end, too?

Cheers

Chris
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#33 Posted : 05 March 2016 19:53:38(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
In case anyone is interested, a few more up-to-date pictures.

photo 4.jpg
photo3.jpg
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg

Cheers

Chris
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#34 Posted : 22 May 2016 02:32:39(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I hope people are finding these occasional updates interesting...

A lot of the recent progress has not been terribly visible - wiring completed and control console built. A certain amount of track realignment owing to the ever moving sundeala baseboard (never again!) and errors of judgement regarding the locations of isolating sections.

More visibly, I've been planting trees and have started to plan the town area of the layout. I'm amazed how much of a difference the trees make to the look of the layout and even the "placeholder" card buildings make a positive contribution, though it's true to say the "proper" buildings add even more.

Controller.jpg
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1235.JPG
IMG_1233.JPG

More trees to plant and more buildings to add, albeit slightly modified from the original kit design, but I'm very pleased with how everything is taking shape!

Cheers

Chris
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#35 Posted : 23 October 2016 23:12:20(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
For the benefit of anyone who might still be interested, here are a few pictures of the latest state of play with the layout.

IMG_1416.JPGIMG_1419.JPGDSCF2165.JPGIMG_1420.JPG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Carim  
#36 Posted : 24 October 2016 10:16:37(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

I hope that you don't mind, but as your pictures were so nice, I re-sized them to make it simpler for everyone to see:

DSCF2165.JPGIMG_1416.JPGIMG_1420.JPGIMG_1419.JPG

I particularly like that framed building (in the second photo) and your rock faces.

Are you making your trees or are they purchased?

Carim
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#37 Posted : 24 October 2016 14:56:29(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks, Carim. I was trying to embed the pictures rather than have them as attachments, but I couldn't figure out how to do it, so thanks for doing it for me!

The panelled house is a Faller kit which I've modified a bit in attempt to make it look a bit more Mediterranean. I have still to add solar panels to the roof which I'm hoping will strengthen the transformation.

The rock outcrops are from Woodland Scenics plaster moulds and coloured as per their method. I have to say I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out. The larger rock faces use a method I developed myself (which I'm happy to describe if anyone's interested) and again I'm pretty happy with the results.

As for the trees, as you can see I have hundreds of them and I don't like spending money at the best of times, so I've taken the cheapskate's option of buying inexpensive Chinese made trees from eBay and "enhancing" (I hope) them myself. The enhancement process involves "mangling" the trees to separate the branches a bit and give a more natural, less manicured, shape, and then covering with more natural and varied coloured flock. It takes a while, but it definitely improves the look of the trees, so I think it's worth it.

Cheers!

Chris
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#38 Posted : 14 April 2017 22:45:20(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi,

For the benefit of anyone interested, I have some more photos :

IMG_1607.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG

There are loads more pictures and some videos here :

https://www.facebook.com/chrisha...mp;type=3&uploaded=2

Hope these are of interest

Cheers

Chris

Edited by user 15 April 2017 14:16:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#39 Posted : 14 April 2017 22:49:25(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Apologies that I have, yet again, failed to embed the images. Perhaps Carim will come to my rescue yet again!

Cheers

Chris
Offline Carim  
#40 Posted : 14 April 2017 23:47:07(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

I am happy to help out but your link points to 125+ photos; so I don't know which ones you wanted to post Confused .

Perhaps give me a PM.

Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#41 Posted : 15 April 2017 14:20:56(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I am happy to help out but your link points to 125+ photos; so I don't know which ones you wanted to post Confused

Thanks Carim. Yes, confusion seems to follow me around!

I think (more by luck than judgement) I've managed to embed the pictures in question, thanks for your offer to help, though.

All the best

Chris

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#42 Posted : 27 August 2017 23:46:34(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Forgive my relentless self publicity, but if you're at all interested in this layout, I've uploaded a video to youtube :

Hope this is of interest!

Chris
Offline strummer  
#43 Posted : 28 August 2017 05:53:38(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Very, very nice indeed... :)

Mark in Oregon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by strummer