Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2016 02:18:28(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I have some passenger coaches and freight cars from my long-ago analog layout which have internal/external lights powered from a pickup slider under the car. They don't light when running on my new digital layout, except oddly enough sometimes if they are derailed.
Is there any simple way that the lights can be made to work on a digital setup, or do I have to remove them and replace with light sets designed for digital use?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Ausipeet  
#2 Posted : 19 October 2016 03:35:11(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Should work as per on an analog system perhaps give the wiring a god check, make sure the bulbs are all seated correctly and then make sure the pick up shoes are set at the correct height. Also it might pay to clean the pick up shoes.
Hope this helps some.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ausipeet
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 19 October 2016 07:01:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If using a digital controller like the older 6021, there is a risk that the constant illumination will cause the lights to produce more heat than they do in analog operation where the light intensity depends on the transformer setting. This can cause the plastic light channels to melt under certain circumstances. You can reduce this risk by replacing the bulbs with ones that have a higher voltage tolerance.

I have not had much experience with using older lighting with the new Mobile Stations or Central Stations. perhaps Tom (HO) or one of the others with more experience with that system can provide a better response.

In theory, the bulbs should continue to operate normally. The intensity of the bulbs would depend on the tolerance of the bulb. I would inspect all of the connections to check for signs of heat, as resistance will be manifested in terms of heat, which can melt plastic. Make sure that the wires and sockets are properly connected. Those little fold over tabs on some lighting kits that hold the wires to the terminals are notorious for weak connections, as they often bend or break if reused/modified.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Swimmer  
#4 Posted : 19 October 2016 10:25:16(UTC)
Swimmer

South Africa   
Hi,

I have got a couple of coaches with lights in them. They work 100% on the digital layout. Only their current drain is greater than using LED's.
I will be replacing the lights with LED's within around two to three weeks time.

Regards
Carsten
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Swimmer
Offline Jabez  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2016 19:58:24(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Thank you all for confirming that it should work. I have tinkered some more and can see now that is almost certainly loose wires or dirty connections somewhere. No wonder, they have been sitting in boxes in the cellar for more than two decades.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams