Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2016 07:47:55(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Did I see here that there was only one S 2/6 ever made. If that is the case, what colour was it. Also then, why has Marklin made a black one, a blue one and a green one???????????????
When the big black Borsig 2-3-4-0 cane out from Marklin, I read that the locomotive was never built in real life. That is the reason I never bought one. I don believe in fairy tails. Is it just a ploy by big business to extract more dosh from there good customers.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2016 08:32:30(UTC)
H0

A new mould must sell many models to return the investment.
Märklin has made many fantasy liveries over time.

Yes, there was just one bay S 2/6 in real life. It probably had different liveries over time, but there is more speculation than facts about this.
Other companies also make fantasy liveries.

Many blue Märklin steamers are just fantasy liveries. DB had three blue steamers of class 03.10. Märklin do not have the correct mould for a blue 03.10, but that didn't stop them from making at least four blue "models" plus a blue 05 003.

Blue locos for eras I and II also seem to sell well.

The Borsig 2-6-8-0 only existed as a blue print. Several freelance models appeared in MRR magazines - and one day Märklin made a series model. And once again they have to make many variations to amortise the mould.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2016 09:24:48(UTC)
Goofy

That´s way i keep away from fantasy locomotive.
An green S 2/6 was correct made of Märklin.
Märklin fool customer by use them.
It´s all about the money.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2016 09:58:40(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Who knows.

According to the Märklin catalogue, the 37015 is as it was delivered and used around 1906/07.

According to information from Drehscheibe Online the loco was unpainted, showing silvery steel when it was delivered.
German text on DSO:
http://www.drehscheibe-o...1324,7152050#msg-7152050
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline SteamNut  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2016 10:06:19(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
What should be more disturbing is when a manufacturer makes a model that is supposed to be true to scale and it is not. However I can understand certain compromises have to be in order to produce certain models such as shorter couches to run on tight curves.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline pab  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2016 10:26:06(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
The S 2/6 was transfert to the Pfälzer Railway. So we can expect a brown/violet version.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pab
Offline shannon  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2016 10:59:31(UTC)
shannon

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Did I see here that there was only one S 2/6 ever made. If that is the case, what colour was it. Also then, why has Marklin made a black one, a blue one and a green one???????????????
When the big black Borsig 2-3-4-0 cane out from Marklin, I read that the locomotive was never built in real life. That is the reason I never bought one. I don believe in fairy tails. Is it just a ploy by big business to extract more dosh from there good customers.

Dereck

Thinking about a question.
If you are the marketing manager of Marklin, your company have spent much cost to model S2/6. You should be responsible for selling quota. Did you consider to make more profits with different versions or to sell this model at a time only just for the correct history factor ? Laugh

Many customers care about the looks and liveries far more than history research.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by shannon
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 14 October 2016 11:48:59(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
If that one loco was used by different companies then that would justify the different liveries. We then must make sure we only have one on out layout then.!!!!!!
Dereck
Ps All the comments above are valid. Thanks for the feedback all of you.
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 14 October 2016 15:16:59(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Personally, I like the different colours applied to the steam locos - the Black and Red gets boring. Besides, FD has placed a total ban on buying any Red and Black Steam locos.. Sigh!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Jabez  
#10 Posted : 14 October 2016 17:07:07(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I don't believe in fairy tails.
Dereck

Quite right. Only imps have 'em.BigGrin

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 14 October 2016 17:13:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: pab Go to Quoted Post
The S 2/6 was transfert to the Pfälzer Railway. So we can expect a brown/violet version.

oooh that would be a nice colour scheme ... ThumpUp
Offline Gregor  
#12 Posted : 14 October 2016 19:39:29(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
...Besides, FD has placed a total ban on buying any Red and Black Steam locos.. Sigh!

Red and black steam locos are the only ones I can buy without the FD noticing....

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Gregor
xxupGLI
Offline dominator  
#13 Posted : 15 October 2016 00:19:42(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Personally, I like the different colours applied to the steam locos - the Black and Red gets boring. Besides, FD has placed a total ban on buying any Red and Black Steam locos.. Sigh!

Adrian, I though you were banned from purchasing any more, unless you have off-loaded a lot more of your unused stock.

I don't believe in fairy tails.
Dereck

Quite right. Only imps have 'em.BigGrin

I did notice the spelling mistake but left it that way for a laugh.
Dereck
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 15 October 2016 01:42:11(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
That´s way i keep away from fantasy locomotive.
Märklin fool customer by use them.
It´s all about the money.

Thank you Goofy, that I am a fool.ThumbDown

For me it's not the money. It's only my personal pleasure. One of these pleasures are good designed locos. Colour is part of a good design. I do not care, if they were really existing or not. They have to make fun.

As I know, even Goofy was never real. It is only a fantasy figure from the Micky Mouse. Is this also all about the money?

You got your Micky Mouse in your avatar and shows us daily. I got my Micky Mouse in blue and drive it on my MRR, daily.Love Laugh Cool
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 15 October 2016 03:24:59(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi Derek,

my personal intention to buy a S 2/6 in blue (I like blue and the mfx+ decoder) please read at my post #14 as an answer to our “Disneyland freak”. BigGrin

In real life you are right. Only one S 2/6 was built in green and still exists in green again, because for a while is was repainted in brown. BRAWA already offered much more models of this loco class as Maerklin.

Today you can visit the loco in the DB AG museum in Nuernberg.

http://www.dbmuseum.de/m...rt=0&itemsPerPage=20

The S 2/6 was built in 1906 and is obviously a very beautiful locomotive for me. But it was not the best machine for a regular day by day usage. Because of that, the S 3/6 was quickly developed. This loco has a much better tractive force as the S 2/6. The S 3/6 was built form 1908 – 1931 with 159 pieces. The last piece was retired in 1969. And please do not forget the political development between 1906 and 1931, which also had an influence to the German railway system.

For more details of the S 2/6 please read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavarian_S_2/6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavarian_S_3/6

regards

TEEWolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 15 October 2016 08:07:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Only one S 2/6 was built in green and still exists in green again
Was it green in 1906/07 or was it silver?

Some people think that "model rail road" implies that a prototype in 1:1 existed and for those a blue bay S 2/6 is not a model, but a toy.

I have a few locos in fantasy liveries. Those "non-models" look nice and they run on layouts for fun.
But it's true that Märklin scarcely use terms like "fictitious" to indicate those fantasy models.
I wouldn't say they try to fool their customers, but they surely let sleeping dogs lie.

Fantasy liveries have a long tradition with Märklin - look at "models" like #3000 and #3074 and others ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage