Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ausipeet  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2016 07:13:25(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Dear Web Master extraordinaire,
Would it be possible to set up a separate column in the For Sale Column for the Americans whom wish to only sell to Americans, it seems that more and more members from the states are entering items for sale but wish only to sell to their country part members. It is a shame that the rest of the world, whom might be interested in the afore mentioned items for sale, is unable to openly make offers on these items. This i hope does not reflect on those members only wishing to sell to fellow country members but i honestly feel that the way they are offering these items leave many of the rest of the members here wishing.

I do not wish to alienate any US members but i feel that this might be an easier solution then for regular members checking the For Sale Forum and seeing at the end of the Post " Will only Post to American Members". it is frustrating.

Hope this is seen as a suggestion only and look forward to response from other members on this forum.

With Thanks Ausipeet
or Peter From Adelaide.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Ausipeet
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2016 11:25:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
How long before you'll want a sub forum for Europeans who only want to sell to Europeans, and Australians who only want to sell to Australians?

The trouble with these sorts of requests is how far do you go with it?

If you're concerned with wasting time looking at For Sale threads that are not available worldwide, then I would suggest that sellers include in their thread titles 'USA only', or whatever the restrictions might be.

The For Sale sub forum is provided to members as a convenience to connect members, but it is not something the Moderators should be putting lots of time into managing.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline sjbartels  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2016 18:26:38(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
How long before you'll want a sub forum for Europeans who only want to sell to Europeans, and Australians who only want to sell to Australians?

The trouble with these sorts of requests is how far do you go with it?

If you're concerned with wasting time looking at For Sale threads that are not available worldwide, then I would suggest that sellers include in their thread titles 'USA only', or whatever the restrictions might be.

The For Sale sub forum is provided to members as a convenience to connect members, but it is not something the Moderators should be putting lots of time into managing.

I agree completely with BD on this, once you start with a sub forum for one, then it soon develops into two, then four and so forth and eventually, and as BD said, how far do you go? Where does it end?

I agree that it is frustrating for those outside of country A to see an item being sold to those only in Country A when they don't live there, but I don't think this is an endemic problem either, I only know of one seller where this has occurred. What I can suggest is if someone wants to only sell within their own country only and you really want said item, try communicating directly with them, find out why they are doing it, they could have a genuine reason that, if you communicate with then, find a work around that alleviates their concerns and you can get the item you want. As for me personally, I sell some stuff on eBay from time to time and was hesitant to sell something to someone in France because of the sheer cost, I was worried about negative feedback for that cost etc that I had no control over, but went with it and the buyer was exceptionally pleased and now as a result, I don't have that hesitation anymore shipping overseas and that was all through communication.

At the end of the day, sub forums I don't think are a good idea, but lets try and communicate with each other and try and overcome reasons why they may not want to ship overseas, as opposed to created further divisions by creating further separation through sub forms.
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 03 October 2016 20:06:51(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I understand the frustration, as I have similar experiences with many ebay listings getting flagged when i search, seeing a decent product and then finally seeing under the shipping options that no international shipping option is offered. Best would be have a shipping options/restrictions field and then let users filter their searches based on that... still, it may be better to ask the seller about shipping options to your country. If they get enough requests they may rethink their limited shipping options.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134