Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ove Henning  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2016 18:49:32(UTC)
Ove Henning

Norway   
Hope you can help me. My loc (about 6-7 years old has only been driving on analogtracks. After first test on digital it stopped and by retesting on analog it still doesn't drive. Can it be the decoder that is totally dead? (I have cleaned the 5-poled rotor)Confused
03184defekt2016.jpg03184defekt2016B.jpg
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2016 19:26:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am pretty certain that 34346 is not the model number of the locomotive you have. The model number is 29830 (Set).

You say that it worked fine on analog, then you tested it on digital and it did not work and since then, it no longer works on analog any more.
What happened when you put it on the digital tracks? Were there any lights, sound, etc? Do you have the correct digital address for the locomotive?
According to the instructions for that model (see link below), the digital address for this locomotive is 03 (Motorola) and mfx is "BR 03"

https://static.maerklin....887778ab4c1434541955.pdf

I am a little confused as the parts description shows part 53 as Leiterplatte and 54 as Decoder and I would think that 53 was the decoder and 54 was the PC Board.

What digital control are you using? 6021/MS/CS or other? Do you have other digital or delta locomotives/coaches/cars. Do they work with digital?
If not, the problem could be with your digital controller or layout wiring. If the 29830 is your only digital locomotive, what about analog models (if tested on digital, an analog lok should move at high speed. You can use the stop button after a second or two to stop it.) This will confirm that the controller is providing power and signal to the track.

Have you tried to reset your controller and also reset the decoder (follow instructions for controller/decoder)

Perhaps if it still does not respond, you could pick up a basic MM/MFx decoder from ESU (21 pins) and test the lok with it.
If the lok responds in digital control, the problem is likely with the decoder. If the lok does not respond with a new decoder, the problem may be wiring or contact related.

Please let me know what happens after you reset and any other tests you may perform.

Regards

Mike C

Note: When you put the shell back on, please make sure that the green wire is not snagged between the frame and the shell. The positioning in your photo seems rather risky.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Ove Henning  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2016 19:52:52(UTC)
Ove Henning

Norway   
Thanks a lot Mike C.
When I put it on my digital track nothing happens. No light, no sound, no driving. My Mobile Station does not find the loc. I have 5 - 6 locos working on my digital test-track, and I removed them all from the tracks before I tested 29830 (didn't know that the set-number is the loc-number). I am very greatful for your help! Will try it out tomorrow (evening in Norway now). Really look forward to this!!

I have just entered the digital world and testing it out before I decide to change totally to digital. Seems I was a real idiot that built up an analog Märklin-railroad in 2010.

Best regards

Ove Henning Bloch Espenæs
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2016 01:44:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ove Henning Go to Quoted Post

I have just entered the digital world and testing it out before I decide to change totally to digital. Seems I was a real idiot that built up an analog Märklin-railroad in 2010.

Best regards

Ove Henning Bloch Espenæs
I hope that you stick with this transition to digital - the world of digitally controlled model railroading is amazing and well worth the cost and what can be a steep learning curve for some.

The better running, the sounds and the independent control of trains - they all add multiple new dimensions of enjoyment for me. And that is just the start, with function decoders and the new command stations there is an amazing level of automation available and easy GUI access to complex route controls. Pure magic from the POV of analog MRR operations.

And you are at the right place for guidance on this stuff - there is an incredible depth of Märklin knowledge available on this forum. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2016 03:42:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Ove, 1.) the loco will not automatically register (Mobile station), the decoder you've got in your loco is an ESU sound decoder unless you can read the decoder's address you will not find out whether the decoder is faulty or not.

another point I like to make what type of analog transformer are you using. if the decoder hasn't been programmed try the address: 3 otherwise you have to use a lok programmer to find out its programmed decoder address.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 02 October 2016 07:34:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Ove, 1.) the loco will not automatically register (Mobile station), the decoder you've got in your loco is an ESU sound decoder
The factory-installed decoder of 29830 has mfx and should register automatically - and it won't work without automatic registration if the controller has mfx enabled.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Ove Henning  
#7 Posted : 02 October 2016 15:31:34(UTC)
Ove Henning

Norway   
Thanks for help. The ms cannot find the loc on the digital rail. I also tried again on my analog rail, and it still will not work even there. When connecting el. directly to the "Bürsten" it responds. Must be some connectiontrouble in a wire or is the decoder dead and stops all other connections? Have cleaned the wheels and the "slepesko" (Schleifer) as we call it in norwegian. Any advice on how I can test if all other connections are ok? (Maybe a stupid question, but I'm not used to have problems with Märklinlocs).