Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline thomas buckley  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2016 20:46:05(UTC)
thomas buckley

United States   
I received my first exposure to digital Marklin, a 60653 starter set. I set up the oval(c track is pretty cool stuff after decades of m track!:)) and proceeded to play with...
I have had limited success with setting up my digital locos but was wondering if there are any tutorials out there that can assist me with understanding all the menus and different types of items coming up on the controller screen. I am just trying to find a shortcut to the otherwise "trial and error" system I will be using:)) There are not many (none) Marklin train users here in the mountains of SoCal. Thanks in advanceBigGrin
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2016 21:05:40(UTC)
H0

There is a fancy manual (22 pages, many screenshots, little text), there is trial and error, and you have this forum.
I'm not aware of a free English tutorial.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2016 03:30:31(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I know that in this forum someone a couple of years ago had a VERY NICE tutorial-like post with screen shots and explanations. I tried to find it for our friend, but had no success.

Perhaps someone may refer Thomas to that post.

I am assuming that Thomas does have the MS2 manual itself, right?

Otherwise, the best way to use the MS2 manual (it IS complicated) is to pick one SIMPLE step at a time and if you have problems ask here.

One little tip (if needed): make sure you know if your locos have an MFX decoder or a regular (cheaper) decoder. The MFX decoders register themselves, the others you need to fumble a bit with them.

Hope this helps.

Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2016 05:02:28(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: thomas buckley Go to Quoted Post
.... a 60653 starter set.....

If you do mean a older 60653 Starter set , rather than the more recent (New Items 2016) starter sets with a Black Mobile Station then there is a new manual available which is likely to be an update on what came with your set (I would be interested to know if this was not the case) ...
http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/60653_betrieb.pdf 267975/1115/Ha1Ef (i.e. printed Nov2015)

For English, scroll to the bottom and turn your screen upside down (or stand on your head)

This is only slightly better than earlier versions and has the usual lack of completeness, in consistency and typos/errors of a number of Marklin manuals, so you normally have to find you own path to validate anyway.

NOTE: Marklin do not use the term MS2 or MobileStation2, this is a user initiative that appears to be widely adopted to differentiate from the 60651/60652
Even the new 60657 is still called a Mobile Station - it just happens to be black.

All that said, and as baggio has pointed out, the real issue is usually identifying/knowing what family of locomotive decoder , or accessory decoder, you are bringing to the party. This is just as much a system integration/configuration issue and the Mobile Station cannot be held fully responsible for that.
Peter
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2016 08:07:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
I know that in this forum someone a couple of years ago had a VERY NICE tutorial-like post with screen shots and explanations.
This one maybe:
https://www.marklin-user...-60653---TRIX-66950.aspx

As Peter points out there are different procedures for different decoders - sometimes you have to know what a decoder can do to get the most out of it.

BTW: the mfx decoders are the cheap ones, they replaced the expensive decoders with DIP switches. Between those there were two generations of fx decoders without DIP switches

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2016 13:29:18(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Yes, that was the one. Thanks. ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Rwill  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2016 14:20:04(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Magic - thank you

I wonder if it could be put as a sticky- I'm still using a 6021 but if/when I go MS2 this would be useful - and to many others I think.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline thomas buckley  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2016 16:23:14(UTC)
thomas buckley

United States   
AHHHH yes! Thank you. I will use the site you posted for my guide and see how it goes. I shall return with limitless unending questionsConfused BigGrin
Offline Paciffic72509  
#9 Posted : 27 September 2016 22:09:25(UTC)
Paciffic72509

United States   
Thanks so much!!
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 28 September 2016 19:05:58(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: thomas buckley Go to Quoted Post
AHHHH yes! Thank you. I will use the site you posted for my guide and see how it goes. I shall return with limitless unending questionsConfused BigGrin

Why should you be more happy us the rest of this community?BigGrin

Or: this community is endless too, to answer your questions.RollEyes ThumpUp

Therefor I already do have a question to you.

Is your MS 2, while you unpacked it, already set up with the menue in the English language or did it come with the menue in German? Because you can select various languages in all these controller instruments, but if you have no manual ... ???
Offline SteamNut  
#11 Posted : 28 September 2016 21:17:09(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I just received my 29000 starter set and at least for me the manual is rather confusing.
Offline Thewolf  
#12 Posted : 28 September 2016 21:21:11(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
I just received my 29000 starter set and at least for me the manual is rather confusing.

Hi SteamNut Cool

you're not the first and you will not be the lastCrying

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Samiwtis  
#13 Posted : 22 October 2016 21:50:11(UTC)
Samiwtis

Greece   
Hi there! Is it possible to connect an older MS1 (60652) with a newer MS2 (60653)? If yes, which one has to be the master? MS2?
Thanks for your time and for the help!

Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 22 October 2016 21:58:11(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by: Samiwtis Go to Quoted Post
Is it possible to connect an older MS1 (60652) with a newer MS2 (60653)?
Yes, with a CS2 between them. The CS2 will be the master. Can't be done with the normal trackboxes.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0