Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2016 18:29:13(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Some new Marklin locos are stated to have controlled high-efficiency propulsion while others feature controlled high-efficiency propulsion with a flywheel.
I suppose the flywheel makes for smoother running, especially at slow speeds when stopping or starting under digital control.
Is this so? And if so, does it really make an important difference?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2016 19:50:19(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
Some new Marklin locos are stated to have controlled high-efficiency propulsion while others feature controlled high-efficiency propulsion with a flywheel.
I suppose the flywheel makes for smoother running, especially at slow speeds when stopping or starting under digital control.
Is this so? And if so, does it really make an important difference?

The ones with flywheels are of the newer design, using so called "can motors" or better "Faulhaber style motors" (the ones Märklin calls funnily "bell shaped armature" BigGrin )
And yes, if the decoder has been properly matched to the engine/transmission characteristics, this solution offers very nice performance.
The simple "High efficiency propulsion" are of the older design, which are basically an evolution of the original Märklin motors from the late 1930's, of which we have had successively LFCM, SFCM and DCM 3 pole versions, and the current evolution is a 5 pole with permanent magnet inductor.
This is a tested and true design: with a number of my loks going over 65+ years, I just have had to replace brushes and for some the gears (after 50 years of service!)

Again, when decoders are properly matched, they offer **very decent** performance and good traction, albeit a bit noisier in most case than the "can-motor" designs.

Hope this helps

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2016 20:20:45(UTC)
H0

Flywheels can make a big difference - e.g. when the loco loses power (track power turned off or bad contact). The cars may derail if the loco stops abruptly while the train is in a curve.
Properly sized flywheels will prevent this.
However some flywheels are too small to be effective.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0