Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ricwolt  
#1 Posted : 26 August 2016 15:16:59(UTC)
Ricwolt

Netherlands   
Hello,

After many years of absence, I have started HO railroading again. I have a 7 x 3.5 meter room with a U-Shaped table setup.

I have two Marklin sets

On the RIGHT-hand side of the room I have a 6003 Transformer and a 6021 Control unit- this is connected to an outer circular C-track- recently completed and runs well around the room connected with a lift up bridge)

On the Left-hand side I have (not connected yet) a 6003 transformer,6036 controller and two 6040 keyboards. to be connected to a K-track.

The K-track is large and involved so the grandkids run the C-track- and I the K-track.

Somewhere in the middle I have connected two points with C-to K transition rails , so the C and K tracks are now connected and traffic can run from one to the other if we wish to.

The question:
Can I connect the transformer to the K track as well- to act as a booster. (in that case two transformers are connected to the track)
or
Should I just connect the 6036/6020/6040 to the unit to the 6003 transformer on the Right.
or
do I need to insulate the two systems from each other. But how can you then take trains across on the fly.

I am a novice when it comes to Digital.

I hope someone can shed some light onto this.

Kind regards
Richard from Brisbane Australia
Offline Rwill  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2016 16:28:04(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
No, No, No, ......... Yes

As one of the forums complete non techies I reckon for once I can answer your question because I have most of the things you mention.

Firstly transformer 6003 - you will only need one it take mains voltage and provides power to your 6021. Its output never goes near the track.

The 6021 is your control unit. Through the rectangular pin/plug on each side other units connect.

To the right hand side you plug in your control 80f (6036) - there is a lead available to put some space between the two units for two operators.

To the left hand side you may plug in your keyboards 6040 altering the address of the second one.

Once only from the back of the 6021 red and brown lead go to a track connector (taking care which way round they go.

AS required take red and brown power lead from the track to your decoders (6083 or similar) around the layout. Then your solenoid accessories are connected to the decoders again taking care- two blue and a yellow power wire.

That will do for now

Then the whole layout can be controlled without any insulation
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Ricwolt  
#3 Posted : 27 August 2016 14:36:04(UTC)
Ricwolt

Netherlands   
Perhaps I did not formulate my question well enough

The issue is- can you place two ttransformers(each with their own controllers) on one track
Richard
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2016 15:02:41(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
May I suggest a little light bedtime reading Marklin book 0303 very kindly digitally scanned here:

http://www.ebis.ca/marklin/0303/0303.html
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 27 August 2016 15:59:22(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Ricwolt Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps I did not formulate my question well enough

The issue is- can you place two ttransformers(each with their own controllers) on one track
Richard

Simple answer is "no". Not without isolation or other schemes as Rwill has already pointed out.
Offline Ricwolt  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2016 15:48:51(UTC)
Ricwolt

Netherlands   
Gents, Thank you very much for your help and the link you have attached- great ! Now I can learn more about my marklin digital. I am building every day and also constructing a separate two rail system that runs parallel/under/over the Marklin tracks
regards Richard