Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dal  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2016 23:09:30(UTC)
dal

Brazil   
Hello,
I've just wired the automatic operation for 2 locos with circuits track controlling the signals and turnout. I use two relays 8945 to switch on/off power in the blocks and the correspondent signal lights. The wiring has been tested and is all OK. However I observed that whe the loco actionates the circuit track that actionate the relay, sometimes the lever does not go full way, leaving the block powered while the signal is still red. At that moment, with my finger I can feel there is perhaps 0.5-1.0 mm to go and close the circuit.

How do I fix that? Is that a matter of lubricating the relay?

Thanks, David.
Offline ozzman  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2016 04:12:46(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi David. I'm not sure that lubricating the relays is a good idea, but maybe you can. You could try asking Marklin that at:

http://www.maerklin.de/en/company/contact/

When you activate the manual switches on the relays with your finger, do they move freely? An alternative diagnosis is that not enough current is getting through from the circuit tracks.

My own experience in using 8945s is with 8939 signals and 72720 switch blocks. What I found is that either just the 8945s or the whole assembly needs to be "warmed up" before working correctly. Of course that might just be my bodged up system...
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ozzman
dal
Offline dal  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2016 19:16:27(UTC)
dal

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: ozzman Go to Quoted Post
Hi David. I'm not sure that lubricating the relays is a good idea, but maybe you can. You could try asking Marklin that at:

http://www.maerklin.de/en/company/contact/

When you activate the manual switches on the relays with your finger, do they move freely? An alternative diagnosis is that not enough current is getting through from the circuit tracks.

My own experience in using 8945s is with 8939 signals and 72720 switch blocks. What I found is that either just the 8945s or the whole assembly needs to be "warmed up" before working correctly. Of course that might just be my bodged up system...

Hello Ozzman,
yes, the levers move freely til the end. It seems like you said, not enough current and the lever gets stuck when it finds mechanical resistance. One option would be to provide 12v ? And I tried several times, so it is not a matter of getting warmed up. I really don´t know what to do, except perhaps try another type of relay (roco, viessmann).
Thanks,
David.
Offline ozzman  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2016 03:47:38(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi David. Were the relays new or second hand? If the latter, it might be that they're defective. Of course new ones might be defective too...

Don't know anything about Roco relays, but I've only heard good things about Viessmann products.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ozzman
dal
Offline dal  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2016 13:47:53(UTC)
dal

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: ozzman Go to Quoted Post
Hi David. Were the relays new or second hand? If the latter, it might be that they're defective. Of course new ones might be defective too...

Don't know anything about Roco relays, but I've only heard good things about Viessmann products.

at least one of them is second hand (bought as used on ebay). The other was bought as new on ebay.