Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2016 00:40:58(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I picked one of these up, along with a high side gondola for$40 at a train show today. The diesel is an AC version, is there a circuit I can replace the mechanical reverse unit with so I can run her on DC with the rest of my LGB trains? I am also needing replacement hand rails for each end and I would like to add working lights. This looks like it might have been a stripped down version without the metal end railings and lights. There are no tell tale marks from handrails ever being there and no lenses for the lights or wiring for them inside. I like the engine, a nice departure from my LGB stuff. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2016 15:01:21(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

The most simple way to convert that loco to DC-operation is to use the ESU-magnet 51965 ( http://www.esu.eu/produk...behoer/permanentmagnete/ ) replacing the field-coil. After the conversion just connect one brush to the slider and the other brush to the chassis of the loco.

The other way is to replace the switch by two diodes in opposite directions. One for every connection of the field coil. The hand-rails were #470340 but are not available any more.

Regards

Markus

Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2016 15:12:10(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

The most simple way to convert that loco to DC-operation is to use the ESU-magnet 51965 ( http://www.esu.eu/produk...behoer/permanentmagnete/ ) replacing the field-coil. After the conversion just connect one brush to the slider and the other brush to the chassis of the loco.

The other way is to replace the switch by two diodes in opposite directions. One for every connection of the field coil. The hand-rails were #470340 but are not available any more.

Regards

Markus

But I beleive it is a G1 loco, so doesn't have a slider.

ESU do make a magnet for adapting G1 locos though.

Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2016 15:59:12(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Thanks for the replies, I will look into getting one of the ESU Magnets to convert to DC operation. Kind of falling in love with this Gauge 1 stuff. Now I dont have the depth of wallet to afford the really nice pieces. But I think some of the Maxi part of the line will replace my LGB items. I do love the colorful Maxi items, and also want to get the 0-6-0 Live Steamer that came out when M renewed live steam in Gauge one. Mike
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2016 16:31:16(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

But I beleive it is a G1 loco, so doesn't have a slider.

Hi Allen,

UserPostedImage

The slider is #47030. It takes the current from one side of the wheels.

Regards

Markus
Offline artfull dodger  
#6 Posted : 28 February 2016 17:58:15(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Thanks Markus, I knew what you ment by the slider. I will order one of those magnets from ESU to replace the field windings. Going to get the engine repainted as well. The paint is faded and chipped up pretty good. Still hoping to find someone that has a set of handrails for it. I am sure some place has them in thier parts stash. Now to see how well it runs on the garden line. Other than gear whine, it runs well indoors. Mike
Offline artfull dodger  
#7 Posted : 29 February 2016 01:51:11(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I found, what I suspect is the boxed set my engine probably came from. Its a 5521 set, has track, the strip down version diesel that I have and a dump car. I ran it for awhile today using a Lionel transformer, ran better after a half hour or so. Only down side I see to going over to Marklin Gauge 1 is the high cost, most freight cars on ebay are over $100. Maybe a small industrial layout with this engine and possibly the BR80 0-6-0 steamer that is usualy affordable. Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger