Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2016 03:53:10(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi everyone,

A few years ago I saw a kit for a dual track sanding tower, I can no longer remember if it was a tower that spanned 2 tracks or it had a side boom or overhang for the second track. It could have also been part of a "pack" with a Water tower/coal loader etc, I just can't recall. Confused Confused My local kit supplier also remembers carrying it but like me does not recall who/what/where so I know I'm not imagining it.

I spent most of last night looking on eBay DE with no luck, then again I'm probably using the wrong term (my Deutsch has gone to pot). I've tried Sandturm, Sandhaus, beheizbarem Sandhaus and Bahnbetriebswerk.

Does anyone know of the sanding tower I'm talking about or have a better term to check on German eBay.

HELP

P.S. I know Faller is about to release (re-release) a Twin Tower sanding unit (120284) in the next few months but its not the one I'm thinking of although from the looks of it could be used for 3 tracks.

Edited by user 24 February 2016 09:04:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline hgk  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2016 06:14:20(UTC)
hgk

I did a Google of '2 track sand tower ho model' and it does return some images, but I don't know if the one your looking for is there.
The Walters 933-3182 one looks good and is on sale. https://www.walthers.com...3/09330000003182_dt4.jpg
https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3182
George
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hgk
Offline Br502362  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2016 06:36:03(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Janne75  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2016 07:18:42(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Shamu,

Do you mean this Faller 120146?

http://www.mobahn.de/Faller-120...Besandungsanlage-OVP-neu

In my opinion this one goes well also for dual tracks.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2016 08:46:33(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Thanks George & Åke but I can't stand the looks of the US style sanding towers plus they would look seriously out of place on a German Era 1/2/3 layout.

No Janne not the standard Faller one, there is a New One coming out in a month or 2 that has a tower each side of the track with a catwalk joining them.

The one I have in the back of my mind is more like the Vollmer 45740 but it either spanned 2 tracks or had a overhang for the second track.

Vollmer_45740.JPG

Wish I had bought it when I first saw it..... unless I stumble across it somewhere or somebody knows of the one I'm talking about.

Thanks anyway lads. ThumpUp
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline PJMärklin  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2016 12:54:18(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

A few years ago I saw a kit for a dual track sanding tower, I can no longer remember if it was a tower that spanned 2 tracks or it had a side boom or overhang for the second track. It could have also been part of a "pack" with a Water tower/coal loader etc, I just can't recall. Confused Confused My local kit supplier also remembers carrying it but like me does not recall who/what/where so I know I'm not imagining it.

I spent most of last night looking on eBay DE with no luck, then again I'm probably using the wrong term (my Deutsch has gone to pot). I've tried Sandturm, Sandhaus, beheizbarem Sandhaus and Bahnbetriebswerk.

Does anyone know of the sanding tower I'm talking about or have a better term to check on German eBay.

HELP

P.S. I know Faller is about to release (re-release) a Twin Tower sanding unit (120284) in the next few months but its not the one I'm thinking of although from the looks of it could be used for 3 tracks.

Hello Shane, greetings from the deep south!

I am not sure what you may strictly define as a "dual track sanding tower"

If I may interpret this as a sanding tower that will service two tracks, then my comments may be germane to your enquiry.
I note your reply to Janne but the Faller tower 120138 does service two tracks, and comes with a sandhouse:

UserPostedImage

You may note the little "bridging accessory" bottom right in the above diagram that would join two such towers and achieve the item (120284 Doppelbesandungsturm) detailed in your subsequent post #5.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The one you indicate (120284) is actually a double-up of 120138 with the little "bridging accessory" mentioned above, thus actually servicing three tracks with a redundent extra service to a middle track which IMHO looks a bit silly; in the image it shows 4 sanding outlets but only one track, again, IMHO, a bit silly:

UserPostedImage

For your further considerations see the images below on my layout servicing two adjacent tracks with the 120138 tower in between :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

(Helmuth is taking a "smoko" , unloading all that sand was hard yakka !!) :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Shamu  
#7 Posted : 24 February 2016 07:12:36(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi PJ,

I had thought about getting a couple of the Faller 120138's (just tower) but for the money I'd rather get another of the Kibri 39418 kits that actually has the drying house with it for the same sort of money. The Faller one your thinking of is 120146 (sanding tower + drying shed) which is close to 2 of the Kibri's dollar wise.

I need at least 3 service tracks leaving the loco yard and have water towers and cranes along with coal bunkers and crane to suit but as much as a couple of the Faller or Kibri sanding towers would do the job nicely I can not get this twin tower dual/triple track setup out of my mind. The more I think about it (and Carey agrees) it was most likely in a kit with a water crane/spout, gantry crane and........ I don't know.... 3 or 4 steam loco service thingies.

I just can not think of any other terms to use on german eBay and I've lost the plot browsing the listings that seam to be truly endless even when narrowed down as much as i can on the german site.

Oh well, thanks once again guys ThumpUp. I'll just have to keep looking or most likely end up doing a Frankenstein on a pair of towers to get what I want/need.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 24 February 2016 07:33:57(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
When you do find the thing, please make sure you post the details here. This has been a very suspenseful post.. OhMyGod

Edge of the seat stuff this is.. Crying
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Shamu  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2016 08:24:18(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
OK, I thought I may have been going mad but when I get a bee in my bonnet over something.........

sanding tower unknown.jpg

Found this after hours and hours of trolling through photos via google and its even on a Markiln setup by the looks of things but...... no clue as to who makes it. another hour of looking found.....

sanding tower unknown Kibri N 7444.jpg

Ok, its "N" but its the same tower (well dam bloody close) so I can only assume its a old (very) Kibri kit which may explain why Carey had them as run-outs a few years ago.

I've had enough of looking for now but at least I can now narrow it down to old Kibri kits, just have to try and figure out the "HO" number for it.
Offline Shamu  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2016 08:49:04(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Well there you go...... figured I'd have one last look before giving up for now as a lost cause and..... Its a Vollmer 5770 Confused

sanding tower FOUND its a Vollmer.JPG

...... there is only 1 left for sale now Drool BigGrin Love and he only posts to Germany LOL sorry to anyone that takes a fancy to it..... no doubt the odd one will surface on DEbay at some stage.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline xxup  
#11 Posted : 24 February 2016 09:01:19(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks mate.. That's a beauty..

It looks like a good mod project too.. Make the lights work.. Replace the plastic pipework with painted copper rod.. etc.. It would look awesome..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 24 February 2016 14:29:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Well there you go...... figured I'd have one last look before giving up for now as a lost cause and..... Its a Vollmer 5770 Confused

sanding tower FOUND its a Vollmer.JPG

...... there is only 1 left for sale now Drool BigGrin Love and he only posts to Germany LOL sorry to anyone that takes a fancy to it..... no doubt the odd one will surface on DEbay at some stage.

Time to write to Viessmann to ask if they are going to re-issue it now they have the Vollmer franchise?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline jcrtrains  
#13 Posted : 24 February 2016 20:36:45(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Missed this thread completely. Here it is completed on my layout. Nice kit that can do duty in many locations.

sIMG_0361.JPG
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Tom Jessop  
#14 Posted : 24 February 2016 21:41:32(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Very nice find M8 , just one question , we all know that MOST steam loco's have a sand dome on top of the boiler , I have seen a few with sand boxes down on the running boards on either side of the boiler . Also on elock's & diesels the sand boxes are on either side of the body. If this is a correct model of a full scale sand facility how would these other types of engines be sanded by this type of bin ?

When I was a Driver at Lithgow depot we serviced all types of engines , a 2 road open ended shed with 2 x 20 ton sand bins sat on a steel structure positioned parallel above the shed with hoses feeding both sides . The hoses were of numerous lengths allowing for different positions of the sand boxes , one road being electrified & one without to allow either elock's or other types to sand on the running tracks . There was an additional track beside the shed to allow a bogie tank wagon to discharge sand into the fixed bins above by air discharge . This wagon was quite odd looking having 4 spherical domes on it holding the sand for transport .These wagons were filled at a central depot in Sydney from a supplier who had washed & graded the sand for rail purpose .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Shamu  
#15 Posted : 25 February 2016 04:39:45(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Time to write to Viessmann to ask if they are going to re-issue it now they have the Vollmer franchise?

Hi Alan,

Have my doubts but you never know. My biggest concern is that they keep the roundhouse going..... i'm going to need another one or more of them and you can't find them for love nor money in Oz any more.

I checked as far back as I could and it would appear that it has not been produced since at least 2007. I couldn't check back any further than that so really don't know when production stopped...... at least as a stand alone item. I still have it in the back of my mind that when I saw it a few years ago it was part of a set or bundle of steam loco maintenance yard equipment.

Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

Very nice find M8 , just one question , we all know that MOST steam loco's have a sand dome on top of the boiler , I have seen a few with sand boxes down on the running boards on either side of the boiler . Also on elock's & diesels the sand boxes are on either side of the body. If this is a correct model of a full scale sand facility how would these other types of engines be sanded by this type of bin ?

When I was a Driver at Lithgow depot we serviced all types of engines , a 2 road open ended shed with 2 x 20 ton sand bins sat on a steel structure positioned parallel above the shed with hoses feeding both sides . The hoses were of numerous lengths allowing for different positions of the sand boxes , one road being electrified & one without to allow either elock's or other types to sand on the running tracks . There was an additional track beside the shed to allow a bogie tank wagon to discharge sand into the fixed bins above by air discharge . This wagon was quite odd looking having 4 spherical domes on it holding the sand for transport .These wagons were filled at a central depot in Sydney from a supplier who had washed & graded the sand for rail purpose .

Howdy Tom,

If you look at the photo on the box cover it has a long dangley pipe setup hanging from the centre of the sand storage tank which I imagine would reach to most loco's running board level. Well what I assume at any rate.
Offline Tom Jessop  
#16 Posted : 25 February 2016 05:02:13(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

The pipe at the bottom of the tank is a steel pipe running thru two 5 degree angles to clear the centre line of the track , there is then a round pipe union which clamps the flexible hose in place , this then directs the flexible hose to one side of the engine but close enough to be caught & inserted in to the sand dome . I doubt if it would reach the running boards in this situation .

Cheers Tom in Oz.
Offline xxup  
#17 Posted : 25 February 2016 07:08:14(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
This is why the kit is great for a mod.. The pipe can easily be re-manufactured with a soft metal to simulate the union (for example)..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Br502362  
#18 Posted : 25 February 2016 08:41:26(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi Shamu,

I found one for you!

And world wide shipping is possible Laugh

http://www.modellbahn-oskar.at/...5770-besandungsturm.html

Sieppaav.PNG

Åke
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Shamu  
#19 Posted : 25 February 2016 09:47:31(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Åke,

Thanks for that but I had already found one yesterday afternoon.....Blushing sorry I guess I was a wee bit obtuse the way I went about saying it. Managed to get the last one on eBay DE that would post to Oz..... worked out to AU$44 with postage which is less than a normal Kibri or Faller would cost here.

My humble thanks for going to the trouble to find one for me though.ThumpUp
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline MalinAC  
#20 Posted : 25 February 2016 10:33:27(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hey Shane ,now that you found that duel track tingie dont you think you should buy a round of drinks for all the Forum members. BigGrin BigGrin Take care Eddie
Offline PJMärklin  
#21 Posted : 25 February 2016 11:10:37(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
Missed this thread completely. Here it is completed on my layout............

Hello JCR,

I like your turntable roundhouse !!

Regards,

PJ
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 25 February 2016 14:34:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Hi Alan,

Have my doubts but you never know. My biggest concern is that they keep the roundhouse going..... i'm going to need another one or more of them and you can't find them for love nor money in Oz any more.

I checked as far back as I could and it would appear that it has not been produced since at least 2007. I couldn't check back any further than that so really don't know when production stopped...... at least as a stand alone item. I still have it in the back of my mind that when I saw it a few years ago it was part of a set or bundle of steam loco maintenance yard equipment.

Is it this one you are looking for? Modellbahn Kramm are showing them for 'special price' which suggests running out of stock.

They also have this one which is a 6 stall for use with marklin, Fleischmann et al ... although I suspect you also need this kit with it to use with Marklin, although I haven't really read up on the details. for the 45754 3 stall there is this kit to convert to 6 stall.

Offline Br502362  
#23 Posted : 25 February 2016 15:50:24(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi Åke,

Thanks for that but I had already found one yesterday afternoon.....Blushing sorry I guess I was a wee bit obtuse the way I went about saying it. Managed to get the last one on eBay DE that would post to Oz..... worked out to AU$44 with postage which is less than a normal Kibri or Faller would cost here.

My humble thanks for going to the trouble to find one for me though.ThumpUp

Hi Shamu,

No problem with that BigGrin It took only 30 seconds to find it.

I am glad that you finally got it and with a good price.

Take care
Åke
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Shamu  
#24 Posted : 26 February 2016 03:48:03(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   

Is it this one you are looking for? Modellbahn Kramm are showing them for 'special price' which suggests running out of stock.

They also have this one which is a 6 stall for use with marklin, Fleischmann et al ... although I suspect you also need this kit with it to use with Marklin, although I haven't really read up on the details. for the 45754 3 stall there is this kit to convert to 6 stall.

Hi again Alan,

Yeah I'm most likely going to need 1 or maybe 2 more of the 5758 6 Stallers.

I have 2 already plus a 3 stall Markiln kit which will graft in relatively easily along with 2 old 3 stall Heljan 10deg extension kits (actually Con-Cor US kits) which I'm fairly confident can be cut down to 7.5deg to suit the Marklin turntables. I also have enough Kibri kits to make a 12 stall roundhouse.

It may sound like overkill but I have 2 7286 turntables for my engine yard and intend on fully populating them both at 15deg with 6 stalls at 7.5 if i'm successful cutting down the Heljan kits.

The add on bit you mentioned is only needed with the old 7186 turntable.

Likewise thank you for having a snoop for me ThumpUp
Offline kiwiAlan  
#25 Posted : 26 February 2016 17:43:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Hi again Alan,

Yeah I'm most likely going to need 1 or maybe 2 more of the 5758 6 Stallers.

I have 2 already plus a 3 stall Markiln kit which will graft in relatively easily along with 2 old 3 stall Heljan 10deg extension kits (actually Con-Cor US kits) which I'm fairly confident can be cut down to 7.5deg to suit the Marklin turntables. I also have enough Kibri kits to make a 12 stall roundhouse.

It may sound like overkill but I have 2 7286 turntables for my engine yard and intend on fully populating them both at 15deg with 6 stalls at 7.5 if i'm successful cutting down the Heljan kits.

The add on bit you mentioned is only needed with the old 7186 turntable.

Likewise thank you for having a snoop for me ThumpUp

You are welcome. I had seen the 6 stall one being specialled before Christmas at MK, so knew it had been around.

I wonder if your searching problem is because you aren't adding the '4' prefix now they are a Viessmann produced item since they bought out Vollmer.