Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline franciscohg  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2012 03:01:50(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi everybody, perhaps this topic belongs to the NMR section but as it is about a product not produced anymore, and they where in the last pages of that old catalogs that made (and still make) us dream i will put it here. It take to me years to finally can grab a couple of these boxes, and i finally found them here in chile by pure and great luck.

UserPostedImage

Four boxes of Marklin Metall, some boxes are a little worn, but all the pieces and catalogs are there and they seems to have been never putte away from the cardboard base....i just loved the wrap paper with the Brand and old bicycle logo on it.
I just so very Happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont know about the pricing of them, they are so rare to find...at least for me, but it seems that the buyer did not know what he has...less than U$ 200 for the four boxes!!!!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Ian555  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2012 05:41:21(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   

What a great find, enjoy them. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline 3rail4life  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2012 06:25:31(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Very cool, how can you not love the German Meccano? Congratulations on the great find!

Gordon
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2012 09:37:14(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Francisco,
What spectacular condition for those pieces! Great! A joy to find.

Thanks for sharing.

Gordon, I love your avatar, the WP F unit colour scheme was slightly understated, which makes it appealing.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#5 Posted : 14 April 2012 10:38:30(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
It was a great deal. You have over there in the middle the 1952 catalogue (or at least it appears to be), if it is in good condition that alone should be at least $50 USD. Is it in Spanish?
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 14 April 2012 10:49:50(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Good hunting.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline franciscohg  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2012 18:07:21(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
UserPostedImage

hi, thanks for your replies. the three bigger boxes has two catalogs each, all in German. also every box has the little brochure you can see.
the little box, has a Spanish catalog, wich is show open and with an image of Marklin factory.
they are all better than mint!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#8 Posted : 14 April 2012 21:50:32(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
UserPostedImage

hi, thanks for your replies. the three bigger boxes has two catalogs each, all in German. also every box has the little brochure you can see.
the little box, has a Spanish catalog, wich is show open and with an image of Marklin factory.
they are all better than mint!

Hi Marklin has used sometimes the same photos on the back of other catalogues. Now that you show them in more detail I have more doubts the 1952 (steam engine) is just that. If it has the trains it should be but in your photo the spine seems to be on the wrong side so I assume it is just the back of the erector catalogue.
There is also the one with the diesel engine (1950) that one seems smaller than what it should be so probably neither of the two are the full Marklin catalogues for those years but they have the reused the photos. If they were, both should be desirable on their own but even if they are not those particular catalogues you still got a great deal with those sets in such great condition.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline Yumgui  
#9 Posted : 15 April 2012 00:05:59(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Great find Francisco ! ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

I see some doubles in there ... ?

Y Tongue
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 15 April 2012 00:06:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
A great find Francisco. I've always had the thought/intention of getting some Marklin Metal - they produced a small set in 2009 for the 150 year anniversary which I wish I had got.

Takes me back to my childhood days - I had some Meccano, but sold it to buy trains.
Offline franciscohg  
#11 Posted : 15 April 2012 00:50:16(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: Yumgui Go to Quoted Post
Great find Francisco ! ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

I see some doubles in there ... ?

Y Tongue

jeje, yes, every big box came with two catalogs.....

not really care about the price, I don't think to sell them, it just was like open a treasure chest! priceless!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 15 April 2012 06:10:13(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Wonderful stuff the Marklin Metall.

The ideal combination for me would be robotic control and PC connectivety....

As I understand it, the 1019 ('digital-type') controller never actually made it into production and was originally suggested at something over 500Dm!!

Images.......
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
1007-p8.jpg
1007-p9.jpg
1019-p9.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Markus Schild  
#13 Posted : 15 April 2012 11:31:05(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

As I understand it, the 1019 ('digital-type') controller never actually made it into production and was originally suggested at something over 500Dm!!

Hi cookee,

The 1019 control-unit not only never went intro production, it also was never developed. All they made was that empty housing, you see on the photo. Today it is in a private collection ;-) .The scheduled retail-price in Germany was 459,-- DM. Märklin also planned to add pneumatic elements to the system in these years, but that also didn't came to market.

Regards

Markus

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 15 April 2012 12:46:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Another good find.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline cookee_nz  
#15 Posted : 15 April 2012 13:17:16(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post

Hi cookee,

The 1019 control-unit not only never went intro production, it also was never developed. All they made was that empty housing, you see on the photo. Today it is in a private collection ;-) .The scheduled retail-price in Germany was 459,-- DM. Märklin also planned to add pneumatic elements to the system in these years, but that also didn't came to market.

Regards

Markus

Thanks for the update Markus, and yet this is something LEGO managed to do with ease and simplicity, and affordable.

My late Son absolutely LOVED Lego Technic when he was young and could make the most amazing designs beyond the packaged kit design.

Yet another example of Marklin tempting the market with a brochure and then failing to go to production. Wonder what it was with the 1019, 'technical difficulties' or insufficient advance orders? (hardly surprising at that price, even their well-healed Swiss customers probably got a tear in their eye at that price-tag!!)

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#16 Posted : 17 April 2012 21:31:05(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Super find Francesco !!

Neil.
1950's Marklin Fan .
Offline john black  
#17 Posted : 28 April 2012 15:35:18(UTC)
john black

United States   
Coolness, Francisco - not a deal but a steal LaughLOLThumpUp
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by john black
Offline drstapes  
#18 Posted : 23 April 2015 18:12:22(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Congratulations, what a wonderful find. As a boy I used mix and match English Hornby meccano. My father was a great fan, He built me a "Cliff Lift" which was one of the major pre-war Meccano constructions.

Geoff
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drstapes
Offline Minok  
#19 Posted : 03 January 2017 22:31:12(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I recall having a metalbaukasten (metal building kit) in the late 1970's (77-78) at the grandparents. Those green, blue and red colors feel so familiar.
Mine looked sorta like this (I don't have it anymore and the grandparents house in Germany was sold a long time ago.. I suspect it ended up in the trash bin)
UserPostedImage
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Jabez  
#20 Posted : 04 January 2017 00:02:50(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   

Thanks for the update Markus, and yet this is something LEGO managed to do with ease and simplicity, and affordable.

Steve

There were many predecessors. I recall in the late 40s in UK a pal of mine had something called Minibrix I think. The reddish rubbery brick units had holes top and bottom which were joined by separate little black pins called universal plugs. You could construct all sorts of stuff, primarily architectural. They were near, but not quite near enough to make a Lego breakthrough.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Jabez  
#21 Posted : 04 January 2017 00:11:34(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I recall having a metalbaukasten (metal building kit) in the late 1970's

Wasn't Fischer or Fischerbautechnik the leading German Meccano equivalent in those days?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Minok  
#22 Posted : 09 January 2017 22:09:35(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post

Wasn't Fischer or Fischerbautechnik the leading German Meccano equivalent in those days?

Märklin Metalbaukasten was the equivalent to Meccano, based on what I see Meccano is/was.

Fischer, with its FischerTechnik products, was another construction kit option. I had some of that product line as well as a child. They were AWESOME. The FischerTechnik product is plastic based for the most part (its Fischer after all). You had extruded square profile beams with slots in each side and the ends had pins that would slide into the slots, that gave you much of the structure. Then add the gears, rods, chains, etc and later smart/robotic controlers and off you went. In my day, the basic blocks were a grey plastic.

UserPostedImage

I'd say Märklin was metal and Fischer was plastic but both gave you lots of options.

Now they are more colorful and varied as FischerTechnik still exists today.

http://www.fischertechnik.de/en/Home.aspx

UserPostedImage
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline cookee_nz  
#23 Posted : 10 January 2017 05:48:29(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post

Märklin Metalbaukasten was the equivalent to Meccano, based on what I see Meccano is/was.

Fischer, with its FischerTechnik products, was another construction kit option. I had some of that product line as well as a child. They were AWESOME. The FischerTechnik product is plastic based for the most part (its Fischer after all). You had extruded square profile beams with slots in each side and the ends had pins that would slide into the slots, that gave you much of the structure. Then add the gears, rods, chains, etc and later smart/robotic controlers and off you went. In my day, the basic blocks were a grey plastic.

I'd say Märklin was metal and Fischer was plastic but both gave you lots of options.

Now they are more colorful and varied as FischerTechnik still exists today.

http://www.fischertechnik.de/en/Home.aspx

UserPostedImage

Fisher Technik looks very similar to Märklin Plus?

PLUS_Kastenauswahl_1.jpg

And even this had a sub-set called minex, not to be confused with the 0 Scale/H0 Gauge Minex Confused

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline waorb  
#24 Posted : 10 January 2017 18:38:46(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Hello!

Wonderful rememberings...

I still have my Märklin Metalbaukasten from late 70's (maybe 80's). It was a gift from a trip of my father to Germany.

But it is a yellow/stainless steel version (not green/blue). Only the battery-powered motor, gears and the tire caps are red.
Some accessories are from red plastic also.

Meanwhile, if some of you are interested in a modern one-time series:

http://www.maerklin.de/de/produkte/details/article/10891/

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by waorb
Offline Crazy Harry  
#25 Posted : 26 January 2017 04:16:30(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
I was organizing the basement, I'm trying to make room to get my trains set up again, when I came across my old favourite Marklin Metallbaukasten. So instead of figuring out my track plan (I've been procrastinating on this for the last year and a half) I decided to build one of the projects in the plan book. Here's the result:

Marklin 1014 Project.jpg

It was fun and brought back a lot of memories. Now back to the trains!

Harold.

thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline bobsr  
#26 Posted : 20 April 2017 22:28:53(UTC)
bobsr

United States   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
I was organizing the basement, I'm trying to make room to get my trains set up again, when I came across my old favourite Marklin Metallbaukasten. So instead of figuring out my track plan (I've been procrastinating on this for the last year and a half) I decided to build one of the projects in the plan book. Here's the result:

Marklin 1014 Project.jpg

It was fun and brought back a lot of memories. Now back to the trains!

Harold.

Thanks for the story Harold, as now I am remembering I had a couple of these sets back in the mid 1950's as well. I remember the 105 set, and I think an electric motor. Probably haven't seen it since the late 50's, but I think it is in the attic. Should have gotten it out for the kids, but they were into the Lego's and then the Fischer Technic and LGB. I also have, and am looking at, the original red Mercedes Rennwagen-Baukasten which I built in the 1950's. It's in my den with a big Marklin key sticking out the top. (Unlike the Marklin wind up engine and tender from the 1950's I have which seems to be missing the key).

During a trip to Germany, I found the re-release of the same kit, in 1989, "1914- 1989 Seit 75 Jahren of MetallBaukasten von Marklin, " the same Red Mercedes Race Car and I bought it and brought it home (# 1076). Still have it unbuilt in the box. Box is a little beat up, but it is all original. I just looked at it and the key is not as good as the original, which has the Marklin logo on it. Times change! :)

Probably time to spend some time in the attic and see what else is still up there. Marklin and VB track and catinery, some rolling stock, whistle, bell, grade crossings, bloc signals are all still up there. Had it all set up in the1950's in a train room. No one I knew had anything like it. Used to play a 78 record for the train sounds, and at night it was all lit up and absolutely magical. I remember adding the lighting kits for the series 346 passenger cars. Analog fun....Maybe that is what the world needs more of at the moment. You can learn a lot setting up the original bloc signals, getting the special track pieces in the right place to set them off, wiring them up, and learning not to have the trains going too fast and over run the signals. Worked great, well before computers!

Thanks again for your article.

Best, Bob
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by bobsr