Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2012 21:18:33(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
A year ago I entered the wonderful world of digital; I was warned by knowledgeable Forum members of the consequences, but did not heed the warnings! I was strong, I convinced myself, I would be happy with just a start set, the supplied MS2, and maybe an extra loco or 2 with some nice sound functions, and that would be more than enough......(I can hear some of you saying "He wouldn't listen"!).
Well, one year on, and here I am with a board that's creaking with all the added weight of 10 digital locos, lots of added lights and LED's in coaches, a plethora of mechanisms, decoders, K83's, uncouplers, and still a few more digital locos on the way.......
An extra MS2 has duly arrived (with v1.81 software), to cope with the growing loco list!
Did I read somewhere that with both these MS2's a total of 40 locos can be loaded?!?!...
Please tell me I'm wrong!Crying Is there no known cure for this dreaded disease...?!?Scared
Ah, but wait.....A Wise Man once said that the purchase of a CS2 is the cure - can this be true....??...is this the answer I'm looking for...?!?Confused
so where to from here, my fellow Marklinists!?!? Tongue Tongue
Joe
Offline Johnvr  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2012 21:26:02(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Joe,

It's the Marklin bug .. can't get enough.
Even after 40 years .. just a few more locos and a few more wagons would be nice !

You missed out on some great shopping this past weekend !
Come with us next weekend !

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Ian555  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2012 21:28:59(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Joe,

Do you remember, I did say, build a strong framework for your layout.Wink Smile ThumpUp

Buy whatever the latest CS is, you won't regret it.....oh! and a few more Loco's.RollEyes

Enjoy the journey.

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2012 21:31:11(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Joe,

It's the Marklin bug .. can't get enough.
Even after 40 years .. just a few more locos and a few more wagons would be nice !

You missed out on some great shopping this past weekend !
Come with us next weekend !

Regards,BigGrin
John

Thanks John!...Indeed I heard about the excellent shopping spree. will be there next time!!
Joe
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2012 21:32:57(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joe,

Do you remember, I did say, build a strong framework for your layout.Wink Smile ThumpUp

Buy whatever the latest CS is, you won't regret it.....oh! and a few more Loco's.RollEyes

Enjoy the journey.

Ian.

Its those "few" more locos Ian - kinda never ending isn't it!!....what FUN!!Flapper
Joe
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2012 21:34:12(UTC)
H0

Hi, Joe!
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Did I read somewhere that with both these MS2's a total of 40 locos can be loaded?!?!...
You can have 40 locos with one MS2 (IIRC this came with version 1.6x).
AFAIK you can have 51 locos with two MS2s.

But this limitation only applies to internal memory. If you buy 1,000 loco cards, then you can store the data of 1,000 locomotives.
You can get a CS2 for the price of 400 loco cards, so that could be a cheaper option ...

BTW: you might be able to use the new MS2 to upgrade the old MS2 also to version 1.81. The MS2 with version 1.81 should also contain an upgrade for the track box.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Ian555  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2012 21:39:24(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Joe,

Doesn't seem that long ago, it was some M track and a blue transformer. Smile

Chuff,chuff.....Wink

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#8 Posted : 27 May 2012 22:34:54(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joe,

Doesn't seem that long ago, it was some M track and a blue transformer. Smile

Chuff,chuff.....Wink

Ian.

Hey Ian, those were the days!!BigGrin ...still got the m track, and blue trafo to run my ever dwindling stock of analog locos!!Sad
Joe
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#9 Posted : 27 May 2012 22:50:23(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Joe!
You can have 40 locos with one MS2 (IIRC this came with version 1.6x).
AFAIK you can have 51 locos with two MS2s.

But this limitation only applies to internal memory. If you buy 1,000 loco cards, then you can store the data of 1,000 locomotives.
You can get a CS2 for the price of 400 loco cards, so that could be a cheaper option ...

BTW: you might be able to use the new MS2 to upgrade the old MS2 also to version 1.81. The MS2 with version 1.81 should also contain an upgrade for the track box.

Oh Yes!! it works a treat - now have both MS2's: SW v1.81; rail box v1.39; HW 2.0; LDB v010 (11/2); language 1.47.
Also has extra loco symbols I see....Thanks Tom
What I have found is I must take care with the number of locos running at the same time: running 4 to 5 locos (2 with sound and smoke, and 4 passenger coaches with lights (not LED's), and 4 coaches with LED, draws 1.2/1.3 amp. and shows 17.6/17.5 V, with temp 32 degrees - would this be kinda on the limit of running capabilities with a MS2? [I only have the original 2 wires from the track to the connector box - haven't added any extra feeder wires yet - would this help?
I have also been told to convert the coach lighting to LED's?
Thanks again for all the help!!
Joe
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 27 May 2012 23:47:53(UTC)
H0

The MS2 is limited to 1.9 A (actually it's a limit of the track box).
So with 1.3 A you have amble reserve left.
LEDs instead of light bulbs will reduce the current drawn.
Light bulb typically 0.06 A, LED typically 0.02 A.
Three light bulbs typically 0.18 A, three LEDs (wired serially) typically 0.02 A.

There should be little variation of the output voltage shown (18 V coming from the power supply).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 28 May 2012 09:11:41(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
A year ago I entered the wonderful world of digital; I was warned by knowledgeable Forum members of the consequences, but did not heed the warnings! I was strong, I convinced myself, I would be happy with just a start set, the supplied MS2, and maybe an extra loco or 2 with some nice sound functions, and that would be more than enough......(I can hear some of you saying "He wouldn't listen"!).
Well, one year on, and here I am with a board that's creaking with all the added weight of 10 digital locos, lots of added lights and LED's in coaches, a plethora of mechanisms, decoders, K83's, uncouplers, and still a few more digital locos on the way.......
An extra MS2 has duly arrived (with v1.81 software), to cope with the growing loco list!
Please tell me I'm wrong!Crying Is there no known cure for this dreaded disease...?!?Scared
Ah, but wait.....A Wise Man once said that the purchase of a CS2 is the cure - can this be true....??...is this the answer I'm looking for...?!?Confused
so where to from here, my fellow Marklinists!?!? Tongue Tongue
Joe

And did your parents say....

"Joseph, don't run along that gravel path, you'll slip and hurt yourself" - and did you listen? (do you still have the scars?)

"Joseph, eat your greens or you won't grow strong and healthy" - and did you listen?

"Joseph, don't tease your sister/brother/cat" - and did you listen?

"Joseph, save some of your pocket money for a rainy day" - and did you listen? (maybe you did, you have purchased Märklin afterall)

"Joseph, don't drink too much beer at that party" - and did you listen?

"Joseph, we are going to be away for the weekend, you may have a couple of friends over but NO party" - and did you listen?

"Joseph, seek wise advice on your plans from knowledgeable forum members" - and did you listen?

AND NOW YOU EXPECT US TO SYMPATHISE ??????????????????

Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image