Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 25 May 2012 15:07:35(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
I am most impressed with the "new generation" mLD decoders: I recently had fitted the 60941 motor set and 60962 mLD decoder to one of my older analogue locos: the 3309 BR85 (with Telex).
The loco really runs superbly, very smoothly, and has excellent slow running characteritics - and with the TELEX it is a star shunting loco!BigGrin
At a cost of 46 odd Euro for both motor and decoder, I think this was an excellent investment.
To date I have only used the 60760, and altho it is also good value for money, the newer mLD kits are quite superior, esp in speed adjustments (the speed increments are hardly noticeable!), and the loco really crawls along at a snails pace - there is an added "tortoise" control that can be activated when shunting.
has anyone else used the new generation kits?
Joe.....Cool

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 May 2012 15:23:50(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
has anyone else used the new generation kits?
Yes, but I was not impressed. I bought the mLD for a Trix loco where ESU decoders cannot be used (without modifying the loco PCB). I still prefer ESU decoders.
The new mfx-free ESU V4 have a very versatile, mighty function mapping - much more sophisticated than the mLD.
Both ESU V4 and mLD have many undocumented features (or with other words: a lot of information is missing in the manuals).

BTW: all mfx decoders allow activation of a shunting mode (reduced speed) and the well-known ABD off mode (acceleration and braking delay off).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dave Banks  
#3 Posted : 26 May 2012 00:28:03(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

Hello Tom & Joe, I have just purchased a Trix 22775 loco that is on its way to me. It comes with a 21-pin digital connector & apparently I must fit my own decoder. I had the new ESU V4 sound decoder in mind but now am reading your statement with great interest that the PCB needs modifying. Can you elaborate on that one please. Alternatively can the older ESU v3.5 / MFX type decoder just be plugged in & nothing more to do scenario. Looking forward to your reply.

D.A.Banks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2012 01:14:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I got some mSD decoder kits for my 2 Trix Br44's. I was rather disappointed with the low sound level, even though by default it is set to maximum. I ended up replacing the 8 ohm Marklin speaker with 4 ohm ESU ones, which made a difference.

I hope to try some larger 4 ohm speakers later on - the ones I have are 20mm.

I have also got an ESU Loksound 4 mfx decoder to fit to my 34780 Ice 3 train.
Offline Dave Banks  
#5 Posted : 26 May 2012 03:52:16(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi David,I have not taken delivery of this TRIX 22775 AE6/6 yet. Am curious what if any speakers it has in it & why it is suggested that I cannot fit an ESU decoder without making some modifications. I am hoping someone out there is familiar with this model & have done this sound decoder fitment already. Do you have any suggestions? I am also intrigued why it is sold without a digital decoder in the first place. But it was very inexpensive to buy brand new & I like the idea of fitting my decoder of choice & not being forced into buying the new Marklin decoders that I of late have already had a bad & expensive experience with.
D.A.Banks
Offline 3rail4life  
#6 Posted : 26 May 2012 04:30:06(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi Joe, I am glad to hear your conversion of the BR 85 went so well, it is a great loco.ThumpUp I too think the mLD and mSD kits are a good value, and hope to convert many of my not too old analog models with them. Most are DCM so I will be upgrading to the hla motor as well. I do have a few older LFCM models want try with a Hamo magnets to see if they can be tuned for low speed operation as well as the ESU Lok pilot decoder. I would like to do a comparison of the two decoders, but I am still learning how to use the CS2 decoder programing and have yet to really get it. Your positive experience inspired me to get the soldering station out and get to work on a conversion. Now the question is which one will it be? I am thinking my delta streamlined BR 03.10 would be a good one for the mLD. I will let you know how it goes.

Gordon

Edited by user 26 May 2012 11:31:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 26 May 2012 06:24:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Dave, the Trix Br44's that I have are the 22043 and 22044, which were released in 2009 for the Langer Heinrich series of trains.

I haven't tried them with an ESU decoder, as I don't have one with the 21 pin connectors. I purchased the mSD decoders because they were a bit cheaper. I must admit I took a bit of a risk in buying them as I did not know whether they would work in the Trix locos or not, but they are fine.

The Br44's did not have any decoders fitted from the factory, rather just a small circuit board for DC running that you replace with a decoder when upgrading. I didn't make any wiring changes on the Trix locos, so the wheels are still electrically isolated from each other. The locos run fine without changing the wiring, so I didn't bother. I only removed the DC pickups and fitted a clip on slider underneath the loco's tender.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 26 May 2012 06:54:02(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
David thanks for that info. Yes the decoders are a lot cheaper than ESU. But I have no means to load a specific sound profile to one of these new decoders. Might have to get a specific Marklin programmer for them. I only have an Ecos 50200 at present & MS2. I am getting a set of trailing wheels for this loco to improve the earth quality of the loco & fit the correct slider. I will wait till it arrives & go from there. Thanks for your input.

D.A.Banks
Offline Lollo  
#9 Posted : 26 May 2012 07:59:06(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
David thanks for that info. Yes the decoders are a lot cheaper than ESU. But I have no means to load a specific sound profile to one of these new decoders. Might have to get a specific Marklin programmer for them. I only have an Ecos 50200 at present & MS2. I am getting a set of trailing wheels for this loco to improve the earth quality of the loco & fit the correct slider. I will wait till it arrives & go from there. Thanks for your input.

Hi Dave,

One reason I have not bought any mSD decoders is that you have to have a CS2 to download sound files to the decoders. Basically the CS2 is the programmer for these new decoders. No other current device I know of can do it.
As I have a loksound programmer, I will be sticking with ESU decoders, also I will most probably upgrade in the future to an ECoS CS.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 26 May 2012 08:30:11(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I had the new ESU V4 sound decoder in mind but now am reading your statement with great interest that the PCB needs modifying. Can you elaborate on that one please.
Not all locos require modification - but the TRAXX locos from Trix will not work correctly with ESU decoders (and AFAIK there are other locos, too). I cannot speak for the Ae 6/6 though.

Difference is with AUX3/4: ESU makes them as logical outputs as required by NEM specifications. Märklin's mLD has them fully amplified.
OT: the mSD is available in two versions - coz the new fully amplified one will not be compatible with older Märklin mfx locos (if the mSD Spezial fits, ESU will also fit).

AUX1/2 are required to be fully amplified by both specifications. And the point that makes me really angry: The Trix TRAXX locos do not make use of AUX1/2, they only use AUX3/4. If the PCB would simply use AUX1/2 instead, everything would be fine with either ESU or Trix or mLD decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 26 May 2012 10:30:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Lollo Go to Quoted Post
One reason I have not bought any mSD decoders is that you have to have a CS2 to download sound files to the decoders.

I guess I'm lucky there, having both a CS2 and an Ecos, as well as a Lokprogrammer.

It is quite easy to upload new sound files, the process is demonstrated in a video on the marklin.de website.
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 26 May 2012 10:32:06(UTC)
H0

I have not taken delivery of this TRIX 22775 AE6/6 yet. Am curious what if any speakers it has in it & why it is suggested that I cannot fit an ESU decoder without making some modifications.
I just checked the explosion diagram for the 22775.
It comes without speakers (no sound, no speakers).

The decoder PCB is described as "Leiterplatte Schnittstelle ESU", so there should be no problem fitting an ESU decoder into this loco.

You will have to replace the 12 V light bulbs with the 22 V Märklin version (4 light bulbs required).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Dave Banks  
#13 Posted : 26 May 2012 14:17:21(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Tom, Many thanks for your reply. I was leaning towards an ESU decoder but it has a high price tag. So maybe the mSD or Marklin 60945/46/47 sound decoder might be the trick. At the moment offered @ 69.99EUR. I will also remember to change to digital globes x4.
D.A.Banks
Offline witzlerh  
#14 Posted : 26 May 2012 16:36:01(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Marklin USA apparently will be offereing (441-)60801, a sound programer board for about $120 USD. I got a notice from Marklin USA and it is listed at Walthers as incoming, however it is not listed on Marklin.com or maerlin.com. I think this is in response to those that want the mSD but do not have or want to get a CS2.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline 3rail4life  
#15 Posted : 26 May 2012 22:14:13(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Well I have say after finally sitting down and getting to work I have successfully converted my 3489 BR 03.10 from delta to mLD with the 60942 and a hla motor from a 60760 kit. I like Joe, had a good experience with the conversion, runs great right out of the box with very good low speed and top speed performance, I think the mid range may be a bit wide and I may eventually try to fine tune the operation a bit. For now I am just happy to have a loco the runs as good as it looks. The pcb board with wiring is nice with lots of long wire connections including four orange wires, has great labeling and lots of extra solder pads for custom installations. Another nice feature is the the hole in the middle for screw to mount or remove the holder without removing the board first.

mLD pcb

On the track the loco was instantly detected by the CS2 and with at tap on the mfx icon brought up the mLD icon which was easily customized to my BR 03.10

For converting older locomotives needing function controls I think this kit fits the bill nicely at a very competitive price I hope Märklin does well with it.

Gordon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#16 Posted : 27 May 2012 19:15:13(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Well done Gordon! Glad it all went well; as you say, such great low speed running. It really is such a pleasure running the BR85 now.
And good value for money I reckon....Joe