Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2010 05:24:26(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of building a Faller Swiss cottage, which I picture below. While the photos don't show it well, I've sanded, painted, and dullcoated the living daylights out the kit in a quest for a more realistic but not over-the-top appearance. Its been going along nicely (a simple kit I must admit) however I've now come to the roof. The roof Faller provides is possibly the worst fitting, ugliest piece of plastic I've ever seen! I have to wonder if the pattern is even remotely prototypical for this type of building.

The last photo shows what the roof (unpainted and unweathered)looks like 1/2 mounted. Its bad! Does anyone know what a prototypical building or roof of this sort might look like? Any sort of imagery or advice would help so I know what direction I can take my weathering. (or scratchbuilding of a roof if need be) A simple color wash might not match this one up well enough!

Also, on the subject of the prototype are white walls like htat normally clean and free of cracks etc..? If there is further appropriate detailing that can be done I'd love to know what! Unfortunately the photo on the box is the raw kit built up, not one I can use for inspiration...

Thanks for the help, these Swiss buildings are a type of model architecture I'm not used to painting/ doing up to look good!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 12:50:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
Offline spitzenklasse  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2010 19:52:46(UTC)
spitzenklasse

These seem to me to be the least realistic kits Faller has had in a long time. Are they re-intro's from the 70's?
I would use a cotton swab, dipped in grey flat, then paint the roof, not too heavy. If it looks heavy, or thick, wipe some off, and spread it out. a cabin burns wood for heat, so sooty is ok. I would weather the white sides as well.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2010 21:07:17(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
The thought hadn't occured to me, but it definately may be a reissue from the 70's. I just did what I thought were 3 wonderful kits in a row,and this one just seems a bit bland. overall its ok, but the roof is a disaster. Looks like I'll be doing some cutting and weathering today!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mmervine  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2010 00:13:06(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
John-I usually weather my structures with a thin wash of black and brown water based paint. I buy this paint at craft stores for about one dollar per bottle and mix it with tap water. This will 'dull' the plastic look and give a little light weathering.

BTW-these look like re-issues of some older Pola kits!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2010 01:56:59(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Here is the result! I sanded and weathered the hell out of it. (and the white walls) it looks much better, but overall the roof is just too darn big- doesn't show of the house and details well

UserPostedImage
SBB Era 2-5
Offline steamfriend  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2010 14:03:11(UTC)
steamfriend

Superb work ! Congratulations !!
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 15 May 2010 14:52:56(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Personally I would be proud to have such a house on my layout... ThumpUp
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Macfire  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2010 06:20:48(UTC)
Macfire

mmervine wrote:
John-I usually weather my structures with a thin wash of black and brown water based paint.

Hi Mark.
What mix do you use?
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.