Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grr_1954  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2010 21:37:35(UTC)
grr_1954

Hello,

In our forum in spanish, lCTM, there are many messages about cracks in sections of track C, especially in parts purchased before 2000 (and in some cases in other recently purchased). It's sort of material fatigue or degradation of the plastic.
It has changed the composition or the type of plastic used in its manufacture?
Marklin proudly proclaiming the excellence of BASF's Luran.

Can anyone comment on some similar experiences?

Regards,

Gerardo Rivero,
San Fernando, Cádiz, Spain.
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2010 21:58:51(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have used C track now on two layouts. (same track) without any bother. Some have found that it cracks but I think this was an intial batch. Buy from a dealer who sells lots of it and you will have the most recent track from the factory.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2010 22:18:16(UTC)
Webmaster

I have had problems with C-track, seems like that plastic roadbed gets brittle and breaks easily after a while... I'd say a C-track is very good for 5-6 years, since even my newest ones from 2002-2004 leave small pieces of plastic behind when I disassemble a temporary layout. Sometimes a corner of the trackbed or even the plastic lock hoops break too...

I suppose the characteristics are a bit dependent on humidity in the air and also temperature. I am not impressed by the quality of the plastic, since it's obviously deteriorating over time.

The track system itself is great, but as said - I am not impressed by the quality of the plastic used...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2010 22:53:34(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have read some other forum, I have brought C-tracks from date 2002 onwards and no sign of cracks.

Look out for Date of production mark under every c-track.

This picture show date said '3 05' (March2005), Remember don't buy old C-track date before 2000.

UserPostedImage
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2010 23:15:31(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I have a wide array of C track from various ages and in the case of used purchases climates. My findings are that the stuff cracks like crazy, I must have thrown away $200 worth at used prices over the years. I'm really not happy about it, and I'm going to have a long hard look at K track next large layout I do. No matter how careful I get with the C, stuff seems to crack. Its amazing stuff when it stays together, I just wish they would make it with quality plastic...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 05 April 2010 23:22:45(UTC)
Webmaster

Good to know I'm not alone with the problem...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline rschaffr  
#7 Posted : 05 April 2010 23:43:17(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
The majority of the C track I won is down permanently on my era III layout. I do have an extended oval with switches in a starter set I bought for my grandson. That has been together and apart many many times without a problem. I will check the manufacture date on the track next time I get it out.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 06 April 2010 00:39:56(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Gee.. Some of my track is over 40 years old and there is no sign of cracking.. Flapper Flapper Flapper

Marklin should bring back m-track or drop the price of C track to reasonable levels..

Dear Marklin, I would like to see 5200 contract track pieces.. That way I would not have to use Viessmann 5233 s88 units and wayward wagons could still be detected by the computer..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 06 April 2010 01:18:26(UTC)
H0

steventrain wrote:
Remember don't buy old C-track date before 2000.

I have 3 pieces of track where something broke off - and IIRC they are from 2001.

I have no problems with 2002 and newer.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 06 April 2010 02:08:12(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
It does look like there is a bad batch somewhere as some of lots of faults and others like myself have none.
The track is so solid that I can stand on it without causing a problem (dont actually make a habit of this)
Perhaps those with a problem could get in touch with Marklin and ask why this happens and if they will replace the faulty parts.
C track is not cheap and I buy it because of the running qualities and its stength and it would be nice to know that Marklin can ensure this is the case for all my pals on the forum.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline steventrain  
#11 Posted : 07 April 2010 16:34:20(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
H0 wrote:
steventrain wrote:
Remember don't buy old C-track date before 2000.

I have 3 pieces of track where something broke off - and IIRC they are from 2001.

I have no problems with 2002 and newer.

Thanks for the note, Tom.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Marius in Africa  
#12 Posted : 07 April 2010 16:53:30(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
I agree with most of the opinions stated here C-track goes brittle and harden with age. I do not believe this problem only occurs with the pre 2000 track. Try to electrify / motorise your C-track turnouts after only a few months and see how the plastic breaks when you fit the screws!

Nowadays i lay the turnout in the sun for 15minutes to warm up the plastic and I use a lubricant on the screw threads. Then I fit the motor and turn the screws in about halfway only. Put the turnout back into the sun for 10 minutes or so and then only turn the screws in to the final position. But SLOWLY thought to give the plastic time to stretch and not break. The added heat and time seems to help a lot.

If you are going to use C-track fit all the under-track stuff when you buy the track, lay it, screw it down and leave it. It does not like to be taken apart time after time.
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline dntower85  
#13 Posted : 07 April 2010 17:33:51(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Thanks Steven I would of never thought of looking for a build date stamp, but that looks harder to read than picking out a 24224 R2 curve from your R1 track.

side by side the pre-2000 track looks darker.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 07 April 2010 17:39:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Marius in Africa wrote:
I agree with most of the opinions stated here C-track goes brittle and harden with age. I do not believe this problem only occurs with the pre 2000 track. Try to electrify / motorise your C-track turnouts after only a few months and see how the plastic breaks when you fit the screws!

Nowadays i lay the turnout in the sun for 15minutes to warm up the plastic and I use a lubricant on the screw threads. Then I fit the motor and turn the screws in about halfway only. Put the turnout back into the sun for 10 minutes or so and then only turn the screws in to the final position. But SLOWLY thought to give the plastic time to stretch and not break. The added heat and time seems to help a lot.

If you are going to use C-track fit all the under-track stuff when you buy the track, lay it, screw it down and leave it. It does not like to be taken apart time after time.

Funny, that's not my experience. I bought C track and used it occasionally in different track arrangements over a space of 2 or 3 years, then I fitted it with point motors for my permanent layout. After some time I have lifted several sections for alterations. Nothing has broken at all.

In contrast, one turnout I bought on ebay arrived broken in several places. Maybe that one is from the bad batch
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline tiono  
#15 Posted : 07 April 2010 17:43:17(UTC)
tiono

United States   
I have Marklin digital starter set #29845, the oval tracks was used by my kid, and assembled/disassembled every few months. After around 3 years, almost all of the C-tracks crack or its locking guide was broken. The plastic quality is not impressive at all. But this set came from year 2000, so probably it belongs to the problematic batch.

Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 07 April 2010 18:48:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have lifted turnouts over a period of 8 years many times and cleaned motors and decoders and replaced them all with no problems. I have 26 turnouts all of which are great and work well.
I know it is annoying when I say I have no problems when clearly others have but there must be something that causes this. Whether a bad batch or the climate changes (heat,damp etc)
As I said earlier in the thread why not take it up with Marklin as C track is made to be laid and taken apart many times.

Dave
Offline mike c  
#17 Posted : 07 April 2010 19:12:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I encountered this issue with my 29859 Set (2000). The plastic guide tabs for the contact clips started breaking off almost immediately. I contacted Maerklin and was provided details of their exchange offer for the track. Unfortunately, it seemed that they were willing to replace only those sections that had broken and not the entire trackage from the set in one shot. It would have been too costly and frustrating to send each track section back individually after the defect manifested itself. I resolved the issue by replacing most of the track sections with new ones. In order to make identifying the track sections, I used a applicator to apply a drop of ink on each section from the start set still in use, so that they are not confused with the newer (and so far intact) track sections.

Regards

Mike C
Offline dr rookie  
#18 Posted : 27 April 2010 21:21:26(UTC)
dr rookie

Have same problem with you guys here most of the plastic guide of mine gone already. Are you guys trying say the K and M track are better then C track?
Whatever you do the most count.
Offline oz_train  
#19 Posted : 28 April 2010 05:12:15(UTC)
oz_train

Australia   
Hello all,
there seems to be a wide variation in the experiences of members regarding C-Track failure. I have also noticed fragile behaviour... my son and I laid a reasonable sized "carpetbahn", and there were bits and pieces of C-Track everywhereAngry. We were careful as we laid and adjusted the track.

I do have a "large" selection of C-Track, from various sources, collected over 8 or so years - so random pieces may well be the "pre-2000" ones. However, I'm wondering if there is another factor involved here.

So, I'd like to ask... how do you all store your C-Track when it is not in use? In original boxes, loose in shelves, in other containers? I keep mine in closed plastic storage boxes, arranged per "type" (straights, curves, normal turnouts, curved turnouts etc), and I've often wondered whether this might be a factor in C-Track failure... Any thoughts?

regards,
John
Offline sudibarba  
#20 Posted : 28 April 2010 06:18:50(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Well Ray, maybe this is the start of some new interesting posts that we miss. At any rate, I'm sort of feeling good about buying up a lot of brand new and nearly so M Track at about $1.25 average cost. As I have always felt, it was here for 50 years and will be there 50 years into the future. My grand kids and later will be able to use the same track. Now, I really need to quit buying these new Loks with C sine and can motors. They will never last either and will be extremely expensive to repair when they fail.

The old motors can be repaired by anyone and I feel sure parts will be available forever.

Just trying to stir it up a little.

Eric
Offline rhobson1968  
#21 Posted : 28 April 2010 06:18:59(UTC)
rhobson1968

There was an article a couple of years ago about M oursourcing the production and the company used to high of a percentage of regrind material while making the track. Regrind is common in injection molding but has to be limited or it will cause product to fail. The quality issue was never brought forth but was known according to the article. Could be one of those like Toyota... just hope my track doesn't take off on my own...Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
Never quit building.
Offline sudibarba  
#22 Posted : 28 April 2010 07:10:58(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
rhobson1968 wrote:
There was an article a couple of years ago about M oursourcing the production and the company used to high of a percentage of regrind material while making the track. Regrind is common in injection molding but has to be limited or it will cause product to fail. The quality issue was never brought forth but was known according to the article. Could be one of those like Toyota... just hope my track doesn't take off on my own...Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

That would be interesting to see. If Marklin allowed an unusual amount of regrind in the base then shame on them. Considering what they sell the track for (even wholesale)that would be a small cost advantage. Normally what happens, with injection molded parts like these, you start off with virgin resins only. Then, due to cost reduction pressures you slowly add regrind. Now, today, you normally only have hot runner tooling which eliminates most regrind unless you have horrible quality problems anyway.
If they were buying regrind from the outside for this product they have lost their minds.
Eric
Offline grnwtrs  
#23 Posted : 29 April 2010 23:44:54(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
I was a early sucker to buy C track. At the time I wanted to be able to set up a simple tablebahn for the grand-kids. Actually, it was a training (pun intended) device for them.
In reality for me. It gave me a chance to watch them play and be creative in setting up the ovals, passing tracks, and sidings. Something for them to do without having to do anything. Plus it gave my wife and I some free time after a hectic day with them.

It wasn't long until they showed me the pieces of C track that came off, mostly on the sides that didn't affect the running characteristic of the layouts they built. What bothered me most was the metal(you know the flimsy ones) that you connect up the power to the 6021 control unit. I personally must of broke off 4-5 different ones. But no matter, they were able to run the different trains, shunting operations as they wished.

They also set up the M track on the floor, as I have been buying it every time I see it offered. That was our start in the hobby in the mid-60's . Picked up quite a bit over the years, and when C track came out, there was a wholesale disposal of M track. I bought all I found at US $ 0.50 a section. Now look at the price. My plan all along was to set up a small layout for the conventional engines we have, that will not be converted to digital.

Unfortunately We still have a broken TV in our house, when the grand kids visit for a weekend..
I have a goodly number of K-track which I was going to use for a gran layout. That has yet to be built, and looking less likely as the engines pile up.
Offline Hemmerich  
#24 Posted : 30 April 2010 01:42:37(UTC)
Hemmerich

-

Edited by user 21 November 2010 02:05:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline David Dewar  
#25 Posted : 30 April 2010 01:47:53(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I agree with Lutz that this is not an issue now. As said I have had C track for years and even the early parts are still OK. It has been used on two layouts and I have stood on a turnout (by mistake) with no problem.
The electrical connection is so much better and wiring is dead easy.
I have used other tracks and K is fine if you want to ballast but nothing else comes close to C.
Offline mrmarklin  
#26 Posted : 02 May 2010 20:55:32(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I was an early user of C Track beck in 1996 when it first came out. I was satisfied with the quality. But later batches have not fared so well. I have a fairly recent Swiss starter set (ca2004) that has problems and some of the batches I have bought in the last couple of years have also had problems. I like C Track, but this brittleness seems to be a batch to batch quality control problem. My 1998 mega starter set has been good quality for example.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline Hemmerich  
#27 Posted : 03 May 2010 23:31:06(UTC)
Hemmerich

-

Edited by user 21 November 2010 02:06:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Nixelbahn  
#28 Posted : 05 August 2010 22:44:55(UTC)
Nixelbahn

Finally! I found this forum and see that I am not the only one with the brittle C-Track problem. I've called around to several dealers in the US, most notably the "big one" in PA, and ALL have denied any knowledge of this being a problem. "First I've heard of it!" is the frequent reply I get from many reputable dealers. In addition, I've searched on German websites as well (ich kann Deutsch) and again no information or acknowledgement that this is a problem.

All my C-Track is from 1998 to 2002, and all of it has problems with the road bed splitting or the fastening clips cracking off. I have a lot of this track that has been lovingly used and stored in the past years. It appears from the posts here that this is a manufacturing problem using substandard or short life plastics.

Too bad. I would have hoped that Märklin would have had more pride in their quality and not allowed such poor quality track to be produced.

Give me M-Track any day! Yes, yes, I know all the arguments about rust and prototypical appearance, but I must say my original M set from 1967 holds up like a champ and the metal has a curious tendency NOT to break! Fortunately I have a lot of that track as well, so I suppose I'll be passing all that to the grandkids one day instead of a box of black plastic crumblies.

Thanks for the info all!
Offline dntower85  
#29 Posted : 05 August 2010 23:38:05(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Welcome to the forum NixelBahn,

The 2000 and newer C-track is much better.

I still think the design of the track is excellent, but its a shame that marklin didn't use a plastic like what is used in LGB's plastic ties. That stuff will most likely last forever.

DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline nevw  
#30 Posted : 06 August 2010 01:29:37(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Maerklin were replacing faulty C track IF sent back to the factory and I believe that ,without any company announcements , the replacement is still being done, maybe Lutz (rezident expert on all things M) can enkighten us if this is still the policy.

I have a lot of new trach and I get some cracking on some track from different years, 2002-2007. Only clips cracking not road bed cracking.
Until I get a decent amount to send back it is not worth the cost of postage.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline steventrain  
#31 Posted : 06 August 2010 12:27:29(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Nixelbahn,

Welcome to the forum.
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 06 August 2010 13:01:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I bought a quantity from ebay and it must of been produced when c-track was still brittle.
my turnouts and tracks, some of them are in bits and pieces but have glued it all back together with superglue.
New tracks I haven't had any problems with them.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline David Dewar  
#33 Posted : 06 August 2010 13:43:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
With several hundred bits of C track I still await my first crack. Does this happen when track is broken up and relaid on a regular basis or to track which is laid and not touched (other then by trains)

dave
Offline nevw  
#34 Posted : 06 August 2010 14:17:08(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
David Dewar wrote:
With several hundred bits of C track I still await my first crack. Does this happen when track is broken up and relaid on a regular basis or to track which is laid and not touched (other then by trains)

dave

DAve, usually happens when you want to relay track and if not careful in taking the track apart the small plastic bits near the eclectical connectors break.
No great harm BUT it can cause a slightly loose connection.
PS+ I have about 200 Metres of track.
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline David Dewar  
#35 Posted : 06 August 2010 19:41:06(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Nev. I am now building a second layout with the track used from the last one and so far all is usable with nothing broken. The turnouts are also fine. Much of the track comes from around 2002/2003. I lay the track with a very small amount of copydex on the edges (a rubbery type glue) The glue hold the track but it is easy to lift it and the glue just peels away from the trackbed ready for the next layout.
What I do find with my C track is that the colour does fade over a period but can of course be repainted to any ballast type colour.
Would be good Nev if you could lay your 200 meters in a straight line and do an end to end layout. It is amazing the amount of the stuff you need to buy to built a layout but as long as mine lasts then i am happy.
Nothing worse than somebody who has a problem reading that somebody else thinks its wonderful lol. !!

Dave
Offline Nixelbahn  
#36 Posted : 06 August 2010 19:56:40(UTC)
Nixelbahn

First off, thanks all for the welcome. Great forum here and lots of good stuff from everyone in the hobby!

Dave, my issue started with the C-track about two years ago, simply pulling some out of the boxes and "C-licking" it together. At first it was the occasional snaps that hold the track together, one of the two side supports on the female socket would simply break out when I snapped the two pieces in. As I've taken the track apart and put it back up a few more times, more pieces started snapping away in the same location.

For the most part the track is secure until both supports on the female side of the track end break; then the track will not hold flush any longer. Not a problem if you have track screws and mount the track to some support board or road bed for a more semi-permanent layout. HOWEVER! My lastest problem with it, in the last 9 months, is the that the track is now starting to break off in chunks about the size of a dime or a nickel; mainly in the four corners area, and this is happening again with simple clicking it together for temporary runs, then putting it away for a few months. I'm sure it can glue together fine with super glue. Nonetheless, I'm still disappointed in the product coming from Märkin like that.

Regarding an exchange program outside of standard warranty, if anyone has details on what one needs to do with that, please let me know. I also would gather up a few dozen pieces to make it worth my while on the exchange.

Glad to here for most users the later track is not a problem.
Offline Ian555  
#37 Posted : 06 August 2010 20:02:21(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Nixelbahn,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Sorry to hear about your C track problems.

Ian.
Offline Purellum  
#38 Posted : 06 August 2010 20:43:38(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

The information previously written here was wrong, please read my new post later in the tread.

Per.

Cool

Edited by user 07 August 2010 14:49:29(UTC)  | Reason: Wrong information.

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#39 Posted : 07 August 2010 00:58:12(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Looks like there is not much can be done with the faulty C track but perhaps an email to Marklin would confirm. Could take a while to get an answer though. The track I understood should be used and taken apart many times and this was one of the selling points. My layout is permanent which is why i probably dont have any bother.

Per. 350 euros to upgrade a CS1 !!!! yuk sell it and get a CS2. That cost is almost the price of a CS1 when it was new.

dave
Offline RayF  
#40 Posted : 07 August 2010 01:00:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Before I changed my layout to C track I would set up the track on the floor or the dining room table every few weeks to try out different track layouts.

I never had any piece of track break. Most of my track is from 2004/2005.
Ray
Offline Webmaster  
#41 Posted : 07 August 2010 01:21:58(UTC)
Webmaster

Guess you are lucky then, Ray... Cool
Offline RayF  
#42 Posted : 07 August 2010 01:33:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Webmaster wrote:

I guess...ThumpUp

I did buy some older pieces on ebay which arrived already broken. I had to glue them together with superglue.

Still, I find that M track is very sturdy and doesn't break easily, but it does bend and deform quite a bit, especially the rail joiners. I had a lot of trouble with my old M track turnouts as well, before I changed to C Track. The check rails were always going out of alignment, and the frogs (crossings) were badly worn.

I know we've discussed this in a previous thread, but I'm more convinced than ever that the cause of the C Track plastic going brittle must be environmental. Some people have lots of trouble, and some have none at all. Could it be exposure to UV, or extreme temperatures or humidity?
Ray
Offline jeehring  
#43 Posted : 07 August 2010 04:31:50(UTC)
jeehring

RayPayas wrote:
Webmaster wrote:

I guess...ThumpUp

...(...)...I know we've discussed this in a previous thread, but I'm more convinced than ever that the cause of the C Track plastic going brittle must be environmental. ...(...)...?

That's also my feeling.
2 or several factors in conjunction...??? RollEyes
It's now OK with the last 5 years production.
But with one former batch - it was around 2001/2002 - I noticed a few missing coach bolts (represented on the model as small plastic tabs....) without consequence , I still use those pieces of track.
At this time I used to clean my track with some kind of very efficient solvent. As I noticed the broken tabs (coach bolts) , I changed my way of cleaning track. Today I carefully avoid to put solvent on plastic. My solvent is only for the upper side of the metal rail.
Now I have no more problems. But I don't know if it is because I have changed my way of cleaning or if it is because some other different batchs. My former batch of track doesn't change: what was broken is broken, but no more broken coach colts...

We all use to clean our tracks. Many of us are using some solvents...Unsure
We also should avoid paint coating with solvents, may be....Water acrylic paints are probably more safe...

Edited by user 07 August 2010 15:46:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Purellum  
#44 Posted : 07 August 2010 14:59:01(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

In my previous post in this topic I gave some wrong information ( Now deleted ); but it was as I was told on the phone yesterday.

Today I talked to the boss of the shop, and he gave me this information:

Märklin does not do the free CS1 upgrade anymore.

Instead the offer me to buy a new CS2 for half price.

This means that I get a brand new CS2 with 2 years warranty for 2440,- Danish kroner ( 350,- EURO )
( + my old CS1, which they kept.)

Phew BigGrin Not so bad after all.

I wolud however have preferred a CS1, since I want to use Touchcab on an Iphone.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline mascagni  
#45 Posted : 10 August 2010 00:00:04(UTC)
mascagni

Back to the "Fragile C tracks" topic:

I have some radius 2 C-track that was made in 1997!?!?! Is it possible to swap out the old track for new? If so, how does one do it in the US?--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline H0  
#46 Posted : 10 August 2010 00:12:18(UTC)
H0

mascagni wrote:
Is it possible to swap out the old track for new?

AFAIK Märklin is no longer replacing old C track free of charge.

Handle them with care, use them as long as they last - and buy new tracks when they are FUBAR.

Or sell 'em on eBay and buy new ones - should still be cheaper then having Märklin swap 'em.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Blackburied  
#47 Posted : 30 December 2023 02:02:37(UTC)
Blackburied

United States   
> AFAIK Märklin is no longer replacing old C track free of charge.

I contacted them and I'd need to ship to Germany, they would inspect, and if found defective, would offer a 50% discount on new track.

... it's simpler to just keep using duct tape to keep the track stable :(

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Blackburied