Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline spitzenklasse  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2008 16:47:43(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Has anyone been? It is part of my dream vacation.
Another is Northlandes in New Jersey.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2008 17:41:48(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes in 2004, its very large but I was disappointed (perhaps my expectations were too high). Also did the behind the scenes tour.
reasons:
1) way too many accidents, burning buildings, bodies in rivers, emergency situations and things one does not see often. It reduced the illusion of reality - but I guess they have to entertain the masses. On the upside it taught me not to have any such scenes.
2) Trains run on tracks that never intersect with other active tracks
3) They went to the trouble of installing catenary but they run the locos with the pantographs down so one does not get the effect of them moving up and down.

The Faller car system is stunning. But there was no acceleration and deceleration.

Night lighting effects were good but perhaps too often (every 15 minutes or so)
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline spitzenklasse  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2008 18:14:52(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Oh we can see gore and guts on tv. Does the faller car system have the acceleration/deceleration capability/
Offline Gustavo Villa  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2008 18:19:39(UTC)
Gustavo Villa

Chile   
I have been there in 2005, absolutely wonderful layout. Just make sure you go during the week, on weekends there is to much people.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2008 18:19:59(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
No the Faller system seems to be binary - on or off. I don't know if they have added speed steps since 2004.
Dale
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 15 April 2008 19:36:19(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I have been to Wunderland.
It´s definatly a must. Try to be there early in the morning.
Highly recommended!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Weltenbummler  
#7 Posted : 15 April 2008 19:58:25(UTC)
Weltenbummler

Germany   
Been there in 2004, 2006 and 2007.

All three times as well on a tour behind the scenes. It is someting you will never forget. Going again this year, especially to see the ne part of the swiss alps.
Regard from Karachi
Thomas
Offline hmsfix  
#8 Posted : 15 April 2008 21:10:35(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi,

Had a very short visit there in 2006, and was deeply imppressed by the art of modelling! Concerning locos and trains my favourite layout theme was Scandinavia, and the great city and industrial scenes on the "Knuffingen" part.

Now I'm on my way to a business trip to Hamburg, and I hope I can spend Friday afternoon there and see what's new (my camera is ready for shooting)

Hans Martin
Offline ozzman  
#9 Posted : 15 April 2008 23:30:01(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
I saw it in June last year. It's an amazing sight, although I do have to agree with Dale's comments. Two further points: (1) the viewing spaces are not well designed - people tend to clump in corners and it can be difficult to see some parts (hence, get there early!); and (2) while I was waiting to get in general admission was suspended for 10 minutes to give priority admission to a coach party.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline DaleSchultz  
#10 Posted : 15 April 2008 23:33:49(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
if you have booked the behind the scenes tour you get priority admission
Dale
Offline spitzenklasse  
#11 Posted : 15 April 2008 23:54:14(UTC)
spitzenklasse

I hope they post some photos of the new alps area. Another dream trip of mine. I love how the bridges are stacked over the casms on the gotthard route throught between the tunnels. I'd like to build one on my layout. I don't have a clue how to plan, or execute that yet.
Offline Kenneth_H  
#12 Posted : 16 April 2008 00:39:02(UTC)
Kenneth_H

I went there on the 28 or 27th, of December 2008, and had the behind the scenes tour, very amazing.
Regards,
Kenneth
Offline DaleSchultz  
#13 Posted : 16 April 2008 02:44:30(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Kenneth_H
<br />I went there on the 28 or 27th, of December 2008, and had the behind the scenes tour, very amazing.

not only behind the scenes but in the future too !
Dale
Offline Jim Thompson  
#14 Posted : 16 April 2008 04:13:06(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Well,

I also want to see this. It is on my list.

Dale,

I agree that too many emergencies can overwhelm the senses! Maybe they bought too many fire engines from Wiking and Busch?

Re: Car System - here is a link (sorry, only German) but it uses infrared sensors:

http://www.modelleisenba...ragen/DC-CARtutorial.htm

It apparently has accel/decel/collision avoidance/selectable turn signal/much more, and tied to a PC for control. I think you have to lay your own wires in the roadway - maybe not Faller roadway compatible? Looks cool though Cool

I do not have an answer as to why they put the catenary up and then leave the pantos down? Maybe the decision was made early on to have catenary, and then the time crunch to open they realized they could not or should not run pantos up and it was downright inconvenient/impossible to then remove all the cat? I do not know...But still it is stunning!

(My favorite tense is the future pluperfect Smile)

Peace,

Jim

Offline viragoLDR  
#15 Posted : 16 April 2008 12:54:31(UTC)
viragoLDR

Went there late last year. It's quite a sight to see really. It was amazing to see it all, but I think they went a bit overboard and it just got too big ;)

The alps part is amazing though, definately my favorite. I took a few pictures, including of the alps part, which can be seen here: http://www.jr-chiisai.net/miwula.html
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline adrian  
#16 Posted : 16 April 2008 17:28:40(UTC)
adrian

I had been there one month ago. It is really amazing.
There are ended a lot of accidents and emergency situations, but this is mainly for kids, they are really absorbed by those scenes. Even not realistic, I think that those scenes help a lot in bringing the kids to this exhibition.
Here are some pictures with the Swiss section. I was surprised to see that they are using both AC and DC systems on the same layout.
If you have a chance to be in Hamburg, than this exhibition is a must (even in the weekend, the waiting time is about one hour)
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Adrian

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 13:55:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jim Thompson  
#17 Posted : 16 April 2008 17:52:36(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Great Pics!

I LOVE the soccer - Ooops [:I] fußball stadium! So many Preislings, so much fun! I wonder if there are hooligans at the game? biggrinCool

Peace,

Jim
Offline DaleSchultz  
#18 Posted : 16 April 2008 18:12:48(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I seem to recall that the soccer stadium is not 1:87. I liked the fact that they simulate the camera flashes from the fans.
Dale
Offline Jim Thompson  
#19 Posted : 16 April 2008 18:58:13(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Dale,

Preiser does have 1:120 TT scale figures - Forced perspective? It still looks huge, and camera flashes?! Smile World Cup! Weltmeisterschaft! Cool Sco-o-o-o-o-ore! Smile

Peace,

Jim
Offline hxmiesa  
#20 Posted : 16 April 2008 21:14:15(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Jim Thompson
World Cup! Weltmeisterschaft! Cool Sco-o-o-o-o-ore! Smile

Actually, I seem to remember that the stadium portraits a local match between HSV and St.Pauli ?! -with actual footage of the match shown on the mini-maxi screens, and actual soundtrack...
Best regards
Offline Jim Thompson  
#21 Posted : 16 April 2008 22:38:20(UTC)
Jim Thompson

OK! That is really cool too! [:p] Now, how do I do this on my little layout? (make my layout bigger biggrinCool LOL)

Jimbiggrin
Offline Kenneth_H  
#22 Posted : 17 April 2008 07:46:44(UTC)
Kenneth_H

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />I seem to recall that the soccer stadium is not 1:87. I liked the fact that they simulate the camera flashes from the fans.

It is not because, our tour guide said it would be too big. Also during the World
cup they changed the fans and players to represent who was playing in Hamburg.
Regards,
Kenneth
Offline spitzenklasse  
#23 Posted : 17 April 2008 14:25:28(UTC)
spitzenklasse

o it a bit smaller. I think the canopy is too imposing, or maybe it's the photo angle. I have an idea. A few less rows of figures, a slightly smaller field. The Heljan station canopy in HO could be bashed for the canopy.
I have the N-scale Walthers steel mill. It looks good, and is in the foreground to boot! Buildings that are so huge in real life look good in smaller scale on your layout. Ex; castles.
Offline hxmiesa  
#24 Posted : 17 April 2008 18:29:21(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
during the World

I beleive that!
One of the charms of this MiWuLa team is how dynamic they are! It would also explain why people have different memories from their visit.

Nobody has mentioned that the scandinavia-part of the layout is done with real water. I think it has some 30.000 litres? Many of the big ships are radio-controlled.

I understand that MiWuLa is the undsiputed #1 toruist attraction in Hamburg already for more than a year now!

It might be a bit overloaded for some, or lack certain details, but as a model-railroad show, and overall package it´s definatly... spitzenklasse! wink
Best regards
Offline rschaffr  
#25 Posted : 17 April 2008 18:47:15(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have been there twice and plan to go back, hopefully next year. As to being the #1 tourist attraction, I don't think it beats out the Reeperbahn, at least not yet. wink
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline hxmiesa  
#26 Posted : 17 April 2008 20:06:20(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />I have been there twice and plan to go back, hopefully next year. As to being the #1 tourist attraction, I don't think it beats out the Reeperbahn, at least not yet. wink

You might be right, but some people might be reluctant to put "Reeperbahn" as first choice in a survey... Depending on actual circumstances at the moment of questioning...
Best regards
Offline rschaffr  
#27 Posted : 17 April 2008 20:22:02(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Smile

The last time I was there, we spent out last night in the airport Marriot since we had two kids and a tom of luggage to shuttle to the airport in the morning (I prefer to stay in local hotels and inns).

I was down in the bar having a last beer and there were a group of quite inebriated Americans asking for directions to the Reeperbahen. There was trouble in the making!
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Tivvy  
#28 Posted : 21 April 2008 13:47:00(UTC)
Tivvy

Quote:
<br />Well,

I also want to see this. It is on my list.

Dale,

I agree that too many emergencies can overwhelm the senses! Maybe they bought too many fire engines from Wiking and Busch?

Re: Car System - here is a link (sorry, only German) but it uses infrared sensors:

http://www.modelleisenba...ragen/DC-CARtutorial.htm

It apparently has accel/decel/collision avoidance/selectable turn signal/much more, and tied to a PC for control. I think you have to lay your own wires in the roadway - maybe not Faller roadway compatible? Looks cool though Cool

I do not have an answer as to why they put the catenary up and then leave the pantos down? Maybe the decision was made early on to have catenary, and then the time crunch to open they realized they could not or should not run pantos up and it was downright inconvenient/impossible to then remove all the cat? I do not know...But still it is stunning!

(My favorite tense is the future pluperfect Smile)

Peace,

Jim

From the photos I have seen a lot of layouts do not continue the catenary beyond the portals leading to the storage yards - It would not supprise me if it had just become to risky to run the trains with pantos up in these areas with all the spaghetti everywhereconfused
Ep IV / V Marklin Layout
6 track dead end station, twin track loop, 4 track through station.
Under construction.
Offline Jim Thompson  
#29 Posted : 21 April 2008 17:33:44(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Caillin,

Thanks! It may be just that: a risk factor. And for me it is no big deal, I do not even really notice it. As I look at pictures of the layout, I am like a kid in a candy store [:p] - with sensory overload [:p] - and a sugar 'high' [:p].

Jim Smile
Offline Tivvy  
#30 Posted : 22 April 2008 10:40:31(UTC)
Tivvy

Quote:
<br />Caillin,

Thanks! It may be just that: a risk factor. And for me it is no big deal, I do not even really notice it. As I look at pictures of the layout, I am like a kid in a candy store [:p] - with sensory overload [:p] - and a sugar 'high' [:p].

Jim Smile

hey Jim,

Same - Its all sooooo beautifulbiggrinbiggrin

The other thought I had was than maybe the catenary is rigged higher than it should be at the start/end of inclines so that it isnt hit by say bilevel cars. If it is then it is possible that the locos might lose contact with the wire or have such a high angle that it is clearly visible to all and looks worse than pantos just not being up at all.[:I]
Ep IV / V Marklin Layout
6 track dead end station, twin track loop, 4 track through station.
Under construction.
Offline DTaylor91  
#31 Posted : 22 April 2008 13:55:39(UTC)
DTaylor91

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />I seem to recall that the soccer stadium is not 1:87. I liked the fact that they simulate the camera flashes from the fans.

It is not because, our tour guide said it would be too big. Also during the World

I can certainly believe the "too big" statement. I had a friend when I lived in North Carolina who was an expert at making VERY accurate models of local buildings, and he insisted on building them in exact 1:87 scale. He had done some of the more notable buildings in Salisbury and Spencer, NC, including most of the buildings located at Southern Railway's Spencer shops.

When he decided to retire, and "reorganize" his layout, he knew I was very interested (at the time) of building my own models of the SRR's servicing facilities there at Spencer, so he offered me his beautifully crafted model of the 37-stall roundhouse!

Sadly, I had to decline his generous offer. His model was not only beautiful, but accurately scaled to 1:87. The model measured just at one full meter across! [:0]
Offline hmsfix  
#32 Posted : 23 April 2008 00:59:35(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi friends,

Last friday I had the opportunity to visit the MiWuLa, and I had a quite extensive view on the different layouts.

I must say I was really impressed by the Swiss layout, which didn't exist two years ago when I visited the MiWuLa for the first time. It extends over two floors, and the 4 or 5 meters of level difference which the model trains have to pass looks absolutely terrific!

UserPostedImage

Even if you know the MiWuLa, it's worth to vistit it again. It seems they have at least four different railroad systems on the swiss layout: H0 2-rail and 3-rail, a narrow gauge H0e, and a cog wheel railroads for steep grades.

Also very interesting is the scene with the rock concert:

UserPostedImage

Eventually, the preisers shown here are scale 1:120, but I'm not shure.

Comparing the various layouts: USA, Scandinavia, Switzerland, one cannot deny a clear progress in quality.
Allthough I like the great details and scenes on, say, the USA layout, I must say that the my overall impression of those early layouts is not completely satisfactory - if you compare it to Scandinavia and Switzerland. Eventually that's a quite natural phenomenon.

Hans Martin

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 13:53:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jim Thompson  
#33 Posted : 23 April 2008 01:49:28(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Do they have Led Zeppelin or the Rolling Stones (or Ramstein?) piped in for the rock concert? That is rockin'!!Cool That is so-o-o-o-o many people!

Jim
Offline viragoLDR  
#34 Posted : 23 April 2008 12:47:03(UTC)
viragoLDR

The concert is DJ Bobo, some German dude ;)

The stage is actually built up like the stage of the real show, and DJ Bobo came in to open it himself. And while I don't like DJ Bobo, the concert scene is pretty impressive.

The new swiss alps part is by far the best at miniatur wunderland. If you're on the upper level looking down on everything, you really get a sense of being high up ;)
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline kurtjr  
#35 Posted : 27 April 2008 01:31:30(UTC)
kurtjr

Switzerland   
DJ Bobo is actually Swiss...He came to open it himself and the Swiss section i believe?
I don't like him either ;-)
The layout is really nicely done, reminds me of the gotthard model at the Swiss Transport Museum but much much bigger...
All SBB's, SNCF and US/CDN model's.
Offline mmervine  
#36 Posted : 27 April 2008 01:55:53(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
The Swiss section was under-construction when I last visited about 18 months ago. I hope to go again later this year and see the progress.

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline DaleSchultz  
#37 Posted : 27 April 2008 02:11:06(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
looks great !
Dale
Offline spitzenklasse  
#38 Posted : 27 April 2008 04:58:36(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Hi guy's, bored in my hotel after cleveland car show. Via wyfy. I didn't know they had two levels. That is Awesome! They have hundreds of staff there to run it. A crew just for the faller car system. So many computers. My dream job! I thought about securing a loan to build one here. There was a closed movie theatre I wanted to buy.
MJR theaters beat me to it, tore it down, and built a new one on the same land. Then came the recession.
The closest thing we have is the Chicago museum of science and industry layout. It is o scale, but they have an operating steel mill. The hot metal, and slag cars glow and dump, and coal goes up the skip loader to the blast furnace. But I must get to Hamburg!
Offline mmervine  
#39 Posted : 27 April 2008 05:19:26(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Our German office is in Hamburg and I usually get there about once each year. I consider myself lucky to have seen MiWuLa and Loxx (Berlin) multiple times.

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#40 Posted : 17 June 2008 19:33:21(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
After some years I've visited again the MW.
Would you seen my point of view of the layout? Smile
Some little Cool pics and video (all taken by a compact camera Canon ixus850) here:

http://www.marklinfan.net/mw_2008.htm

My favorites:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline kimballthurlow  
#41 Posted : 18 June 2008 03:47:00(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks for sharing Alberto.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Macfire  
#42 Posted : 18 June 2008 13:48:22(UTC)
Macfire

Ditto, cheers Alberto.
Some of the pics seem to indicate the 2 rail conversion is underway
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#43 Posted : 18 June 2008 14:09:23(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Macfire
<br />Ditto, cheers Alberto.
Some of the pics seem to indicate the 2 rail conversion is underway

It's just what I feared, but fortunately many tracks of the new sections have done by K-track.
Where the trains "must" go our system is still the better.
But, as we all known, the variety of models produced by Märklin, doesn't cover all the world. (Roco is more and more complete).
The same for the tracks, K track become from Jurassic era, and the C system has a limited range of tracks.
Could imagine if all the range of Peco tracks could be available with the third rail?
Smile
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline steventrain  
#44 Posted : 18 June 2008 19:57:08(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice posted pictures, Alberto.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline nevw  
#45 Posted : 19 June 2008 01:22:36(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Lovely Alberto. Would love to visit there one day.
N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline pa-pauls  
#46 Posted : 19 June 2008 02:08:16(UTC)
pa-pauls

Wery nice Alberto Smile

I must stop there next week for a visit [:p]
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Macfire  
#47 Posted : 19 June 2008 13:50:30(UTC)
Macfire

Alberto.

http://www.marklinfan.net/mw/mw046.jpg
The missing buffer - is this normal in day-to-day running?

What type of couplers are those?
Lord Macca
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#48 Posted : 19 June 2008 15:14:02(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Macfire
<br />Alberto.

http://www.marklinfan.net/mw/mw046.jpg
The missing buffer - is this normal in day-to-day running?

What type of couplers are those?

Tony, are you the nephew of Sherlock Holmes?
What a eyesight!
Looking also at the other pics the couplers seem Roco with a security ring to prevent uncoupling. But it's only an assumption.
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline Macfire  
#49 Posted : 19 June 2008 16:09:01(UTC)
Macfire

biggrin
Signed
S.H. Jnr
Lord Macca
Offline jooka  
#50 Posted : 21 June 2008 23:32:17(UTC)
jooka

wow. thanks for sharing these absolutely great photos and videos, alberto.