Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aaronwe  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2007 19:39:14(UTC)
aaronwe

Hi:
I just took out my 1970/80's marklin out of the closet. I purchased a digital starter set 29576.
I have a fair amount of m track solenoid turnouts that I control with the old style keyboards. Can I still use this turnouts with the keyboards on a digital track, and if so, do I need anything to supply power to the turnouts/keboards or anything else that I may be missing?
The same goes for the signals.
Thank you in advance for any help!
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 07 December 2007 20:24:37(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes turnouts and signals are operated with a k83 module.
No additional power supply is needed, but one can be used to conserve digital power.
If you buy the Viessmann modules they will be cheaper than the Märklin version and also has better specs and the ability to use non digital power for the accessory.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline aaronwe  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2007 20:40:05(UTC)
aaronwe

I am still getting my digital bearings, wouldn't that require a digital keyboard? I have the ones that you have 2 rows of 4 buttons.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />yes turnouts and signals are operated with a k83 module.
No additional power supply is needed, but one can be used to conserve digital power.
If you buy the Viessmann modules they will be cheaper than the Märklin version and also has better specs and the ability to use non digital power for the accessory.

Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2007 21:03:36(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
correct you will also need a keyboard or a computer interface
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline perz  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2007 21:08:29(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
It is possible to operate turnouts and accessories "the old way" while running the trains digitally.

If you use the old Metal track turnouts together with the later versions of digital (like in the 29576 set) you need a separate transformer to operate the turnouts.
Offline aaronwe  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2007 21:16:48(UTC)
aaronwe

I like that!
That way I do not need to go out to buy a bunck of k83's
Thank you!
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by perz
<br />It is possible to operate turnouts and accessories "the old way" while running the trains digitally.

If you use the old Metal track turnouts together with the later versions of digital (like in the 29576 set) you need a separate transformer to operate the turnouts.
Offline Maxi  
#7 Posted : 08 December 2007 17:26:59(UTC)
Maxi

If you are thinking of controlling the old turnouts with a decoder then you might want to look at viessmann where they present the identical K83 unit in ready made form nr. 5211 or kit form nr. 5291. I recall reading somewhere that the newer Marklin K83 units may not have the ability to power the older turnouts reliably due to the higher power demands from the solenoids. The newer Marklin K83 units are mostly surface mount parts. The viesmann units are most likely cheaper also.
Offline dntower85  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2008 00:24:21(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Maxi
<br />If you are thinking of controlling the old turnouts with a decoder then you might want to look at viessmann where they present the identical K83 unit in ready made form nr. 5211 or kit form nr. 5291. I recall reading somewhere that the newer Marklin K83 units may not have the ability to power the older turnouts reliably due to the higher power demands from the solenoids. The newer Marklin K83 units are mostly surface mount parts. The viesmann units are most likely cheaper also.

I have two of the older k83's with the bigger transistors, can they handle the power needed to activate an older semaphore signal and could I also power a new turnout on the same ports. I don't want to burn one out.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.