Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline biedmatt  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2013 14:16:34(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Not sure if this is old news, but I noticed the ESU Hamo permanent magnet #51965 is now available. Pretty dear at $38 compared to the others at $12, but it was much needed and appreciated.

Edited by user 16 July 2014 13:51:57(UTC)  | Reason: Changed title of thread to reflect the true nature of the thread

Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline biedmatt  
#2 Posted : 29 May 2013 04:11:35(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
To update this, when I posted this my dealer's website showed two in stock and I ordered them. A couple days later he e-mailed me explaining they were to be in his latest shipment, but were not. So they are not here yet, but their release is imminent.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 29 May 2013 06:45:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
They have been available. A friend of mine here in NZ got some to convert some of his 1 Gauge locos for digital running.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2013 02:33:32(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Ever since I got back into this hobby a year and a half ago, ESU has been talking about a permanent magnet for the SLFCMs used in the 3015 and it's derivatives. I finally grew weary of waiting and have decided to make my own.

So I bought some replacement field coils

UserPostedImage

Fabricated a jig to hold the pieces as the glue dried

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Cut a section out of the field coil for a magnet. The lathe makes the cut square to both halves of the field coil allowing maximum contact to both sides of the magnet. The two stacked cut off wheels matched to within a few thousands of an inch the width of my magnet.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Turned some aluminum sleeves on my lathe

UserPostedImage

Glued it together in the jig

UserPostedImage

Tested it in my spare 3015 motor

UserPostedImage

Then installed it into a 36159 and added the ESU decoder

UserPostedImage

It now runs much, much better than it did with the old Super 6080 decoder and field coil.
Two more to go. They will get sound too.

Edited by user 25 March 2015 13:18:43(UTC)  | Reason: Added picture

Matt
Era 3
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2013 06:22:50(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Excellent!
Good job...inspiring too!
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 21 August 2013 07:16:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I'm surprised the conservative collectors haven't knocked this excellent job back.
I do get emails from time to time, calling me a butcher and murderer when they see what I've done to my older locos e.g. TM 800 & RM 800 but there are 2 distinguished differences, they are not that rare, they are not worth a million and at least they get another chance to run on a digital layout.

The things you can do when you put your mind to it. congratulations.

John

Edited by user 21 August 2013 12:26:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Gregor  
#7 Posted : 21 August 2013 08:29:15(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Simply great !

Gregor
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 21 August 2013 13:31:20(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Thank you all for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

I am still impressed with how much better it runs. The jerky, stop-start, hickup laiden slow speed operation is gone. I know the load control in the ESU decoder makes a lot of difference, but I think the permanent magnet also plays an important roll. With an electro-magnet like a field coil, the power of the magnetic field is determined by the amount of current flowing through the field coil. At slow speed, this current is by necessity very low. Consequently, the magnetic field the armature has to operate against is very low. With a permanent magnet you have a constant powerful magnetic field for the armature to work against.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline biedmatt  
#9 Posted : 25 August 2013 12:34:56(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Info now included in post #4 above.

Edited by user 14 March 2015 14:13:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matt
Era 3
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 19 September 2013 10:40:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Hi, if anybody is interested by converting their Märklin loco (3015) to digital, here is a manfacturer who supplies the magnet and the coil

http://www.morep.ch/

regards.,

John
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 19 September 2013 11:53:15(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, if anybody is interested by converting their Märklin loco (3015) to digital, here is a manfacturer who supplies the magnet and the coil

regards.,

John

Excellent idea!
I can definitely adapt that idea to the (smaller) motor of one of my RE 800, something that has been puzzling me for a long time.
The good thing is that the conversion is *reversible* so when my heirs try to sell the thing after I'll be gone, they will have the option to restore the RE 800 to its original condition.
Thanks John, you made my day!
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 19 September 2013 12:05:05(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Jacques , have a good red to celebrate.

OGN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 19 September 2013 12:06:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

regards.,

John

Excellent idea!
I can definitely adapt that idea to the (smaller) motor of one of my RE 800, something that has been puzzling me for a long time.
The good thing is that the conversion is *reversible* so when my heirs try to sell the thing after I'll be gone, they will have the option to restore the RE 800 to its original condition.
Thanks John, you made my day!
Cheers

Jacques,

I was wondering why you haven't mentioned it as I was sure you would know this manufacturer.
secondly I thought some one must of mentioned before.

originally I came across the SBB Churchill and the modeller indicated when reading through his website he will reveal who made it. I than searched google and came up with the name MTR.ch.

John
Offline nevw  
#14 Posted : 19 September 2013 12:11:46(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

I am still impressed with how much better it runs. The jerky, stop-start, hickup laiden slow speed operation is gone. I know the load control in the ESU decoder makes a lot of difference, but I think the permanent magnet also plays an important roll. With an electro-magnet like a field coil, the power of the magnetic field is determined by the amount of current flowing through the field coil. At slow speed, this current is by necessity very low. Consequently, the magnetic field the armature has to operate against is very low. With a permanent magnet you have a constant powerful magnetic field for the armature to work against.

Well done Matt.

Nn
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around