Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2013 07:05:45(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Continuing on from David's report and videos on the recent club 'open day', I thought this a good opportunity to showcase the clubs exhibition layout as featured in Continental Modeller January 1994 (hard to believe it's 20 years old already).

(Dave's Topic link....) https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst26279_MMRC-Easter-Open-Day.aspx

The layout was originally constructed with M-track and had a major boost resulting from a very generous gift of quality items from the estate of a member who had passed away.

Since it was originally built the layout has undergone considerable updating including Digital control, conversion to C-track, addition of a number of new features such as the Brawa Funicular Cable-Car, Faller Car System and various improvements and enhancements, all the while maintaining the theme of the original design and intent of the layout.

It is still instantly recognisable from then to now and from the time it was first displayed has been a consistent crowd-puller at exhibitions.

The article was written by long-time member Keith Grove and submitted to Continental Modeller for consideration. Keith generously donated his article payment back to the club.

Enjoy.

Cookee
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
Bergtalbahn-cmjan94-p28.jpg
Bergtalbahn-cmjan94-p29.jpg
Bergtalbahn-cmjan94-p30.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2013 06:18:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Cookee, you learn something new every day. I never knew that Bergtalbahn had featured in Continental Modeller.

Edited by user 14 April 2013 01:55:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2013 00:27:40(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quiz time for any MMRCers (or NZ'ers familiar with BB) of the last 20 years.

Excluding the numerous changes since its first build, what (technical) bits of the "design" specifications mentioned by Keith in his article did not translate to the "as-builts"?
Peter
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2013 06:42:50(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Quiz time for any MMRCers (or NZ'ers familiar with BB) of the last 20 years.

Excluding the numerous changes since its first build, what (technical) bits of the "design" specifications mentioned by Keith in his article did not translate to the "as-builts"?

Sorry Peter, I'm not sure I understand your question. Confused

My best guess is you are asking what was originally conceived in the specs, but did not end up being built or operating as intended?

If this is the case, the only thing I can think of is the theoretical running of four trains/consists on each of the two main lines. I don't think this was reliably achievable after all with the end result being a maximum of three trains/consists for the two main lines?

If not that, then I'm stumped and I don't know if there are any other regular members here who know the layout well enough for an answer except perhaps Woody or BD (what say you John/Dave)?

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 14 April 2013 08:08:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
(what say you John/Dave)?

Before my time!