Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline diesel  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2010 01:51:17(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Hi all

We are trying to help track down where one can purchase the rotary control of the Ecos.
The part is made by soundwell and this is the part :

http://www.alibaba.com/p...otary_Potentiometer.html

Problem is they require a minimum of 1000 to order.

We have tried Conrads and Ecos Support do not reply.

All help would be appreciated.

Regards

Diesel
Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
Offline Marius in Africa  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2010 08:44:09(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Have you tried RS Components, maybe they have an equivalent.

Out of interest, what was ESU's responce, do they not offer the "loose part" as a spare? I have seen in the users manual for the ECOS2 that the replacement of the "Plug in module (throttle with motorised potentiometer and joystic)" is offered as a service from ESU.

Regards
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline diesel  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2010 09:36:25(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Hi Marius,

there is NO response from ESU !!! Waiting for 2 weeks now.

RS components does not have it .It is preferrable to have the exact one to maintain same solder connections etc.

Found the section in the Ecos2 manual. BigGrin The fact that this is available may indicate that this is not such an uncommon problem.

WE do not mind getting the whole module just to be safe and the Ecos2 and Ecos1 seem to have the same appearance except for the shape of the joystick and a the little sticker, BUT the board and connection may be different.

I will phone Ecos later today and try and get a direct answer via the hot line number in the Ecos 2 manual.

Thanks

Diesel

Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
Offline DasBert33  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2012 21:10:54(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hello everyone,

I am looking for the brand and model of this same potentiometer for ecos1. The link in the first post is sadly not valid anymore. Does anyone know what potentiometer I need to act as a replacement for my right controller knob?

Also some pointers of how to open up the ecos to exchange the potentiometer would be very much appreciated. I would like to avoid paying a fee for a replacement job, since it is something I should be able to do myself.

Thanks in advance,
Bert
Offline diesel  
#5 Posted : 11 November 2012 07:26:18(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Hi Bert,

Sorry that link is no longer working.

You may not have to replace the potentiometer.

The potentionmeter has a duplicate circuit built in just like the volume control for a stereo. Not sure of the exact technical jargon.

The Ecos only uses one circuit-row of eight pins the other connection ( ie row of eight pins) is directly above.

Only three pins are used and they are directly soldered onto the board.

I simply unsoldered these pins and then soldered three short wires to the same points on the circuit board BUT now to the same pins directly above the original row and it now works perfectly OK.

It is over two years since I did this and to access the potentiometer I remember simply unscrewing the 4 screws directly underneath the controller .
Once these screws are removed the conrol unit will simply lift out - it is connected to the main circuit board via wires and a multi pin plug.

The first time I did this my heart missed a few beats but all is OK with the unit just go slowly.

Good luck and take photos on the way so you can refer back to them.

One other point for future protection my ecos sits in a control box with raised sides so that I cannot accidently put pressure on the protruding part of the knob and I also try to use the left controller more often but being right handed one tends to use the right one.

Hope this helps you out and also other users.

Regards

Diesel
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by diesel
Offline DasBert33  
#6 Posted : 11 November 2012 09:50:14(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi Diesel,

Thanks, I will try this.

When it fails I can always send my ecos to ESU and pay for the replacement.

Bert
Offline DasBert33  
#7 Posted : 11 November 2012 16:14:15(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
I did the soldering change as described and the knob is better now, although the "speed jumping" has not entirely disappeared. This is not that surprising since that 2nd unused potentiometer contact has done the same amount of movements as the used contacts. Lets hope it lasts for 6 more years now.

BTW looking at the soundwell website, the component looks a lot like this one: http://en.soundwell.cn/n...it_isRefreshParent=false

Bert

Offline diesel  
#8 Posted : 12 November 2012 07:32:50(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Hi Bert

Good to hear you were able to follow my directions and that the problem is better - it would have been nice if it was totally resolved as mine did.

Thanks for including the soundwell website and that component is exactly what I came up with before on the previous "alibaba" website but the minimum purchase was 1000 units.

If you manage to find a source where you can purchase just one or two please let me know - hopefully my coloured Ecos does not develop the same problem.

Regards

Diesel