Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Frostie  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2010 21:02:00(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
I stood in line in the rain this morning, to purchase an iPad.

And I was not disappointed at all, this is one very slick device, I am typing like crazy using this device, it just flies!,,,

ThumbDown ThumpUp ThumpUp

It is wireless and has Bluetooth, so it is really neat.

This has the potential to be the perfect train control device, because it is extremely portable and useful

This is going to be the future,

Apples rule!!!
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline Amatøren  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2010 21:08:05(UTC)
Amatøren

I'm thinking about the same only on Nitendo DS Lite (WiFi). Only how to build a program for Nitendo DS Lite (WiFi) or on Windows on the new HP "PAD" when it will be launched.
Offline jeehring  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2010 13:52:13(UTC)
jeehring

As train modelers I think we are more advanced than the rest of the world : we already have PC class device with touch screen on which we can stock all the data we need + 2 physical control knobs : this is the CS 2 !
Now....it is not as flat and as thin as a pad... it's just a matter of appearance and "portability"(portable) ...The fact to be thin and portable is useful for daily life . As a train modeler we are stuck to our trains and our layout.

Which is the reason why , at first sight I'd appreciate an optionnal small pad as an accessory to complete a central unit...Just for driving and switching ...

But for running a whole layout - with programming loks , creating data banks, managing track plans, etc.... I need a device which is PC class in terms of speed or power, with physical throttle/control knob and that can be controlled with mouse and touch screen, etc.....which is in fact : a CS2 !
As train modelers we need compatibility with our former devices, electrical connections, not to throw away our old devices & old loks/decoders...we also constantly need electrical power....

Offline Frostie  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2010 18:35:01(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
The iPad is going to be the future.

This is the beginning of the end of the "pc" world. I can see this easily replacing pcs for many applications very soon !

You do not need a mouse, you have fingers and a touch pad screen.

All you need is the software and the interface to the track, and you will have the perfect train controller in a small convenient package.

I am working on the iPad that I bought yesterday. And it is fantastic !
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline dntower85  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2010 16:55:47(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
anyone tried Touchcab on the iPad. I think it should work even though it was written for the iphone and itouch.

http://www.touchcab.com/
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline jeehring  
#6 Posted : 05 April 2010 20:22:41(UTC)
jeehring

Have a look there(humour)
( scroll down untill about the middle of the page, I-pad-thetic vs water melon Laugh or Ipad vs Spanish tele sketch....) )

http://www.lrpresse.fr/t...ostorder=asc&start=0

...they could replace portable PC, probably not desk top PC...

Which is interesting for daily life is the flat format....actually first desktop PC with touch screen are available : one screen + keyboard & mouse (no more separate central unit), for working you have the choice between touch screen/keyboard/mouse : with CS2 we already have it. But CS2 is not to be used for daily life...

..... which kind of those flat pads will be really successful ? Those with phone or without phone, those with camera or without camera, etc...etc...smart phone , i-pads = same family...
Is there a future for all these devices or some of them only ? May be one day at home we will have several pads, as we have several books and a special storage unit for our electronic tablets, at this time they will be probably very cheap...;All home devices will have a user interface on an e-tablet....may be ?
An efficient & performing integrated voice recognition system surely will boost the sales...( because we don't need typing on keyboard anymore)...
an i-pad with voice recognition could be really interesting...

Edited by user 06 April 2010 00:40:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline dntower85  
#7 Posted : 06 April 2010 19:31:18(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Just played with an iPad, Very cool.Drool All the iPhone apps seem to run ok, there is just pixel doubling, so some iPhone apps do look a little blocky. touchCab should work on it even though I read in there notes that they were not supporting it.

I can see it replacing 70% of the computers out there, yeah it might not be powerful enough to to FEA annalist, Fluid dynamic calculations or render a couple of million polygons but that is a small market.

I would love to see marklin develop an app that would allow the CS2 to talk to it, even if it took an extra adapter that you have to connect to the CS2 system. How cool would that be to have an extra CS2 that you could walk around with.
DT
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline frankie  
#8 Posted : 07 April 2010 15:34:40(UTC)
frankie

Have you tried iRoc?
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2010 00:35:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Does the iPad have the connectors (USB/Firewire/etc) that would be necessary for such operation or does it come only with a proprietary connector like the iTouch and iPad?

Regards

Mike C
Offline GSRR  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2010 06:56:30(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
mike c wrote:
Does the iPad have the connectors (USB/Firewire/etc) that would be necessary for such operation or does it come only with a proprietary connector like the iTouch and iPad?

Regards

Mike C

Mike,

Think of it as a larger iPod Touch. No USB, or SD card. Just the WiFI for connection to a router for train control.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Input and output

* Dock connector port
* 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
* Built-in speaker
* Microphone
* Micro-SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)

They even went to the Micro SIM standard making regular SIM cards unusable.

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Whitiker  
#11 Posted : 03 May 2011 09:59:26(UTC)
Whitiker

Originally Posted by: dntower85 Go to Quoted Post
Just played with an iPad,ipad 2 cases Very cool.Drool All the iPhone apps seem to run ok, there is just pixel doubling, so some iPhone apps do look a little blocky. touchCab should work on it even though I read in there notes that they were not supporting it.

I can see it replacing 70% of the computers out there, Apple Accessories yeah it might not be powerful enough to to FEA annalist, Fluid dynamic calculations or render a couple of million polygons but that is a small market.

I would love to see marklin develop an app that would allow the leather ipad 2 casesCS2 to talk to it, even if it took an extra adapter that you have to connect to the CS2 system. How cool would that be to have an extra CS2 that you could walk around with.

Is there a future for all these devices or some of them only ? May be one day at home we will have several pads, as we have several books and a special storage unit for our electronic tablets, at this time they will be probably very cheap...;All home devices will have a user interface on an e-tablet....may be ?
An efficient & performing integrated voice recognition system surely will boost the sales...( because we don't need typing on keyboard anymore)...
an i-pad with voice recognition could be really interesting...
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 03 May 2011 12:55:34(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Frostie Go to Quoted Post
Apples rule!!!

Yawn! Sleep

It's OK, but not something I'd want to stake my life on.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 03 May 2011 13:02:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Just played with an iPad, Very cool.Drool All the iPhone apps seem to run ok, there is just pixel doubling, so some iPhone apps do look a little blocky. touchCab should work on it even though I read in there notes that they were not supporting it.

I can see it replacing 70% of the computers out there, yeah it might not be powerful enough to to FEA annalist, Fluid dynamic calculations or render a couple of million polygons but that is a small market.

I would love to see marklin develop an app that would allow the CS2 to talk to it, even if it took an extra adapter that you have to connect to the CS2 system. How cool would that be to have an extra CS2 that you could walk around with.

Darrin, Marklin have already released a remote control app for ithingies (i.e. ipod touch / iphone / ipad) which connects to a CS2 via a wireless router and works similar to touchcab.

BTW, touchcab does work with an ipad.
Offline dntower85  
#14 Posted : 03 May 2011 15:28:12(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Darrin, Marklin have already released a remote control app for ithingies (i.e. ipod touch / iphone / ipad) which connects to a CS2 via a wireless router and works similar to touchcab.

BTW, touchcab does work with an ipad.

Yeah I know, its amassing what can happen in a year or less I think I posted that just before the 2010 summer catalog came out with the app in itCool
DT
Offline Webmaster  
#15 Posted : 03 May 2011 18:13:51(UTC)
Webmaster

anyone tried Touchcab on the iPad. I think it should work even though it was written for the iphone and itouch.

http://www.touchcab.com/

Just tried it - works perfectly, see it as an iPod Touch for older people with impaired eyesight... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Actually very nice, but I prefer iPod Touch since it's small and smooth to operate with one hand...
Best of all - since I already had bought it for the iPod Touch, it synced onto the iPad too without any extra cost...

Kind of like that iTunes App store thing - buy it once and use it on your iPod/Pad/Phone devices. The licensing is really "software centered" not "device centered", you buy an app to use on your devices and not for a single device...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Mafi  
#16 Posted : 07 May 2011 21:01:48(UTC)
Mafi

Originally Posted by: Frostie Go to Quoted Post
The iPad is going to be the future.

Hello Frostie,
I think that this future will not last more than 10 years.
Quote:

This is the beginning of the end of the "pc" world. I can see this easily replacing pcs for many applications very soon !

No, because Apple does not allow to implement a compiler on this device. No access to the file system. No free exchange of files between Mac and iPad. And "cheap software" development is not intended by Apple. So it is not possible for me to port my freeware apps to the iPad. So at the moment I do not see ANY visual layout/switchboard controlling app on the iPad coming.
Quote:
You do not need a mouse, you have fingers and a touch pad screen.

The iPod touch is the better device because it is smaller. The iPad2 which I had tested cannot be hold with one hand and controlling a loco at the same time using Touchcab or the Märklin-app.
Quote:
All you need is the software and the interface to the track, and you will have the perfect train controller in a small convenient package.

Look at Apple's restriction to free developers.
Quote:
I am working on the iPad that I bought yesterday. And it is fantastic !

I had given mine back to the dealer after two days. The device is too disappointing.
I will stay on the big Macs and will keep on "free developing" for the model-railroad community without paying fees to Apple.

JM2C
Mafi
Don't be too proud of the new high tech terror you just have invented! (Darth Vader, Episode IV)
Offline Webmaster  
#17 Posted : 07 May 2011 21:38:58(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: Mafi Go to Quoted Post
I had given mine back to the dealer after two days. The device is too disappointing.

It all depends on your expectations... My expectation was to have a "universal" device that could replace a laptop for most of "casual" things like checking the forum, read news sites, read work & personal mails, F1 live timing, compose music, read books/manuals/catalogs, remote control of my Windows computers, simple photography/movie making, Skype with friends, watch TV streams/YouTube movies and so on - and I must say it fulfills my expectations as a replacement for a laptop computer to do "online" tasks on the move wherever you are.

It's not a full-blown computer, but a very handy gadget I would not want to be without after only having it for about a week...
For a Windows guy like me, it's finally a relief to have a gadget that "just works" for many common tasks with no big issues... Razz

And it does work great as a remote control to my CS1 with TouchCab, even if I prefer the iPod touch for that... Wink
Will have to get a CS2 to use the official M control app... Unsure
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Webmaster  
#18 Posted : 07 May 2011 21:47:36(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post

Can tell you that I got the WiFi only model, since I have 3G in the mobile phone and can set the phone up as a WiFi Access Point/3G router...
Since my phone 3G data traffic is flatrate, no need to waste money on a separate phone card for the Paddy...

Most phone companies exchange SIM card formats for free, at least here - but if you plan to swap the card between phone/iPad all the time it could be a problem, of course...
Offline GSRR  
#19 Posted : 07 May 2011 22:42:42(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

Can tell you that I got the WiFi only model, since I have 3G in the mobile phone and can set the phone up as a WiFi Access Point/3G router...
Since my phone 3G data traffic is flatrate, no need to waste money on a separate phone card for the Paddy...

Most phone companies exchange SIM card formats for free, at least here - but if you plan to swap the card between phone/iPad all the time it could be a problem, of course...

If you are interested in buying the iPad 2, keep in mind that only the 3G model has the GPS. Apple is very quiet about this, no GPS with wi-Fi only version.

As to the Micro SIM format. Here in the US you can get a no contract Micro SIM card from AT&T or Verizon. Price is roughly $25 for 2GB download per month. Cancel anytime. There is no roaming plan outside of the US for the iPad 2 3G. Leave the US and start downloading, you could purchase a new car with what it will cost you.

Did a cursory check in Germany and could not get the iPad 2 3G Micro Sim card without a contract. No pay as you go.
ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Webmaster  
#20 Posted : 07 May 2011 22:51:31(UTC)
Webmaster

If you are interested in buying the iPad 2, keep in mine that only the 3G model has the GPS. Apple is very quiet about this, no GPS with wi-Fi only version.

Have GPS in the car, no worries here... Considered that before buying the WiFi only iPad 2 too... Good advice for new buyers though...
The GPS sensor in my phone works as location input to the iPad, but the all-in-one is recommended if you have are going to use an iPad seriously as a GPS unit too.

The original question was about using it as a control device, and the answer is yes - with TouchCab for CS1, ECos and also some DCC systems and with Märklin's own app for the CS2.
Offline mmervine  
#21 Posted : 08 May 2011 01:09:20(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
I am curerently testing out a Motorola Xoom. It is a nice tablet, but the Honeycomb software has a ways to go. Missing key native features such as printing and file management. Also, it is over-priced compared to the Acer and Asus tablets that have just been released.

I would think, however, that something like Touch cab should be put together for the Android market. There are many Android phones and tablets out there!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline kbvrod  
#22 Posted : 08 May 2011 01:17:42(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
For a M friend:
Quote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know how the iPhone or iPad connects to a CS2 using the Märklin app?
Will it eat up my cell phone minutes for as long as I control the layout with it? That could get expensive ;-)
If so, how is the connection to the CS2 made - via an internet connection, a phone land line or thru cell towers (which
means more charges)?
Or is there a mechanism in place where the CS2 and iPhone can talk to each other directly?

Dr D
Offline Webmaster  
#23 Posted : 08 May 2011 18:21:27(UTC)
Webmaster

You can to connect the CS2 and iPad to your "Home network"... The CS via ethernet cable, and iThingy via wireless networking.

So you need to get a "wireless router" to make the connection, if you don't have one already for your Internet connection at home.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Webmaster  
#24 Posted : 09 May 2011 20:27:15(UTC)
Webmaster

You will have to have the latest CS2 sw, to be able to configure it for the Mobile Station App.