Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2010 17:04:10(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
is benzine a safe option to remove oil and gunk from m track and/or coach wheels? I do have a Peco abrasive rubber rail cleaner/eraser, but will this take off the oil?
I was advised to use labelle 108 oil on my coach wheels and locos, seems to be fine - nice easy to use needle dropper, avoids over oiling!
thanx Juhan and all of you for such a great forum, I'm always overwhelmed at the depth of knowledge from around the world
happy chuffing, Joe, Cape Town, 2010 world cup!
Offline grnwtrs  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2010 02:53:58(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Joe Meiring wrote:
is benzine a safe option to remove oil and gunk from m track and/or coach wheels? I do have a Peco abrasive rubber rail cleaner/eraser, but will this take off the oil?
I was advised to use labelle 108 oil on my coach wheels and locos, seems to be fine - nice

Hi Joe:

This subject comes up time to time, and the answer is as elusive as ever. Probably
more answer's given than questions. With that in mind. Here is what I do on test track and small layouts. Alcohol swab nothing more abrasive. Try to find the 100% stuff in the pharmacy, you will have to ask. This tip was passed on in another list by a Kiwi member. It has done well by me ever since.

Less is always than more. That Peco abrasive pad will take off the coating on MTrack causing is to rust MORE. For intensive spot rust removal it is probably okay.

Lately I have used "GOO GONE" Available here in the States, which seem to have a lighter fluid properties. Takes off the rust, but leaves a oily substance. I don't like for the other cars to pick up the crud so I will be back where I started. For this problem, I don't use goo gone of the track, instead I use the Alcohol soaks on a couple of 'CENTERLINE CLEANING CARS'. One car has the alcohol on it the following car is dry and pickup us the crud.

For dry debris, use the Krauss vacuum car. I use to old one 8810? and it seems to work for me.Drool
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2010 12:16:35(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
thanx for that Gene, I am setting out to buy extra alcohol right now. I had a small amount in the house, and it works a treat.
Joe
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2010 21:01:42(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I made some cleaning block fro pine. SA pine will work just as well... See http://crud-b-gone.mixmox.com/
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline walters48  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2010 05:28:32(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Joe Meiring wrote:
I was advised to use labelle 108 oil on my coach wheels and locos, seems to be fine - nice easy to use needle dropper, avoids over oiling!
thanx Juhan and all of you for such a great forum, I'm always overwhelmed at the depth of knowledge from around the world

Hello Joe,
I pretty sure, according to the USA Environmental Protection Agency(USEPA), benzine/benzene is a known human carcinogen; i.e.,a substance which causes cancer through exposure by inhalation, ingestion and skin absorption. Benzene too, like other organic solvents, is toxic to many human organs like the liver and brain. My personal opinion is to avoid it completely and use lighter fluid, WD40, Goo Gone, or Wahls Hair Clipper Oil carefully w/ good ventilation and latex gloves. Exposure prevention is the name of the game here, because there is no such thing as a "good" exposure to any of these chemicals.
Regards,
Chas
Offline sudibarba  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2010 06:40:49(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I use acetone on a tightly woven rag. I just wipe the rails trying to avoid the pukos as much as possible. They get some cleaning regardless of my efforts not to get hung up. Never seen any ill affect on M Track. Lighter fluid is always a great degreaser. Clean all my engines with it.
Eric
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2010 23:44:04(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanx so much Chas and Eric - i have wd40, and lighter fuel in the house, never thought of using it tho...; about the benzine, better it goes outside, like, fast!!
thanx again, its always such a pleasure logging in and receiving such great expert advice...
Joe, from a WET, WINDY, WINTERY Cape Town
Offline Armando  
#8 Posted : 14 May 2010 02:41:38(UTC)
Armando

United States   
TRIX carries a track cleaning fluid that should be ok for C-track.

The Märklin customer service recommended once to me that I use the smoke generator fluid to clean the track.

Some dealers swear by lighter fluid or Goo-Gone, but I'm afraid that this may remove the protective coating on the C-track rails.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Tex  
#9 Posted : 01 June 2010 19:16:17(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Joe Meiring wrote:

I have found that denatured alcohol does a goog job with gunk removal and it is safer than benzine. Benzine is difficult to leagaly dispose of. As far as track cleaning I use a " Pink Pearl " soft rubber eraser to smooth the track. After this, I polish the track with Flitz metal polish and clean up with alcohol using a clean rag.

Tex
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#10 Posted : 01 June 2010 21:42:28(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
thanx Tex, I also find the eraser works a treat - i like the metal polish idea, haven't tried it yet. My biggest problem with my older M track is rust; we live at the coast, right next to the sea, and I can hear the track rusting at nite!! maybe the metal polish will help.
thanx, Joe
Offline hxmiesa  
#11 Posted : 03 June 2010 14:51:50(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Whatever you do, never use abrasive methods, as they will make the surface even more receptive to dirt in the future.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline husson73  
#12 Posted : 03 June 2010 16:12:02(UTC)
husson73

hxmiesa wrote:
Whatever you do, never use abrasive methods, as they will make the surface even more receptive to dirt in the future.
+1 and you usualy don't need to do this.
My old layout which wasn't in use during 15 years worked against easily after a few laps of a crocodile 3015 (heavy lok), just need sometimes pushing the lok by hand and after a few laps every track was perfect.
3 rails HO OO O I, DC and AC, analogic and digital.