Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline epierre  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2010 13:00:10(UTC)
epierre

Hi all,

We are actively discussing in France about end off problems in digital while those in analogic don't seem to have this one.

It appears that V5211, k83 or turnout integrated decoders send DC current to the turnout, and may cause this. But if there is s88 detection added on the turnout, this does not appear.

We are searching for people that have problem, and those that don't.

Could you describe:

- your digital equipment (CS, MS, keyboard...) if digital
- your transformer and booster (if any)
- your turnout command if digital
- your turnout equipments (74490...)
- and if you have some problems with the end offs and/or if you removed them.

thanks a lot,
Offline supermoee  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2010 13:46:01(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

this discussion exists even in german forum.

The end switchs seem to be very sensitive to DC coming from decoder (inductive switch current)

They tested: a turnout motor which was not working in digital anymore, was tested in AC and it worked fine again.

I have absolutely no problem with my 15 years old 7549 K switch motors.

They run digital on 5211 decoder and separate power feeding through 5214 Powermodule (DC)

I eliminated the end switches long time ago.

kind regards

Stephan
Offline rrf  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2010 15:00:01(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by an "End Switch"?

This year, I plan to start the conversion from analog to digital control of my turnouts and signals. So understanding this discussion seems like it might be quite important Smile

Thanks,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline Caplin  
#4 Posted : 09 February 2010 16:42:43(UTC)
Caplin

I expect that it is the two switches that cut the power from the coils when the piston is reaching the end positions. If either switch fails the current will continue to flow if not controlled by a short pulse and finally burn its corresponding coil.
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline epierre  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2010 13:44:31(UTC)
epierre

Caplin wrote:
I expect that it is the two switches that cut the power from the coils when the piston is reaching the end positions. If either switch fails the current will continue to flow if not controlled by a short pulse and finally burn its corresponding coil.

exactly, and the end switches are necessary to avoid having continuous tension making the motors heat up and get defunct.

Also they are necessary if you intend to do feedback in digital on the switch position. So knowing if a second hand mechanical turnout has end switches is vital if you intend to use s88 on them.

Emmanuel
Offline epierre  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2010 13:51:37(UTC)
epierre

Hello Supermoee,

supermoee wrote:

this discussion exists even in german forum.
The end switchs seem to be very sensitive to DC coming from decoder (inductive switch current)
They tested: a turnout motor which was not working in digital anymore, was tested in AC and it worked fine again.

Yes, this is what we saw too, (though I don't speak german...).

supermoee wrote:

I have absolutely no problem with my 15 years old 7549 K switch motors.

They run digital on 5211 decoder and separate power feeding through 5214 Powermodule (DC)

I eliminated the end switches long time ago.

The V5211 makes DC current as the marklin one, it seems only LDT does provide AC to the turnouts.

Emmanuel
Offline jeehring  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2010 17:16:36(UTC)
jeehring

It sounds strange for me.
My suggestion : it's ALSO a matter of power and/or booster, or power distribution, or....(I don't notice any problem with normal use of C-track turnout motors with K83)
Another suggestion: how is installed the turnout-motor, we have to make sure there is no kind of mechanical pressure on it...(?)
My K83 are something like 10 years old. Most of my turnouts motors too.
(What about "track-bed decoders" ?)
Offline efel  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2010 00:24:48(UTC)
efel

France   
Caplin wrote:
.... If either switch fails the current will continue to flow if not controlled by a short pulse and finally burn its corresponding coil.

In fact, that might be a problem, but the very most current encountered problem is the opposite: the current can't flow through the switch for there is a small insulation layer on the copper contact of the micro switch. That insulation layer is due to the sparks that appear each time the switch opens, and due to the inductive load.

Seems there are only 2 good solutions:
- short the microswitches
- connect a transil or 2 series zeners in parallel to each microswitch (if used in AC), or a diode (if used with k83;

Using a capacitor in parallel to the switch lowers the sparks, but do not eliminate them. So the problem will appear again later ...

Of course an other solution is to use an other brandt. Viessmann is just releasing its turnout motor, but it's too early to get an idea of its reliability.

Seems also that some people have not yet got the trouble. Probably beter switch quality.

There are other threads on this forum on the same subject.

Fred

Offline jeehring  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2010 03:55:01(UTC)
jeehring

efel wrote:
Caplin wrote:
.... If either switch fails the current will continue to flow if not controlled by a short pulse and finally burn its corresponding coil.

...(...)....

Fred

No.( I would like to see it...)
Foutaises ! (crap)
K83 decoders were produced since early 1992
C tack turnouts motors have been produced for 12 years(1998).
I have never heard nothing about it.
After 12 years I find it so strange that the same topics were opened on German Forum & French Forum at the same time....making the buzz just at the moment of the delivery of new Viessman turnout motors....LOL
Offline supermoee  
#10 Posted : 12 February 2010 11:25:03(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
jeehring wrote:

After 12 years I find it so strange that the same topics were opened on German Forum & French Forum at the same time....making the buzz just at the moment of the delivery of new Viessman turnout motors....LOL

Hello Jeehring

I bought k83 decoder earlier than 1992, Märklin digital came out 1985.

The C track came out on 1996

discussion about the poor quality of Märklin turn out motors are existing in forums since public forums are existing on the internet. The 7549 moto for K track in the 80's had a lot of problems, the new version of 2000 has the same problems.
For the C-track motor the poor quality of the first series is well known that's the reason why Märklin made an improved version some years later, but still not working properly in all condition

The fact that you never heard about these problems does not mean that these problems are not existing. You just have to listen to BigGrin

Just type in Goolge Märklin 7549 / 74490 problem (or defekt (german)). You will wonder how much hits you will find on this topic

The best Märklin turnout motors are the one of the M track switches and the old K track switches with large, fix assembled motors. These work even after 30 years.

rgds

Stephan
Offline epierre  
#11 Posted : 12 February 2010 11:29:24(UTC)
epierre

jeehring wrote:

Foutaises ! (crap)

Tabernacle ! Billevesées (soft crap !)

Well so many people have this problem on already built systems. Only oldtimers without digital do not report problems or those that removed end switches.

The new Viessmann has no history and would not be a good candidate now... maybe in 2 or 3 years, so it is not the issue now...

Emmanuel
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 12 February 2010 12:21:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have 11 installed C track turnout solenoids, and about half of them give me problems as described. That is, the end contact switch goes open circuit and the motor does not get any current. My track is bedded in to the ballast, so it is impossible for me to change or adjust these motors, which leaves me a huge problem.

I have one solution that works, but it requires the manual lever to have been left in place. Dribble a bit of Marklin oil down the mechanism from above and operate it repeatedly a few times. After a few minutes the "dodgy" solenoid comes back to life and continues working for a few weeks.

In the future if I mount turnout motors under the trackbed I will cut access holes in the baseboard to be able to replace or service the motors from beneath.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline jeehring  
#13 Posted : 12 February 2010 13:55:53(UTC)
jeehring

supermoee wrote:
jeehring wrote:

Hello Jeehring

...(...)...The fact that you never heard about these problems does not mean that these problems are not existing....(...)...

rgds

Stephan

Of course (statement of the obvious)!!!
...but I still have the right to say that I never heard about this problem, before.

And from my proper experience : no problem with K83 + C track turnouts motors.
I kew there were problems with first generation of K tracks turnouts motors.

So....the reason why some people have problems and other people don't have those problems should be more interesting to understand.
We all have different installation.
at first sight, the origin of problem looks to be more "mechanical" than "electrical".....(it's only an opinion. Not an experience)
I always have noticed that C track turnouts motors + turnouts mechanics must be treated carefully .
C track solenoÏds must be handled carefully as well. Avoid any kind of "pressure" on the body. Not screwing it too tight on track bed, etc...etc...
Offline efel  
#14 Posted : 12 February 2010 15:39:40(UTC)
efel

France   
jeehring wrote:
efel wrote:
Caplin wrote:

...(...)....

Fred

No.( I would like to see it...)

If you'd like to see threads posted on the forum, you just have to make a "search".
To do so:
-click on"login"
-click on "search"
-fill up the forms.

If you don't success, just ask Juhan or other member of this forum that will explain better than me.

jeehring wrote:

but I still have the right to say that I never heard about this problem, before.

Of course you have the right to say anything,
jeehring wrote:

Foutaises ! (crap)

except to be insulting to other members that reported their problem.

You have also the right to say

jeehring wrote:

at first sight, the origin of problem looks to be more "mechanical" than "electrical".....(it's only an opinion. Not an experience)

but reports show clearly that it's mainly an electrical problem.

So you may have an opinion, but if I were you, i'd try not to be ridiculous.

But no problem: you are in your right!

Fred

Offline amartinezv  
#15 Posted : 12 February 2010 17:01:00(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hi all

<<Could you describe:

- your digital equipment (CS, MS, keyboard...) if digital<<

IntelliBox + one booster hand made, like a marklin 6017

Several trafos, 70VA to the IB; 50 VA to the booster; and then several trafos (32 VA)to supply power to lights and turnouts

I have the LDT compatible k83, and the marklin k83, most of the problems come from this. I have about 16 turnouts in my layout

<<- your turnout equipments (74490...)<<

I have K and C turnouts with the usual motors, no lamps, no under layout kits

<<- and if you have some problems with the end offs and/or if you removed them.<<

Yes I have problems, with K and C turnouts and I have removed the end switches

Best regards to all
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline Caplin  
#16 Posted : 12 February 2010 19:15:03(UTC)
Caplin

amartinezv wrote:
- your digital equipment (CS, MS, keyboard...) if digital<<

IntelliBox + one booster hand made, like a marklin 6017

<<- and if you have some problems with the end offs and/or if you removed them.<<

At last back to the original question, Well done, Antonio.Smile
You removed the end switches, that would mean that the turnout solenoids are activated by a pulse, do you happen to know the length of the pulse?
Is the pulse length settable to different lengths?
Have your turnouts behaved flawless since the removal?
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline pa-pauls  
#17 Posted : 12 February 2010 19:20:35(UTC)
pa-pauls

Sorry but I really don't see the problem Blushing

Why are you removing switches, I presume you are talking about the micro
switches inside the C-Track turnout motor, what "trouble" are they supposed to make ?

I have had C-track turnouts with motor and I use K-83 and have never had any problem's with any of them...

Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 12 February 2010 21:02:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
pa-pauls wrote:
Sorry but I really don't see the problem Blushing

switches inside the C-Track turnout motor, what "trouble" are they supposed to make ?

I have had C-track turnouts with motor and I use K-83 and have never had any problem's with any of them...

I'm glad that some people don't have any problems. As I said above, about half of my motors have end switches that only work intermittently. Others have had the same problem. It's a known problem.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline David Dewar  
#19 Posted : 12 February 2010 23:20:52(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Maybe a bad batch of motors? I know it is most annoying for those who have problems but over the years i have only had one faulty motor and the 26 I have at present have all worked for at least four years now.
I dont use K83s but the under C track decoders. Could this make a difference.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline clapcott  
#20 Posted : 12 February 2010 23:40:32(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
pa-pauls wrote:

I think that is exactly what this thread is trying to canvas..

From my own experience there are a couple of possible issues. All of which I have encountered to one degree or another.

- micro switch not working
- - internal (only once and may have been caused by an external short causing arcing)
- - physical - mounted on circuit board to far away from actuator (switch had guide pins for the board but appeared malformed - ? bad batch)
- Casing aperture for armature poorly formed (again bad batch ?)
- - cause drag and poor throw of switch
- - in combination with the switch cutting out too soon actuator does not get to the end
- Similar to above, the armature itself was bent or swollen (melted?)
- Too much power to motor
- - causing bounce back
- - in combination with the switch cutting out too soon means the armature is NOT Redriven to the end.

So in general , while there is good logic in cutting power when the armature is thrown, there are a number of real world vagrancies that come to the fore that might have otherwise gone under the radar because of the little bit of extra/concerted grunt. If the drag or bounce back is only minor and consistent then bypassing the switch (in pulsed digital) may be OK. However it does remove one line of defense should there be a real issue upstream.
One example from personal experience is PC programing and forgetting to issue the "off" command which was sometimes needed explicitly (200ms) after an "on" command.

Usually the items become reliable enough after some fiddling which could be
- tweaking the position of the switch
- filing the aperture and/or armature to prevent dray, or sometimes removing the manual lever is enough
- inserting drag/resistance (ensuring lever is in place).
- reducing power (this is what the resisters that come with a k83 are for)
- reducing pulse width as defined in the Central station/PC.
Products appear to have become more reliable but I concur that in the early days one was just inclined to "cut to the chase" and bypass the switch

And this was exacerbated by the inaccessibility of the motors (under the C-Track roadbed). from which we learned that cutting an access hole under the baseboard was a very prudent measure.

I can only presume that the inclusion of the switch(es) is because the newer motors were not designed like those of M-Track to allow for 100% duty, with the possibility of a Loco pickup/shoe to stop on top of the contact switch for an extended period of time. In digital operation there should (!?!?) be no such issue as the motor is only pulsed.

A separate issue but relates to the burnout scenario.
- the centre rail comes in contact with the metal housing AND the internal components (coil,circuit board etc) are also shorted to the metal housing
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#21 Posted : 13 February 2010 00:00:00(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
dup
Peter
Offline jeehring  
#22 Posted : 13 February 2010 06:13:03(UTC)
jeehring

Caplin wrote:
amartinezv wrote:
- .<<

At last back to the original question, Well done, Antonio.Smile
...(...)....]?[/size]

you don't like frog fight Angry Scared ???

With these shady goings-on , Little Casanova is probably trying to confuse the reader....Cursing
He can't accept the fact that he's not so young any more...may be ?RollEyes Crying

Offline jeehring  
#23 Posted : 13 February 2010 06:27:42(UTC)
jeehring

efel
jeehring wrote:

Foutaises ! (crap)
[/quote wrote:

except to be insulting to other members that reported their problem.

You have also the right to say

jeehring wrote:

but reports show clearly that it's mainly an electrical problem.

(BLA BLA BLA....)

Fred

Dear little rooster: Flapper

1/Foutaise is absolutely not an insult. You know about that. (You're acting like a Diva). I have to admit I have answered in an abrupt manner: sorry.
2/electrical problems may come from mechnical issue, sometimes.( I wrote : the origin of problems...)
Stay quiet now, please.

Edited by user 14 February 2010 02:54:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline epierre  
#24 Posted : 15 February 2010 11:31:16(UTC)
epierre

Hello,

amartinezv wrote:
Hi all

I have the LDT compatible k83, and the marklin k83, most of the problems come from this. I have about 16 turnouts in my layout

<<- your turnout equipments (74490...)<<

I have K and C turnouts with the usual motors, no lamps, no under layout kits

Hello,

Did you have troubles befoire removing end switches ? Were they with both LDT and k83 (if you remember it?)?

Have you had s88 turnout feedback positionning ?

Thanks,

emmanuel