Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2010 12:51:58(UTC)
H0

Hi!

While my layout was powered by transformers, I noticed that my ICE 3 (Märklin 37781) slowed down when I switched the interior lights on.
With CS1 Reloaded (powered by a stabilized power supply) I no longer noticed a slowdown.

Please note: it's a feature of the 6090x decoder that it adjusts its speed proportionally to the track voltage. This is a feature that can be used to make slow speed sections simply by reducing booster voltage at those tracks.
However this feature is no longer supported with the new programmable decoders.

I adjusted the CS1 power supply so that CS1 indicates 19 volts on the track.

Test configuration: I had two trains with interior lights on the track: ICE 3 (37781 plus 3 extension cars, 8 cars total) and train set 25611.
I used the CS1 to measure the track voltage.
I used my laptop (and the freeware PaTacho) to measure the speed of the ICE 3.
I used the power supply that came with CS1 Reloaded and a M* transformer 60052 (60 VA).

Test 1 - standing trains:
Power supply: 19 V with lights off, 18.7 V with ICE lights on, 18.7 V with all lights on.
Transformer: 21.7 V with lights off, 19.2 V with ICE lights on, 18.7 V with all lights on.

Test 2 - ICE running:
Power supply: 231 km/h, 18.9 V without lights, 218 km/h, 18.7 V with lights
Transformer: 257 km/h, 20.2 V without lights, 219 km/h, 18.5 V with lights

Test 3 - both trains running with full light:
Power supply: 218 km/h, 18.6 V
Transformer: 211 km/h, 17.9 V

Conclusion:
Using the power supply, the ICE slows down a little bit (less than 6 %) - I didn't notice the slowdown without speedometer.
With a transformer I noticed the slowdown (almost 18 %).

I didn't pay intention to the intensity of lights.

Booster output with both trains running was about 1.7 A.
CS1 2.0.x has a booster limit of 2.8 A. I wonder how far the track voltage will drop if one takes a transformer to that limit.
Rumours say that you can get a combined booster output of 3.4 A from a CS2. I'd like to see the track voltage at that booster load, too.

BTW: I use a switch-mode power supply for my MS1, too. Haven't made any tests yet, but it sure saves a lot weight when taking a layout to meetings.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline klarinettmeister  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2010 13:49:23(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Interesting Tom!

This will propably be the reason I'll upgrade my CS.
BTW... did you just use 37781 (5 cars)? It would be intersting to see what happens to a complete ICE-train with 8 cars. I can´t use my complete 37780 with my 5 extra cars very good.It looks like it drops 30% of it´s topspeed when turning on the lights with the CS (not reloaded).
If you also have CZ running and a few lighted cars you´ll exceed 2,8 A and the CS cuts the power.

Using CS and a 52 VA transformer 6002.

/David
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2010 15:41:30(UTC)
H0

Hi, David,
I should have mentioned that my ICE 3 has 8 cars.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline klarinettmeister  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2010 01:05:36(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
H0 wrote:
Hi, David,
I should have mentioned that my ICE 3 has 8 cars.

Thanks Tom! Then I know what I´m gonna do with my CS1 BigGrin
Offline GSRR  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2011 01:01:27(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Tom,

What is the actual stabilized power supply you use with your CS1? Marklin, ESU?

r/Thomas
ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 15 March 2011 10:17:08(UTC)
H0

Hi, Thomas,

I use the power supply that came with CS1 reloaded: 90 VA, wide range input voltage, adjustable output voltage, ...

Except for the output voltage (and input voltage) it shouldn't make a difference which switching mode power supply you use.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline GSRR  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2011 18:28:55(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Thomas,

I use the power supply that came with CS1 reloaded: 90 VA, wide range input voltage, adjustable output voltage, ...

Except for the output voltage (and input voltage) it shouldn't make a difference which switching mode power supply you use.

Thanks Tom.

I went back to the manuals for the BW ECoS and the color ECoS, specifically page 10 and 11.

I have the 50000 BW and the manual states you can swap the fixed 18V version for a 15V version for N scale, and I see with your 50200 color model the supply was changed with a variable setting on the power supply itself.

Curiously I have a power supply with a small pinhole on the side of the power supply. With this you can choose either 18V or 15V. My ECoS indicates 17V when turned on.

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 22 March 2011 18:44:20(UTC)
Goofy

This new kind form of power supply makes even more safety,by feeding power to digital system so tracks don´t need to have suppressor tions.
With AC trafo it happens sometimes you will get some suppressor tions,which disturb trains on the tracks.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control