Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GSRR  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2010 21:27:00(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Just a general query as to how many people may be thinking of going to The Big E train show? The ETE-ENE chapter will be sponsoring Euro East 2010 at the show.

Regards,

Thomas

http://www.ete-ene.org/

http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/abouttheshow.asp

UserPostedImage

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2010 01:38:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Would if I could Thomas! Make sure you take lots of photos for those of us in far flung places of the earth.
Offline mnosal  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2010 02:33:21(UTC)
mnosal

That's super news. I was planning on going again this year. ETE folk usually have a nice setup, so this should mean an even better display this year.
Z-scale, DRG steam from Era 2. See: zscale.tumblr.com
Offline jonquinn  
#4 Posted : 06 January 2010 03:32:03(UTC)
jonquinn

too far away for me, especially this time of year. I have never been to Massachusettes yet.

I think maybe the regional chapters need to start holding their own meets, possibly joining with another nearby regional chapter and then picking a reasonably centralized location to hold the event.

Offline rschaffr  
#5 Posted : 06 January 2010 04:39:07(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Depends on when my Granddaughter's birthday party is. If it is not that weekend, I will probably be there.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline sudibarba  
#6 Posted : 06 January 2010 04:47:17(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I'll be there. I'll see if I can talk Dale Schultz into going.
Eric
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 06 January 2010 15:25:26(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Dont't forget post the pictures if anyone.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline obxbill  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2010 00:29:17(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
I'd go if it was a little farther south. New England is just too much of a drive. Especially this time of year. If it ever gets a bit more down the coast, I'd love to join in.

Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
Offline EuroKev  
#9 Posted : 10 January 2010 18:39:17(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
Hey everyone new to the forum...i think i might got to this event. I did go to the springfield show many times years ago. I am guessing this is the same event with ETE there also?..I dont remember a big euro enthusiast presence..but it was and is a really big show.thanks

Kev
Kev
Offline rbw993  
#10 Posted : 10 January 2010 19:07:22(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I am thinking of it. I haven't been in years.

Roger
Offline GSRR  
#11 Posted : 10 January 2010 19:19:59(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Bigdaddynz wrote:
Would if I could Thomas! Make sure you take lots of photos for those of us in far flung places of the earth.

David,

certainly will take some pictures and post. I may try the video / youtube thing, but may need some help with that.

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline GSRR  
#12 Posted : 10 January 2010 19:26:56(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
obxbill wrote:
I'd go if it was a little farther south. New England is just too much of a drive. Especially this time of year. If it ever gets a bit more down the coast, I'd love to join in.

Bill

It's always a challenge here in the states. I went to the NMRA show in New Haven this summer. The Marklin / European presence was anemic at best. Never been to the MEA meet down in Pennsylvania, maybe the only thing closer to you?

I think the advantage of being at The Big E is that it is such a big show you get a lot of traffic passing by the club layout and generate some interest hopefully amongst some newcomers.

Regards,

Thomas

Offline steventrain  
#13 Posted : 10 January 2010 23:40:11(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi and welcome to the forum, Kev.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline EuroKev  
#14 Posted : 11 January 2010 02:53:48(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
steventrain wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum, Kev.Smile

Thanks Steven. I am glad i found this forum.I feel that I will learn a great deal from you people BigGrin
Kev
Kev
Offline obxbill  
#15 Posted : 11 January 2010 03:11:47(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
GSRR wrote:
obxbill wrote:

Bill

It's always a challenge here in the states. I went to the NMRA show in New Haven this summer. The Marklin / European presence was anemic at best. Never been to the MEA meet down in Pennsylvania, maybe the only thing closer to you?

I think the advantage of being at The Big E is that it is such a big show you get a lot of traffic passing by the club layout and generate some interest hopefully amongst some newcomers.

Regards,

Thomas

What is the MEA meet? And welcome to the group, Kev!

Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
Offline GSRR  
#16 Posted : 11 January 2010 04:06:47(UTC)
GSRR

United States   

What is the MEA meet? And welcome to the group, Kev!

Bill

Welcome to the group Kev.

Bill, have a look here.

http://www.modellbahn.com/marklin_clubs.html

Regards,

Thomas

Offline plavnostruev  
#17 Posted : 14 January 2010 05:25:33(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
I always wanted to attend Euro East show, if not as a dealer, then at
least to meet with ETE folks and check out their displays. Even though
this show is right before start of Nurnberg Toy Fair, the stars seemed
to have aligned favorably to come and bring some of that Marklin,
Roco, Fleischmann, Piko, Schuco (and what not) gear. I will also present
our new EMTZ Z line of vehicles and structures.

So, New England, get ready, you ain't seen nothing yet!Laugh

Michael

Offline Chris6382chris  
#18 Posted : 14 January 2010 21:09:37(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Would you say it is a show worth visiting if I live in California. I do attend the Eurowest shows here in CA and enjoy them. Is there alot of European stuff at this show as well?

Chris
Offline rschaffr  
#19 Posted : 14 January 2010 21:34:45(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Remains to be seen. The old ones that were in Marietta PA were amateurish and somewhat trivial compared to some of the US shows I have been to. The attempt in 2009 of combining it with the show in Syracuse was all but invisible (I was there). I do have high hopes for this one though and will make an effort to be there. Depends on how long my commitment on Saturday is, we may drive part way up to Connecticut on Saturday night and be there for Sunday. I won't know really until that day, however. If anyone will be there Sunday why not arrange a meeting spot (perhaps Mike's booth?) and time. I will endeavor to join you.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline verheyen  
#20 Posted : 15 January 2010 00:28:18(UTC)
verheyen

Sorry I missed you. Was there with my n-scale modules.

p.

rschaffr wrote:
Remains to be seen. The old ones that were in Marietta PA were amateurish and somewhat trivial compared to some of the US shows I have been to. The attempt in 2009 of combining it with the show in Syracuse was all but invisible (I was there). I do have high hopes for this one though and will make an effort to be there. Depends on how long my commitment on Saturday is, we may drive part way up to Connecticut on Saturday night and be there for Sunday. I won't know really until that day, however. If anyone will be there Sunday why not arrange a meeting spot (perhaps Mike's booth?) and time. I will endeavor to join you.

Offline jonquinn  
#21 Posted : 15 January 2010 02:34:58(UTC)
jonquinn

wow - first post I have seen by Peter Verheyen in a long time.

so how was the show, at least as far as euro trains go? was it worth the long trek for anyone?

I still miss the Marietta PA shows, even 'though they were small in size/scope, they were the only euro theme train shows I've heard of in the USA. Not as massive as some of the Greenburg and other traveling shows they used(?) to have, but was OK for me - in those sometimes you get "lucky" and find some hugely overpriced marklin or other european trains (not counting LGB).
From the ETE website it looked like the EuroWest has been much better organized and attended (especially by vendors) than any of the Marietta shows were.
Offline verheyen  
#22 Posted : 15 January 2010 03:23:00(UTC)
verheyen

It was ok. I left ETE (won't go into details), but exhibited independently in the "Euro-East" area. I had my four modules, the Chapter, minus another member had the remaining modules set up as another layout, then a few sales tables - mostly sad like many of those at other EE shows with one real (and great vendor). Publicity was non-existent save one or two postings to other forums so very few Euros up for the show. Did meet and chat with Grant Markley and his wife - they're quite nice.

Total of 6200 for the show, good central location with a lot of folks walking by. I was rather busy and the kids loved my n-scale modules as I had them set up on regular tables - great height for viewing with no stools or ropes. All were very well behaved. Also some good interactions with people interested in my scratch-built card structures. Videos and pictures on my website/blog at http://papphausen.blogsp...11/trains-in-motion.html.

Was it worth it for a die hard Euro, probably not unless you enjoy viewing model railroads in general. I think being with non-euros was great and showed the breadth of the hobby. While a solo, Euro only show is a nice idea, the critical mass will never be there on the East Coast. Could it have attracted more Euros with better PR? Maybe, but the offerings need to be much better. More good layouts and real vendors.

Was invited to go to the Amherst show by the ENE folks but the timing didn't work out. Amherst is a MUCH bigger show and they have a great layout. I hope the other Euro-trappings work out for them too and they are successful.

Back to lurking (occasionally)

p.

jonquinn wrote:
wow - first post I have seen by Peter Verheyen in a long time.

so how was the show, at least as far as euro trains go? was it worth the long trek for anyone?

I still miss the Marietta PA shows, even 'though they were small in size/scope, they were the only euro theme train shows I've heard of in the USA. Not as massive as some of the Greenburg and other traveling shows they used(?) to have, but was OK for me - in those sometimes you get "lucky" and find some hugely overpriced marklin or other european trains (not counting LGB).
From the ETE website it looked like the EuroWest has been much better organized and attended (especially by vendors) than any of the Marietta shows were.
Offline mmervine  
#23 Posted : 15 January 2010 15:01:57(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
For those planning to attend, this is one of the biggest train shows in the US. We will only be a small portion of the show. As far as I know this is what we will have:

2 or3 Euro layouts
3 or 4 Marklin dealers (including Mike!)
3 Clinics

There should also be a few dealers with ESU decoders and ECOS systems.

There will also be dinner (e-mail Barry if you want to attend) at a German Themed restaurant Staurday evening (and maybe Friday as well). Chance to meet and talk with some other Marklin/Euro enthisiasts.

We know this is not as good as having a dedicated show, but it is better than not having it at all.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline rschaffr  
#24 Posted : 15 January 2010 16:23:13(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Peter:

Great to hear from you! I am disappointed that I did not see your layout at Syracuse. Cheryl and I walked both halls twice looking for a "Euro East Section" and found no evidence of it. I was particularly looking for Euro layouts and I saw none. Where were you? The only Euro-centric thing I found was one vendor from whom I bought some stuff. It was not a wasted trip, since I do attend many non-euro shows (and belong to NMRA which has literally no Euro interest), but I would have loved to have seen more Euro there. I am going to do my best to get to Springfield because this concept will only survive if we support it (the same reason I kept going back to Marietta and why I always try to attend the anemic MEA swap meets). Hope to see you there.
-Ron
Offline verheyen  
#25 Posted : 15 January 2010 21:49:33(UTC)
verheyen

Ron, the area was bedecked with various Euroflags in the Center of Progress building (the main one that didn't smell of cow...). If you came in the main entrance and walked straight (without turning) past the garden scale thing on the floor we were behind the blue curtain - open on all 3 other sides... Floorplan at http://www.cnynrhs.org/Train_Fair/COP-2009.pdf. There are also snippets in the slideshow at http://www.cnynrhs.org/Train_Fair/train_fair.html- lots of images, but you'd pick it out. The picture below is part of that slideshow and shows me... Yes, it was very dull from the ETE group. Most of those selling were on walk about and not with their wares or otherwise talking to themselves. I had lots of fun with the kids and others though and it was not dead for me 85% of the time. Click on image below for a larger view...

UserPostedImage

rschaffr wrote:
Peter:

Great to hear from you! I am disappointed that I did not see your layout at Syracuse. Cheryl and I walked both halls twice looking for a "Euro East Section" and found no evidence of it. I was particularly looking for Euro layouts and I saw none. Where were you? The only Euro-centric thing I found was one vendor from whom I bought some stuff. It was not a wasted trip, since I do attend many non-euro shows (and belong to NMRA which has literally no Euro interest), but I would have loved to have seen more Euro there. I am going to do my best to get to Springfield because this concept will only survive if we support it (the same reason I kept going back to Marietta and why I always try to attend the anemic MEA swap meets). Hope to see you there.

Offline ttenordave  
#26 Posted : 25 January 2010 22:41:57(UTC)
ttenordave

Hope to be there. Ttenordave
ttenordave
Offline rschaffr  
#27 Posted : 26 January 2010 21:57:12(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Anyone else going on Sunday? I would say that I have an 80% probability of making it on Sunday. I will check in with Mike when I get there to see if anyone else is around.
-Ron
Offline smoke006  
#28 Posted : 27 January 2010 05:46:15(UTC)
smoke006

jonquinn wrote:
too far away for me, especially this time of year. I have never been to Massachusettes yet.

I think maybe the regional chapters need to start holding their own meets, possibly joining with another nearby regional chapter and then picking a reasonably centralized location to hold the event.

I agree,
Perhaps looking into a centralize location will allow a reasonbile response to attend the Meeting.
Smoke
Offline EuroKev  
#29 Posted : 31 January 2010 07:26:53(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
I was planning on going to this meet, but it is just too far for me to enjoy.A possible 6 hour drive each way is no fun so I hope there might be a meet in my general area again soon (missed out on the marietta meets in the past).thanks

Kev
Kev
Offline rbw993  
#30 Posted : 31 January 2010 16:00:14(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I made the trip to the Amherst Show and stopped by the EuroEast layout. I joined ETE and am looking forward to meeting the folks in my area. Also met Mike of Euro Model Trains and bought a few cars.

This was the biggest train show I have ever been to. I don't remember how many layouts I looked at. One of the nicest was an On30 tidewater type layout out of Rhode Island. The layout was around five feet above the florr and you could walk up to and through it so you could really enjoy the scenery and trains. They kept trains moving which is nice. Nothing worse than a huge modular layout with one train running.

No pictures, sorry.
Roger
Offline rschaffr  
#31 Posted: : 31 January 2010 17:26:21(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
We couldn't make it this year. I was planning to go but circumstances prevented it. Maybe next time.
-Ron
Offline Ranjit  
#32 Posted : 31 January 2010 18:00:45(UTC)
Ranjit

Pictures, anyone?

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline sudibarba  
#33 Posted : 01 February 2010 04:13:18(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I went today and spent about 4 hours there. Walthers had a display but very little Marklin - what a surprise.
ESU had a table there with 2 people. Played with the Lok programmer - I think I'll get one.
Aside from some light bases the only thing I bought was a ladle car - one of the two part set from a couple of years ago. Not that much Marklin there, but I did see some good deals - I passed considering what I have on order and that I will have to order the new three part F7.

Eric
Offline plavnostruev  
#34 Posted : 01 February 2010 22:28:35(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Well, this has been by far the largest Train Hobby show in the US that I have been a part of (or ever attended).
4 buildings full of many excellent (and huge) displays in all gauges and themes, and a large number of vendors and
manufacturers. They expanded available space this year and over 21,000 people were through the door.
Words "model train hobby" and "expanded" rarely go hand in hand nowadays, so it was very refreshing to see such
great interest. Way to go, New England!

Euro East 2010 hosted by New England chapter of ETE naturally was an oasis for fans of European trains.
They had rather large presence with superb Marklin layout and several auxiliary displays for kids and adults alike.
There was a huge projection screen showing movies of European prototypes and they also did several presentations
to the public. All I can say is: great job promoting this hobby, well done! I also wanted to thank all of ETE folks for
accommodating and supporting us at the show. And we were gratified to meet so many Marklin fans from all parts of the area.

Below pictures are of ETE Marklin layout; for most of the weekend it was jam-packed with people admiring the layout.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Michael
Offline mmervine  
#35 Posted : 01 February 2010 22:33:02(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Mike-it was a pleasure to meet you. Thanks for coming to the show! Safe travels to Germany this week!!!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline EuroKev  
#36 Posted : 02 February 2010 02:19:30(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
Hey thanks for posting the pics.I wish I could have made the trip there. Maybee next year
Kev
Offline ttenordave  
#37 Posted : 02 February 2010 18:46:15(UTC)
ttenordave

The show was great and for a change I was able to concentrate on the Euro stuff and not allow myself to get overwhelmed by the quantity and variety that is present elsewhere at this major train event. The ETE layout was absolutely wonderful in every way and was attracting lots of attention with a lot of children included which was encouraging. Meeting Mike was especially helpful as I need an enthusiastic, knowledgeable vendor to get me going beyond my starter set layout mentality at present. Dave R
ttenordave
Offline Ian555  
#38 Posted : 02 February 2010 20:37:58(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,
Great pictures,thanks for sharing.

Ian.
Offline steventrain  
#39 Posted : 02 February 2010 21:30:25(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent pics, Mike.Smile
Offline GSRR  
#40 Posted : 02 February 2010 23:23:35(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Here are some pictures I took of the ETE - ENE club layout.

Regards,

Thomas

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline jhpstern  
#41 Posted : 03 February 2010 00:39:25(UTC)
jhpstern

Michael & Thomas,

Thanks for the great pictures.

I attended a few shows here in NC but the shows were small and virtually no European trains, building, etc.

Great pictures, makes me feel like I was there.
jhpstern
Offline sudibarba  
#42 Posted : 03 February 2010 05:14:46(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
GSRR wrote:
Here are some pictures I took of the ETE - ENE club layout.

Regards,

Thomas

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Great photos. I was there and your pictures look better than I remember. That is probably due to the huge crowds interferring with looking. Model railroading might be dead but you could not tell it from the crowds and the conversations I over heard.
Eric
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline rcorreia  
#43 Posted : 03 February 2010 12:27:06(UTC)
rcorreia

You have an impressive work there. And very nice photos, for all the rest of us who can't go there to see it live. Thanks for posting

Drool
Ricardo Correia
Lisboa, Portugal
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Meinburg/123173834418570