Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tekin65  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2008 09:42:10(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Hi,

I just have received the set I bought to use with my wine-red Br E19:

Liliput:

L383003 SALOON PRESS CARRIAGE
L385203 MACHINE BAGGAGE COACH
L385103 SALON CARRIAGE FOR THE REICH MARSHALL

Era II - Deutsche Reichsbahn

UserPostedImage

Although they are sold separately I tend to think they make up a nice set. I just bought a Märklin Mitropa diner to add to this set.

Here's what I think of the Liliput coaches: Like many products coming from companies who think models are commodities, these are also packed in a way that it is almost impossible to put back into their boxes. I will try not to buy such stuff before my layout is complete because these are made to put on the layout and never to be touched again.

All coaches have close-coupling mechanism which is very good. One downside is that the stairs move sideways to give way to couplers. Bit annoying to know but tolerable.

They have spring loaded bumpers - not a bad feature but may become a nuisance as the structure is exclusively plastic, which makes buffers weaker than non-spring loaded ones. I will not be happy if they broke in the first accident, so I plan to super-glue them before I start to use the set.

All coaches come with zillions of spearately applied parts in bags. But guess what? No user manual ... you just need to be a coach expert to figure out which will go where.

The same thing (absence of user manual) is also a pain if you like to put figures and lighting into the coaches.

Overall construction quality is good, body moulding have no flaws, printings are of high quality, interior decoration is better than of regular Märklin coaches (i.e. different colours for tables and chairs). One thing the rivet counters will not be happy with is that the bottom (underside) have very few and shabby details.

The RRP of the set is 88.40 pounds Sterling which I think way above what they deserve. I get about 60% off (paid 30 pounds + post).

I think I'm happy with what I get for what I paid.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline orubias  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2008 09:48:15(UTC)
orubias

Spain   
Very nice coaches, Cem, a good adquisition!

Band on the run
Offline marklinsa  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2008 13:52:25(UTC)
marklinsa

South Africa   
Merheba Cem bey

Have you tried these coaches on R1 & R2 K-track curves yet? I bought some Liliput SBB Ep2 coaches recently (shorter wheel base), fitted AC wheelseets and they survived my R1 & R2 curves + curved turnouts.

Herman Steyn
Herman Steyn
DRG Epoche 2, SBB & Narrow Gauge
www.herman.rula.co.za
http://www.samodelrailway.hot.co.za/
Offline tekin65  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2008 14:13:08(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Herman hi,

No, I have not yet tried them. I plan to do so over the weekend; and thank you for the tip. I'll see if they perform ok with original wheels. If not I'll change them.

I hope they'll survive my layout too.

I see that your Turkish is better than my Spanish biggrin

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline WelshMatt  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2008 17:08:27(UTC)
WelshMatt

What you have there is Goering's private train from WW2...

The Liliput skirted coaches are excellent models, only let down by the need to add close couplers (they have the mechanism, but the coupler heads are standard ones) and the fact that mine at least were glued together and I can't see how to get into them without damaging them.

I don't understand this business about plastic being weak - does everyone else re-enact Gomez Addams style crashes on their layouts or something? Providing you handle them with care the Liliput models will survive most things.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline tekin65  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2008 17:08:43(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Hi,

This morning I have sent a mail to Bachmann Europe Plc. asking for user manuals for the cars. I just received the documents in PDF format. It took them about 5 hours to respond.

Five star service, bravo Bachmann!

Cem.

P.S. I'm still waiting an answer from Märklin, I wish they could take a class at Bachmann on customer service, it's just around the corner in Nurnberg.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline tekin65  
#7 Posted : 02 December 2008 17:13:19(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by WelshMatt
<br />I don't understand this business about plastic being weak - does everyone else re-enact Gomez Addams style crashes on their layouts or something? Providing you handle them with care the Liliput models will survive most things.

Matt hi,

I don't think plastic is weak. But the buffers are another story ... they are spring loaded and already twisting and turning if I push them in with my finger. They just don't give much confidence biggrin

Anyway, I like the set and will find a way to handle them properly even when they are off the layout Smile

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline WelshMatt  
#8 Posted : 02 December 2008 17:18:45(UTC)
WelshMatt

They're stronger than they feel, those buffers. The only ones I have problems with are the oval or square buffers on modern stock which can twist and jam the coupling, stopping it swinging for curves. Those do tend to get de-sprung and glued in place.
Matt from Wales.

Offline tekin65  
#9 Posted : 02 December 2008 17:36:16(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
<br />The only ones I have problems with are the oval or square buffers on modern stock which can twist and jam the coupling, stopping it swinging for curves. Those do tend to get de-sprung and glued in place.

biggrin

The baggage car have square ones. They're the ones I will glue Smile

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline WelshMatt  
#10 Posted : 03 December 2008 02:09:55(UTC)
WelshMatt

You may want to change the gangway on one end of the baggage van too - IIRC Liliput provide spare extended ones in the box, along with mouldings to represent the hangers which support the gangway on the real thing.

These should also be fitted to the other two coaches - if you look at the moulded retracted gangways on the baggage van you should be able to work out how to fit them.

If my Liliput collection is anything to go by you will have some parts which do not appear to fit the coaches, they seem to make a standard parts sprue for everything. The brake hoses are very handy for other models however - I've detailed a couple of steuerwagen bufferbeams using spare hoses and dummy screw couplings from Liliput detailing sprues.

I have that salonwagen in its later Epoch IV guise (it was refurbished for use by post war Chancellors). The interior detailing is superb, even the toilet floors are picked out with "tiles" and the seats around the conference table are painted differently to the cupboards at the end of the table and the table itself. Marklin could learn a lot from the attention to detail painting there.
Matt from Wales.

Offline tekin65  
#11 Posted : 03 December 2008 06:49:31(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
<br />The interior detailing is superb, even the toilet floors are picked out with "tiles" and the seats around the conference table are painted differently to the cupboards at the end of the table and the table itself. Marklin could learn a lot from the attention to detail painting there.

That's right.

And thanks for the advice on gangway, will do that.

Do we know how to remove the roof to fit lighting?

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline WelshMatt  
#12 Posted : 04 December 2008 13:28:30(UTC)
WelshMatt

On mine the body and roof are moulded as one piece, and appear to be glued to the floor. I don't see how I could get them apart without causing damage. I could do with getting into one of my Epoch 2 Mitropa sleepers as the window in the gangway door has come loose. Not really noticable but still annoying.

This is the one silly part, as Liliput also offer coaches where the body is simply clipped to the floor and will come off if you slide a fingernail between the bodyside and the chassis. If they did that with the entire range it would be a huge improvement.

Here's my version of the salonwagen in Epoch IV livery:
UserPostedImage
Matt from Wales.

Offline tekin65  
#13 Posted : 04 December 2008 13:38:45(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Hi Matt,

Very nice!

It would be such a shame if we cannot find a way to put lights into those beauties [xx(]

I'll try this evening ... see what happens.

Cheers,

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 04 December 2008 22:26:25(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice, Matt.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#15 Posted : 05 December 2008 00:37:59(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

Quote:
<br />On mine the body and roof are moulded as one piece, and appear to be glued to the floor. I don't see how I could get them apart without causing damage. I could do with getting into one of my Epoch 2 Mitropa sleepers as the window in the gangway door has come loose. Not really noticable but still annoying.

This is the one silly part, as Liliput also offer coaches where the body is simply clipped to the floor and will come off if you slide a fingernail between the bodyside and the chassis. If they did that with the entire range it would be a huge improvement.

Here's my version of the salonwagen in Epoch IV livery:
UserPostedImage

Does that Saloon coach fit with 37538 and is it a Marklin?
Offline WelshMatt  
#16 Posted : 05 December 2008 02:14:09(UTC)
WelshMatt

Nope, Liliput. It will run on Marklin although you may need to file the underside of the buffers a little to clear the Marklin couplings on tighter curves as it is delivered with standard relex-type couplings.

As far as I know it was the German Chancellor's personal coach, so would presumably have run with other stock as part of a special train. I don't know what other coaches would have been used or which locos.
Matt from Wales.

Offline lokbraz  
#17 Posted : 05 December 2008 04:07:52(UTC)
lokbraz

Hello,

They are great cars and blend okay with Marklin. I have some of skirted cars in era II green and III blue Rheingold scheme. I am particularly fun of blue DB observation museum car that came from Henschel-Wegmann consist and the camo versions including the modified one with 2 flak guns .

They couple fine, but not as close as Marklin cars. I tried to change the generic NEM couplers to Marklin type, but unfortunately they get on the way of bumpers.

The Liliput cars can have the roof removed but it is a real PITA!

Ed
My ancestors came from the land of rising sun. I was born in South America. Spent time in Europe. Now I live in California.
So, I am a builder of south american brass models. I read about the railroads on the Sierras. But I play with Marklin and have best time with my Marklin peers. wink
Offline WelshMatt  
#18 Posted : 05 December 2008 17:32:46(UTC)
WelshMatt

In my experience the skirted coaches are ok with Marklin close coupling heads, as the buffers are round and will therefore clear the couplings. I have an Epoch II 1st/2nd/3rd composite and a couple of Mitropa sleepers. Vaguely considering buying an all 3rd to add to the train as Rails of Sheffield have them for £10 each.

Here's a comparison photo of the composite and one of my Marklin/Trix 1950s Rheingold coaches, they do blend nicely but I think Liliput's roof vents are better:

UserPostedImage
Matt from Wales.

Offline tekin65  
#19 Posted : 05 December 2008 22:26:49(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Hi,

Matt, they look owesome!

I have tried to remove the roofs with no avail [xx(] gave up after 20 minutes ... well, they deserve to be without lights!

I'll be fixing the details tomorrow. Man .. Liliput are like women, they require much taking care of!

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline WelshMatt  
#20 Posted : 06 December 2008 02:14:15(UTC)
WelshMatt

Don't forget that the brake hoses and dummy scale couplings can't be used if you want a working coupling on that end of the coach. They're worth hanging onto however as they can be used to detail steuerwagen, as I did with this Rowa model:

UserPostedImage
Matt from Wales.

Offline tekin65  
#21 Posted : 06 December 2008 07:38:44(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Matt hi,

Yet another very nice one ...

Yes, I think I will save those dummy hoses and couplings for last cars of other consists. My airport set just arrived with an extra car which has a missing part. Maybe I'll install red lights and scale couplings etc. on it.

I will be very busy with the layout next week, and then the fun with locos and cars will start Smile

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE