Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline perz  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2008 20:40:37(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Inspired by the discussion in the recent topics "NEW SYSTEMS - A MEGA FLOP !!!" and "Marklin 60172 Booster mfx Delivery", I have made some experiments.

I have been able to add mfx feedback to a 6017 booster. It works and I can register loks on the boostered section. It is just a lab experiment so far, and I don't know the reliability of my current circuitry, but I am quite confident that it can be developed to a fully functional and reliable solution.

UserPostedImage

The mfx feedback data is sent by modulating the current draw. I pick up the current draw variations in the boostered section with a signal transformer. Then I amplify the signal and let it cause a corresponding current draw in the section directly fed by the Mobile Station.
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2008 22:31:55(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Interesting. I interpret the scheme as you detect the feedback signal, and "send" it to the primary circuit; thus using the 6017 as an ordinary booster whichs also transparently sends the feedback circuit back to the origin. If MobStat or CS is used doesn't matter, mfx feedback signals are detecte regardless of which circuit they occur. I wonder (slightly) if the 60172 won't detect what circuit the feedback occured either. Not very usable in any case; Digitrax seems to have a smarter idea.

/Lars
Offline hemau  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2008 23:04:53(UTC)
hemau

Great work! What's the difference between a lab experiment and real operation if you can register loks on the boostered section? None I would assume.

What do you mean by the voltage lever shifter? I am only familiar with using the Delta Controls 6604(5) as booster. Do they have such a VLS inside?
Regards, Henk.
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline Maxi  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2008 23:27:11(UTC)
Maxi

I think that the voltage level shifter is the marklin module 60129 also known as a connect-6017.

This is a great start. Once we know more about how to send and receive information on the CAN bus then I think the design could be changed to work directly on the CAN bus.
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 07 July 2008 00:13:34(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Yes, I see.

What is the propagation delay - relative to the packet gaps.

i.e. any chance of the amplified signal (from a mFX decoder) still driving when the MS exits its "listening" mode?
Peter
Offline perz  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2008 01:18:48(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Lars Westerlind
<br />Interesting. I interpret the scheme as you detect the feedback signal, and "send" it to the primary circuit; thus using the 6017 as an ordinary booster whichs also transparently sends the feedback circuit back to the origin. If MobStat or CS is used doesn't matter, mfx feedback signals are detecte regardless of which circuit they occur. I wonder (slightly) if the 60172 won't detect what circuit the feedback occured either. Not very usable in any case; Digitrax seems to have a smarter idea.

/Lars

I suspect that Märklin wants to avoid using the mfx feedback for positioning - since that principle is patented (patent licenced by Digitrax). But I don't know. Those who get the new booster will hopefully report their findings.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hemau
<br />What's the difference between a lab experiment and real operation if you can register loks on the boostered section? None I would assume.

In a lab experiment I only verify that it works in my straight-forward setup. I do not test or calculate margins, so I do not know if my circuit will work with all variations in voltages, component values etc. Some extra work would be required before I could present a complete schematic which is actually reliable within the whole range of operating conditions that may occur.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
What do you mean by the voltage lever shifter? I am only familiar with using the Delta Controls 6604(5) as booster. Do they have such a VLS inside?

On the track, i.e. out from the MS, a "1" is represented by +20 V and a "0" is represented by -20 V. In the booster cable, a "1" is represented by 5 V and a "0" is represented by 0 V. So the voltage level shifter translates +20 V to + 5 V and -20 V to 0 V. The Delta units have something similar inside I think.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by clapcott
<br />What is the propagation delay - relative to the packet gaps.

i.e. any chance of the amplified signal (from a mFX decoder) still driving when the MS exits its "listening" mode?

I don't see a problem with this. The reading of one bit in the reverse channel takes 912 microseconds. The delay through the voltage shifter, booster and detection circuit is a few microseconds at most.

If the amplified signal is still driving when the MS exits the "listening" mode it won't disturb anything. In fact, the circuit amplifies the forward signalling as well, and repeats it back to the MS all the time. But since the MS does not listen except for in the feedback windows this does not matter.
Offline efel  
#7 Posted : 07 July 2008 01:55:00(UTC)
efel

France   
Perz,
Could you tell more about the characteristics of the mfx signal sent back by the loco decoder: amplitude, frequency...
Do your transfo+amplifier act also as a filter?
Sorry if this has already been answered in an other post, but up to now, I was not interested in mfx and did not follow this topic.
But your post makes me curious.
Thanks,
Fred
Offline DamonKelly  
#8 Posted : 07 July 2008 13:33:45(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Thanks Per -- all is clear to me now!

When I first investigated mfx, I was confused as to how a "booster" could possibly work -- how could it determine which direction a signal was going, and hence avoid latching. Philips have an I2C "booster" that uses tricks with level thresholds and specifications, but it seemed to me that the MRR environment was far too variable for that to work. On thinking further, it was obvious that a decoder could not possibly pull the track voltage from +20V to -20V whan it was driven be even a 1.2A MS.
My basic mistake was to assume the "return" signal was the same format as the "outgoing" signal i.e. ±20V or so, when in fact it is encoded as a high-frequency current modulation.

You have cleared that up wonderfully.
Cheers,
Damon
Offline perz  
#9 Posted : 07 July 2008 13:50:43(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I have made some more measurements. I was able to extract the mfx feedback signal from the sending lok, and measure it. I have tested two loks, the 37555 and the 39980.

The 37555: 140 mA current variation (peak to peak), 52 kHz frequency
The 39980: 120 mA current variation (peak to peak), 55 kHz frequency

Conclusions from this:

a) The feedback signal consumes significant power (2.4 to 2.8 W peak, 1.2 to 1.4 W average while transmitting). If something goes wrong so that the transmitter is on permanently, it is likely to burn the decoder. I don't think the circuitry is designed to handle this high power dissipation permanently. This is also consistent with Rainer Müllers findings that a continuously turned on feedback signal could burn the decoder.

b) The feedback frequency does not seem to be so exact. The RDS system uses 57 kHz but it seems sufficient to be somewhere in the range. I can note though that the 39980 which is transmitting with a frequency closer to 57 kHz will continue to register when I have made the conditions so bad that the 37555 just stops to register, even though the 39980 transmits with somewhat lower amplitude.

I have tested the sensitivity of my current "lab" circuitry. It detects current variations down to 10 mA. So there is a 12 to 1 margin. Good enough.

I have tested the sensitivity of the receiver of the MS. It detects current variations down to 13 mA. With 11 mA the loks will not register. So my detection circuit is somewhat more sensitive than the MS, but in the same range.

In my "lab" setup, I have used a 1 kOhm resistor to feed the return signal to the MS. This gives 20 mA. To match the signal strength of the loks, the resistor should be 150 Ohm. I will then need a resistor with higher power rating and also a stronger transistor to drive the signal.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by efel
<br />Do your transfo+amplifier act also as a filter?

Yes, it does, but it is a filter with a rather wide frequency range (low "Q value"). I haven't calculated it exactly, but it picks up all signals in the frequency range used for forward and reverse digital communication.
Offline efel  
#10 Posted : 08 July 2008 01:22:51(UTC)
efel

France   
Thanks for all those quite interesting measurements, Perz!
Offline perz  
#11 Posted : 08 July 2008 01:35:01(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
During my test I have got the "mfx lok won't register" problem twice. Maybe not so strange since I am varying the conditions until it stops working, and then you get all kinds of erroneuos behaviour.

However, I used another method to cure the problem than what Märklin proposes. Instead of using a second MS, I register another mfx lok in the MS. Then I delete that other lok from the MS again. Then the lok that had the problem will not have the problem any longer.

I think I can force bad enough conditions to be able to reproduce the non-registration problem rather easily. If I get a little bit more time I could then also try to see what kind of signalling that goes on/does not go on in this error state. That would hopefully shed some light on the root of the problem.
Offline xxup  
#12 Posted : 08 July 2008 14:18:00(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Per,

I see a great opportunity for you to make some money from your idea.. I would buy three from you..

Cheers
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline perz  
#13 Posted : 09 July 2008 13:38:35(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I have now put a description of the design on my homepage: http://www.persmodelrailroad.net/mfx_boost.html.

Edited by user 01 September 2012 20:51:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline GSRR  
#14 Posted : 17 January 2010 21:06:41(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
perz wrote:
I have now put a description of the design on my homepage: http://home.swipnet.se/perz/mfx_boost.html.

Per,

do you have any pictures of the finished product?

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline perz  
#15 Posted : 17 January 2010 23:17:21(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
GSRR wrote:
Per,

do you have any pictures of the finished product?

Regards,

Thomas

No, I haven't. I actually never really built it. I just wired it up on an experiment board of a kind where the components are held by springs and not soldered. I do not intend to use it myself. I just wanted to test the principle to verify my findings about how mfx works. The schematic is however designed according to "worst case" design rules, including margins for component variation, voltage variation etc. and I made some tests with "tilted" component values to verify that the margins are not just theoretical.
Offline Purellum  
#16 Posted : 17 January 2010 23:20:08(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Per, how do you think it will work with multiple boosters and feedback-units?

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline GSRR  
#17 Posted : 18 January 2010 00:38:25(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
perz wrote:
No, I haven't. I actually never really built it. I just wired it up on an experiment board of a kind where the components are held by springs and not soldered. I do not intend to use it myself. I just wanted to test the principle to verify my findings about how mfx works. The schematic is however designed according to "worst case" design rules, including margins for component variation, voltage variation etc. and I made some tests with "tilted" component values to verify that the margins are not just theoretical.

Ok, I thought you had. I have gone through the diagram, and have a few questions, if you dont' mind.

1. Are V1-V2 the same as V3-V4?
2. S1-S3 what would you use for straps?
3. X1-X4 do you just solder the wire straight to the the circuit board?

This what I found from the diagram, anything wrong?

CODE NAME QUANTITY MODEL other
C ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITOR 2 4.7uF 50V
C CERAMIC CAPACITOR 2 0.1uF 50V .01uF 50V
D 3 TERMINAL POSITIVE REGULATOR 1 78L05 5V 0.14A 3-Pin TO-92
D DUAL VOLTAGE COMPARATOR 1 LM393 ±18 Volt / 36 Volt 8-Pin MDIP Rail 
Q NPN TRANSISTOR 2 BC547B
R RESISTOR (BBYG) 10 1K .5W 5% 1K .25W
R CARBON FILM RESISTOR 2 2.7K .5W
R RESISTOR 3 4.7K .5W
R RESISTOR 1 22K .5W
R RESISTOR 1 82K .5W
S STRAPS 3
T (IFT) TRANSFORMER 1 01:40
V GP RECTIFIER DIODE 4 1N4007
V HIGH SPEED DIODE 4 1N4148
V ZENER DIODE 1 1N4733A 5.1V 1W 1N751A 5.1V 500M

I used http://www.jameco.com as a reference source for most of the material.

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline perz  
#18 Posted : 18 January 2010 00:48:39(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Purellum wrote:
Cool

Per, how do you think it will work with multiple boosters and feedback-units?

Per.

Cool

I haven't tested, but I think it should work with a small number, say 2-3. The circuit is not designed to identify the mfx feedback so it feeds back also the normal forward signalling. This consumes some power on the master unit, and if you have too many units the load will be significant.

To use this idea with many boosters you should duplicate the sense part (signal transformer and comparator with its surrounding components) and then join the outputs together through logical Exclusive Or gates before feeding the signal to the feedback amplifier. This will still send feedback also during the forward signalling, but it will only consume the feedback power once, not once per booster.

Even better if you can decode the forward mfx signal and block the feedback amplifier when no mfx feedback is expected. I know how to do this in principle but I haven't bothered to spend the time to really implement it. It involves quite some PIC (or similar microprocessor) programming.
Offline Purellum  
#19 Posted : 18 January 2010 01:04:48(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Thanks.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage