Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ross  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2008 09:10:59(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi All,
If you are wondering what these components are for, visit my web pages and look under my Tips section to find out.

http://members.ozemail.c...ossstew/rms/marklin.html

UserPostedImage

I hope you find the information useful
Ross

Ross
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2008 09:21:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Very clever, Ross. How long does the 1200 grit last before it needs replacing?

Hmmmmm, I do have a spare one of these dump cars.....
Offline Caplin  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2008 10:01:34(UTC)
Caplin

A brilliant idea, Ross. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2008 10:12:07(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
what a cunning stunt.
n
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Macfire  
#5 Posted : 06 July 2008 10:24:41(UTC)
Macfire

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />what a cunning stunt.
n

biggrin biggrin biggrin
Well said Dick, I mean Nev Smile

Ross - thanks. I have the same issue, casting around for a suitable wagon.

Cheers
Tony
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2008 11:13:03(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good.biggrin
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline pab  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2008 12:22:03(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Good idea, thank you
Offline Basil  
#8 Posted : 06 July 2008 12:30:23(UTC)
Basil

Very simple and practical thanks Ross
Basil
Offline efel  
#9 Posted : 06 July 2008 12:38:31(UTC)
efel

France   
Is the wagon pushed or pulled by the loco?
biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Fred
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 06 July 2008 15:52:36(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Great idea.

David

PS Now available from the Flash Dave Company. Cheques or cash to be sent as usual.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline al_pignolo  
#11 Posted : 06 July 2008 17:19:19(UTC)
al_pignolo

Wow! This is a great solution for one of my biggest problems!
Thank you!Smile
Pietro
Offline spitzenklasse  
#12 Posted : 07 July 2008 01:33:56(UTC)
spitzenklasse

An on the rails parts washer! I like it!
Offline Ross  
#13 Posted : 07 July 2008 01:42:09(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your comments, I wish I had thought of this before cleaning my layout by hand in those most difficult places [B)]
Since I have been working on John's layout my trains don't get the regular running that keeps the centre studs clean. I have answered your questions/comments below in blue
Ross

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
Very clever, Ross. How long does the 1200 grit last before it needs replacing?
Hmmmmm, I do have a spare one of these dump cars.....

David, I have used this on my layout and also Rudolf's and part's of John's layout. You will also see in the photo I have more than one Collector shoe set up so I can just replace the existing shoe when the 1200 grit has worn out. It only takes a few minutes to scrape off the old grit and glue a clean strip on. Even though the 1200 grit may look worn, it still provides more friction to remove the rust than a normal collector shoe.

Originally posted by Caplin
A brilliant idea, Ross. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Originally posted by nevw
what a cunning stunt.
n

Originally posted by Macfire
Ross - thanks. I have the same issue, casting around for a suitable wagon.
Cheers
Tony

Originally posted by steventrain
Very good.biggrin

Originally posted by pab
Good idea, thank you

Originally posted by Basil
Very simple and practical thanks Ross
Basil

Originally posted by efel
Is the wagon pushed or pulled by the loco?
biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Fred
Fred, I pushed the wagon in front of the loco so the studs are clean before the loco reaches that section.

Originally posted by David Dewar
Great idea.
David
PS Now available from the Flash Dave Company. Cheques or cash to be sent as usual.
Dave, we haven't negotiated royalities yet

Originally posted by al_pignolo
Wow! This is a great solution for one of my biggest problems!
Thank you!Smile
Pietro
Ross
Offline Trainingtime  
#14 Posted : 08 July 2008 16:07:18(UTC)
Trainingtime

Love the idea!
Offline ulf999  
#15 Posted : 08 July 2008 20:45:58(UTC)
ulf999

Great idea!
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline Ross  
#16 Posted : 09 July 2008 02:28:02(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Jim and Ulf,
Thanks for your comment.
Ross
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Trainingtime
Love the idea!

Originally posted by ulf999
Great idea!
Ross
Offline Rowan  
#17 Posted : 09 July 2008 06:48:52(UTC)
Rowan

Cool
Offline monster134  
#18 Posted : 10 July 2008 01:15:12(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Indeed.I have an old class 44.The one with the 2 shoes.Ive glued a strip about 10mm long onto a spare shoe and i screwed that in there whenever i wanted to clean the rails.

But this is so much better.
If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
Offline intruder  
#19 Posted : 10 July 2008 01:34:32(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
A perfect way to re-use the worn out pick-up shoes.

Thanks for the tip, Ross!
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Ross  
#20 Posted : 10 July 2008 01:34:38(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Rowan, Riekus and Svein,
Thanks for your comments.
Ross
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by monster134
Indeed.I have an old class 44.The one with the 2 shoes.Ive glued a strip about 10mm long onto a spare shoe and i screwed that in there whenever i wanted to clean the rails.
But this is so much better.
I'm glad you like this simple solution, it seems to work very well

Originally posted by Rowan
Cool
Cool
Quote:

Originally posted by intruder
A perfect way to re-use the worn out pick-up shoes.
Thanks for the tip, Ross!
Ross
Offline bobhunt2  
#21 Posted : 10 July 2008 04:06:41(UTC)
bobhunt2

Thanks very much for the tip Ross - I am about to put it into practice.

In discussing it with a colleague he said that he had constructed and ran the cleaner as specified by you and the only thing that it had trouble with are uncoupling tracks. He said that they lifted the car off the rails because of their greater height.

On reflecting on that information I asked myself why that did not happen with locos and the conclusion I have come to is that their greater weight causes the pickup to compress rather than elevating the wagon they are attached to.

Do you think I am right, and if so would the solution be to attach the device to a wagon which can readily be loaded to increase its mass?

Bob
Offline DaleSchultz  
#22 Posted : 10 July 2008 18:51:12(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I am somewhat alarmed that you guys are all happy to sand down the center contacts... even 1200 grit will likely wear them down and I suspect you are creating big problems down the track...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline rschaffr  
#23 Posted : 10 July 2008 18:56:35(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have found that running the trains more keeps the pukos clean merely by the sliders running over them, unlike the rails that accumulate crud no matter how much you run the trains. If I have not had an operating session in a week or so, I get a lot of interruptions due to dirty pukos, but this "heals" itself after a few loks have passed over.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline hemau  
#24 Posted : 10 July 2008 20:47:29(UTC)
hemau

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />I am somewhat alarmed that you guys are all happy to sand down the center contacts... even 1200 grit will likely wear them down and I suspect you are creating big problems down the track...

The great big model railroad in Merklingen might be - as I heard or read somewhere - abolishing 3-rail because the center studs wear off. I don't think that's because of rust.
On the other hand, the more you sand, the more the studs will rust. I've done it all and I'm not in favor of it. It's better to get some kind of coating on them, e.g. WD40 to prevent them from rusting in the first place.
Regards, Henk.
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline Ross  
#25 Posted : 11 July 2008 03:28:20(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Bob, Dale, Ron and Henk,
Thanks fo your comments/suggestions. I have commented below in blue
Ross
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by bobhunt2
<br />Thanks very much for the tip Ross - I am about to put it into practice.
In discussing it with a colleague he said that he had constructed and ran the cleaner as specified by you and the only thing that it had trouble with are uncoupling tracks. He said that they lifted the car off the rails because of their greater height.
Bob, I have just tested it over some uncoupling tracks and have had no problems. The collector shoe springs must have been very strong to lift the wheels of the track or your friend has mounted the collector shoe too high above the wagon floor

On reflecting on that information I asked myself why that did not happen with locos and the conclusion I have come to is that their greater weight causes the pickup to compress rather than elevating the wagon they are attached to.

Do you think I am right, and if so would the solution be to attach the device to a wagon which can readily be loaded to increase its mass?
Bob

Bob, I chose the dump car because I could add weight to it if required, on testing it I didn't have to use any weights.

Originally posted by DaleSchultz
I am somewhat alarmed that you guys are all happy to sand down the center contacts... even 1200 grit will likely wear them down and I suspect you are creating big problems down the track...

Dale, If this car was used all the time I would have to agree with you, I did state that I haven't run my trains for some time and found this to be an easy way to fix the problem. My track is over twenty years old and I'm finding that failing points and double slips is more of a concern than the slight wear of the centre contacts (pukos).

Originally posted by rschaffr
I have found that running the trains more keeps the pukos clean merely by the sliders running over them, unlike the rails that accumulate crud no matter how much you run the trains. If I have not had an operating session in a week or so, I get a lot of interruptions due to dirty pukos, but this "heals" itself after a few loks have passed over.

Ron, I agree with you that regular running trains maintains the centre contacts (pukos) on main line areas but in areas such as shunting yards this can be more of a problem. In my case even running the trains at full speed couldn't get throught the bad areas.

Originally posted by hemau
The great big model railroad in Merklingen might be - as I heard or read somewhere - abolishing 3-rail because the center studs wear off. I don't think that's because of rust.
On the other hand, the more you sand, the more the studs will rust. I've done it all and I'm not in favor of it. It's better to get some kind of coating on them, e.g. WD40 to prevent them from rusting in the first place.
Regards, Henk.

Henk, Sanding is only part of the answer. In places where I can reach I also apply Electrolube to seal the bare metal studs and this also works very well but is very time consuming. Writing this article is the first in my track cleaning tips. I'm also working on an applicator that will apply Electrolube/WD40 in the right amounts to help protect the centre studs, so stay tuned folks [:p]

Ross
Offline bobhunt2  
#26 Posted : 11 July 2008 05:26:22(UTC)
bobhunt2

Thanks yet again Ross - looking forward to your next stage, which should act as preventative maintenance.

Bob
Offline Ross  
#27 Posted : 11 July 2008 06:12:04(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Bob, I'm not sure how long that may be, but soon I hope.
Ross
Quote:
<br />Thanks yet again Ross - looking forward to your next stage, which should act as preventative maintenance.
Bob
Ross
Offline Ross  
#28 Posted : 26 July 2008 03:28:15(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi All,

At long last here is part 2 of the "Centre stud cleaning and lubrication".

UserPostedImage

On the left is the contact "Cleaner" and to the right the "Lubricator"

UserPostedImage

Close view of the "Centre Stud Lubricator"

Visit my Tips section for further details. A small video is included to show the cleaning process.

http://members.ozemail.c...ossstew/rms/marklin.html

I hope you find it useful.
Ross

Ross
Offline steventrain  
#29 Posted : 27 July 2008 12:16:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good.

I hope Marklin should production the Track cleaning wagon.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline al_pignolo  
#30 Posted : 27 July 2008 12:38:46(UTC)
al_pignolo

Hi Steven. You surely still know, but Marklin still produces a cleaning wagon (#46042) even if it has a more classical concept.
There is also a version of this car sold in exclusive by Conrad (Conrad # 243341-88)
But I never heard of a lubrication wagon!!! Congratulations Ross!
Pietro
Offline steventrain  
#31 Posted : 27 July 2008 13:28:30(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by al_pignolo
<br />Hi Steven. You surely still know, but Marklin still produces a cleaning wagon (#46042).
Pietro

What about centre stud?
Offline Ross  
#32 Posted : 28 July 2008 02:24:13(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Steven, Pietro and All,

Thanks for your comments. I came up with these solutions to the problems I have been having with my 20 year old track which has seen less running of late as I have been putting more time into John's layout and hence I haven't been using my trains as often.

I would only recommend this solution when it is required. The lubricator could be used to prepare track which isn't going to be used for awhile to help inhibit corrosion.

As far as I know many companies make track cleaning wagons, but none make anything to maintain the centre studs.

Ross

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
Very good.

I hope Marklin should production the Track cleaning wagon.

Originally posted by al_pignolo
Hi Steven. You surely still know, but Marklin still produces a cleaning wagon (#46042) even if it has a more classical concept.
There is also a version of this car sold in exclusive by Conrad (Conrad # 243341-88)
But I never heard of a lubrication wagon!!! Congratulations Ross!
Pietro

Originally posted by steventrain
What about centre stud?
Ross
Offline bobhunt2  
#33 Posted : 31 July 2008 09:26:46(UTC)
bobhunt2

Ross, thanks for the latest instalment - the stud cleaner, which I now have under construction.

I notice in your PDF that you use Electrolube as the cleaner and I wondered how it might compare with Wahl hair clipper oil which I have seen recommended elsewhere?

Bob
Offline kimballthurlow  
#34 Posted : 31 July 2008 14:10:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Ron,
I run my trains regularly (longest a month apart), and I have the same experience, after a few rounds of the track, everything functions properly. Lighted coaches start off flickering, but settle down to a steady glow after about twenty rounds.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Ross  
#35 Posted : 01 August 2008 04:09:33(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Bob and Kim,
See comments below in blue.
Ross
Quote:
<br />Ross, thanks for the latest instalment - the stud cleaner, which I now have under construction.
I have cleaned all my layout now and it is running very well.

I notice in your PDF that you use Electrolube as the cleaner and I wondered how it might compare with Wahl hair clipper oil which I have seen recommended elsewhere?
Bob
I have used Electrolube for a long time and find it works very well. The important thing is the oil should be able to conduct power and also form a protective coating on the stud to stop/slow down corrosion

Originally posted by kimballthurlow
Hi Ron,
I run my trains regularly (longest a month apart), and I have the same experience, after a few rounds of the track, everything functions properly. Lighted coaches start off flickering, but settle down to a steady glow after about twenty rounds.
regards
Kimball
Kim, I agree with you, that regular running will maintain the centre studs, but on those less used sections such as sidings some cleaning/protective maintence is required from time to time.
Ross
Offline bobhunt2  
#36 Posted : 01 August 2008 10:05:41(UTC)
bobhunt2

Ross,

Thanks for your response.

I have obtained some contact cleaner from our electrical engineer who in his private capacity is working on fabricating the lubrication car.

I agree with your observations about "regular running". I have set my layout up so that the main lines are used on a timer each day, however as you observe the residual tracks are the problem - which I hope your consist is going to address.

Again my thanks,

Bob
Offline nevw  
#37 Posted : 03 August 2008 02:43:42(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Ross  
#38 Posted : 03 August 2008 04:13:18(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Bob and Nev,
See response below in blue.
Ross

Quote:
<br />Ross,
Thanks for your response.

I have obtained some contact cleaner from our electrical engineer who in his private capacity is working on fabricating the lubrication car.
Bob, I have just discovered that Electrolube has changed its product numbers and when I find out the new number I will quote it here.
EDIT 12-08-08: Hi Bob, John rang the suppliers for Electrolube and they gave EML 200F as the new product number.

I agree with your observations about "regular running". I have set my layout up so that the main lines are used on a timer each day, however as you observe the residual tracks are the problem - which I hope your consist is going to address.
Again my thanks,
Bob
Bob, I glad you are putting theory into practice, it's nice to know my ideas are being refined by others.

Originally posted by nevw
<br />Just saw this this morning....
Nev, this device is for cleaning the rails, not for any centre studs, maybe a different topic wink

Ross
Offline nevw  
#39 Posted : 03 August 2008 04:24:33(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
OK ROSS. thought that as the roller went the width I had a seniors moment and thought that it would clean the studs. of course it wouldn't. it would be too high
Offline Legless  
#40 Posted : 04 August 2008 11:49:24(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
I'm with you Nev. With a slight modification I can see it reaching the centre studs. wink
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
Offline Ross  
#41 Posted : 07 August 2008 11:09:55(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Nev and Mike,
Thanks for your comments, see my comments below in blue.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />OK ROSS......
Anyone over 50 has the odd seniors moment wink
Originally posted by Legless
I'm with you Nev. With a slight modification I can see it reaching the centre studs. wink
Mike, the wheel diameter has to be large so it only lubricates the studs and not the ballast and sleepers. The other problem is that the wheel has to move up and down to go over points and uncouplers. Being a longer car you would also have probelms with the wheel running off the studs in curves
Ross
Offline Rowan  
#42 Posted : 07 August 2008 12:06:08(UTC)
Rowan

Good thread!

Cool
Offline Legless  
#43 Posted : 07 August 2008 16:53:50(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Like your cleaner, the drum could move up and down a vertical guide.
As for polishing the ballast and sleepers I would modify the drum so that it is conical shaped.
That way it would just touch the studs and outer rails.When it go's over points the drum would lift up due to the raised studs soI can't forsee a problem.
Put a body on it eg freight, box, brake or snow plow.
Like your's, it would do the same job.
Just an idea. Smile
Legless
Offline Ross  
#44 Posted : 12 August 2008 06:31:56(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Rowan and Mike,

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Rowan
<br />Good thread!
Cool
Rowan, I'm glad you like it.

Originally posted by Legless
Like your cleaner, the drum could move up and down a vertical guide.
As for polishing the ballast and sleepers I would modify the drum so that it is conical shaped.
That way it would just touch the studs and outer rails.When it go's over points the drum would lift up due to the raised studs soI can't forsee a problem.
Put a body on it eg freight, box, brake or snow plow.
Like your's, it would do the same job.
Just an idea. Smile
Mike, this is all theory. If you are up to the challange could we see a working example please. [:p]

Ross
Ross
Offline Legless  
#45 Posted : 12 August 2008 08:04:55(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
At the moment, unfortunately due to other commitments, it will be have to be near the end of the year.
So until then it's all theory. [V]
Then again maybe someone else maybe up to the challenge. wink
Legless