Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2007 22:39:09(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
While this matter was part of my own layout description, I thought it may have broader appeal, so I have started a new thread.

This system works quite well on a small 8x4 (2.4 x 1.3m) layout, it would no doubt do for something much larger.

Here are pictures of my setup. Please don't give me credit for this engineering masterpiece. It was built and installed by the previous owner of the house, and was used to lift the roof rack and commodities for the top of his 4-wheel-drive. I could not believe my luck when I first inspected the house, knowing immediately how I would use it.

This view shows the winding lever, and ratchet mechanism, above the east side of the layout, with ropes attached to south and north ends. There are 4 ropes, to 4 corners, and each winds on the common winding bar. The layout can be lifted to the ceiling, so that a vehicle can be parked inside the garage space. If you check the plan-views of the layout, you can see the ropes attach to straight bars, which lift under the layout.
UserPostedImage

This picture is above the west side of the layout, and shows the pulleys used at each of the four corners, and the main winding bar.
UserPostedImage

The vertical ropes are attached to straight 1" x 1" (25x25mm) bars, one bar at the south end, and one bar at the north end. These rods lift the layout without being physically attached to the layout.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline dntower85  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2007 23:02:58(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Hi Kimball,
Here is some photos of my lifted layout.

All though these are bad photos I have at least got them posted

I have a spreader bar with the winch cable attached to it.
UserPostedImage
Same bar, this also keeps the mountains from being driven into the ceiling, the winch has an automatic shut off that is activated by the pully
UserPostedImage
I also have some tie-downs attached to some bicycle hangers to distribute the weight and prevent the layout from tipping.
UserPostedImage
Hanging just above the car you see the other tie-down and the winch control, the only drawback is both winches have to be run at the same time.
UserPostedImage
To sit the layout on the saw horses I do have to swing the layout away from the wall in order to clear my work bench, but it that is not two hard.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2007 10:27:11(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good, dntower85.

Thanks for sharing.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.