Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2018 16:06:20(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, I know Italy has a different overhead voltage, but which Marklin Swiss or Austrian locos run under Italian wires. I know they must be multi voltage. Will the BLS vectron run on the FS network? Thanks Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2018 16:38:10(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi- most the newer freight locomotives are set up for this. Traxx, Vectron(?) etc.

In terms of passenger trains that list thins, and starts leaning towards EMUs. There is the ETR 610, which seems to be the primary source of swiss-italian traffic in my recent european travels. Also on a more local scale the Flirt and similar commuter EMU's I think go across borders. Otherwise I'm assuming it is still locomotive swaps at the borders, but I haven't been on a train to/from Italy in ages that did so. My last few years and ~dozen crossings between Italy and CH have all been ETR 610 regardless of the route. Austria-Italy I haven't done in a decade so I'm less sure.

Hope this helps
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2018 17:04:48(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Here is a list of multisystem equipment used by OBB or SBB that run in Italy:

SBB (Passenger):
ETR 470 (Cisalpino) now retired by SBB
RABe 503 (ETR 610) so-called Cisalpino Due (also includes FS ETR 610 trainsets used on routes to Zuerich, Basel, Geneva and into Germany)
RABe 524 (Flirt type trainsets) used by TILO
RAe 1053 (TEE II) Historic (famous Gottardo trainset). I recall reading that it's Italy approval was at some point restored.

SBB Cargo:
Re 474 (ES 64 F4)
Re 484 (Traxx MS)
LokRoll 193 (Vectron)
CB Rail 186 (Traxx MS2) acquired when SBB took over operations in CH/IT from Crossrail
MRCE ES64F4 SBBC leased a number of these locomotives
ELL 193 (Vectron) SBBC leased a few of these locomotives that are approved for D-A-CH-I-NL

Hupac: The new 193 (Vectron) should be approved for Italy

BLS Cargo:
Re 486 (Traxx MS2)
Re 475 (Vectron)
RailPool 186 (leased)

OBB:
The OBB Vectron should eventually be Italy capable
The OBB Taurus (1216) is authorized for Italy. This should eventually allow for the operation of the RailJet consists into Italy.
There has been a reduction in the number of EC trains on the Brenner route to and from Italy. There used to be a number of trains, some FS, some DBAG and some OBB on that route. I think that there are still a few that run Milan to Munich, but the ones that used to run further into Germany may have been dropped. I think that the single daily train to Vienna via Tarvisio is still in operation. Travellers connect to the DBAG IC/ICE network in Munich.

Here is a list of EC trains on the Brenner and the Pontebbana (Udine-Tarvisio-Villach) routes from 2001 (Source BahnProfil #23):
Brenner:
EC Paganini Verona-Brenner-Dortmund
EC Garda Milano-Brenner-Munich
EC Val Gardena Verona-Brenner-Munich
EC Michelangelo Rome-Milano-Brenner-Munich
EC Tiepolo Venice-Brenner-Munich
EC Leonardo DaVinci Milano-Brenner-Munich

Pontebbana:
EC Romulus Rome-Venice-Tarvisio-Vienna

Private Operators
A number of private operators lease or bought locomotives that can run in Switzerland or Austria and Italy (Bombardier Traxx or Siemens Euro Sprinter).
Those that cannot usually change locomotives at border stations (Chiasso/Domodossola/Brenner/Tarvisio/etc) or pass off the consist to a partner operator.

Of note, Trenitalia Cargo has acquired control over TX Logistics, which will enable FS to enter Cargo operations in other countries.

The LokRoll, ELL and BLS Cargo Vectrons are all slated for Italy approval. I do not know if any of them have been officially homologated and are active in Italy.

Here is a list that mentions some things that SBB trains have run into (in Italy and elsewhere):
https://de.wikipedia.org...er_Zügen_im_Ausland

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 23 April 2018 23:44:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline danmarklinman  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2018 17:19:16(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Thanks Mike, that’s really great, your a wealth of useful knowledge.
Cheers 🍻
The Gottardo is on my list. As is the Marklin Vectron for BLS. Marklin will be doing the G2000 out next year for a private operator and a 193 last year. The Vectron in the BLS livery is very nice though. I have a Marklin Vectron for SNCB which runs very well . As good as any loco I have ever had and with sound for a great priceLove
Basically I would recommend one 👍. Although it is lighter in weight than I expected.
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2018 23:56:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was just reading today about a new service called Schweizerzug, which will operate Cargo services (UKV/KLV) from Rotterdam to Switzerland in partnership with BLS Cargo.
From what I gather, there will be service from Rotterdam and Niederglatt and Frenkendorf via a terminal in Neuss (near Cologne, Germany). There will be a connecting route from Frenkendorf to Italy under the name Hannibal European Gaterail (Contship).

https://schweizerzug.com/

Here's a BLS Lok with a Schweizerzug Advert: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/126584084@N05/25667958597/

Regards

Mike C

Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2018 07:56:07(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Take a close look at the models you have and check for the "I" on the UIC table:
UserPostedImage
This loco shows the VL configuration of the ES 64 F4:
UserPostedImage

The images shows an MRCE ES 64 F4 rented by SBB.

In 1:1:
UserPostedImage
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline danmarklinman  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:54:35(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Thanks Tom. Great bit of info 👍
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline BR01097  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2018 00:33:14(UTC)
BR01097

United States   
Not Swiss or Austrian, but this Märklin model of a 1966 multi-phase locomotive off the Belgian rails seems like an elegant solution. On my layout, all Swiss, German, and Austrian locomotives use conventional A/C in the catenary, while a HAMO version of the Italian E434 means I throw a knife switch to change catenary to direct current. Can't really get more prototypical than that. Laugh
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I know Italy has a different overhead voltage, but which Marklin Swiss or Austrian locos run under Italian wires. I know they must be multi voltage. Will the BLS vectron run on the FS network? Thanks Dan
Europe_rail_electrification.svg.png15221687730_3a3bf685a6_b.jpg

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BR01097
Offline mario54i  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2018 11:41:57(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Originally Posted by: BR01097 Go to Quoted Post
Not Swiss or Austrian, but this Märklin model of a 1966 multi-phase locomotive off the Belgian rails seems like an elegant solution.

As far as I know, the Belgian 1600 had only test runs in Italy. In regular service pulling the 'Freccia del sole' it stopped in Spiez before crossing Lotschberg.
Offline WwMARTZ  
#10 Posted : 17 September 2018 04:02:19(UTC)
WwMARTZ

United States   
BigGrin
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Here is a list of multisystem equipment used by OBB or SBB that run in Italy:

SBB (Passenger):
ETR 470 (Cisalpino) now retired by SBB
RABe 503 (ETR 610) so-called Cisalpino Due (also includes FS ETR 610 trainsets used on routes to Zuerich, Basel, Geneva and into Germany)
RABe 524 (Flirt type trainsets) used by TILO
RAe 1053 (TEE II) Historic (famous Gottardo trainset). I recall reading that it's Italy approval was at some point restored.

SBB Cargo:
Re 474 (ES 64 F4)
Re 484 (Traxx MS)
LokRoll 193 (Vectron)
CB Rail 186 (Traxx MS2) acquired when SBB took over operations in CH/IT from Crossrail
MRCE ES64F4 SBBC leased a number of these locomotives
ELL 193 (Vectron) SBBC leased a few of these locomotives that are approved for D-A-CH-I-NL

Hupac: The new 193 (Vectron) should be approved for Italy

BLS Cargo:
Re 486 (Traxx MS2)
Re 475 (Vectron)
RailPool 186 (leased)

OBB:
The OBB Vectron should eventually be Italy capable
The OBB Taurus (1216) is authorized for Italy. This should eventually allow for the operation of the RailJet consists into Italy.
There has been a reduction in the number of EC trains on the Brenner route to and from Italy. There used to be a number of trains, some FS, some DBAG and some OBB on that route. I think that there are still a few that run Milan to Munich, but the ones that used to run further into Germany may have been dropped. I think that the single daily train to Vienna via Tarvisio is still in operation. Travellers connect to the DBAG IC/ICE network in Munich.

Here is a list of EC trains on the Brenner and the Pontebbana (Udine-Tarvisio-Villach) routes from 2001 (Source BahnProfil #23):
Brenner:
EC Paganini Verona-Brenner-Dortmund
EC Garda Milano-Brenner-Munich
EC Val Gardena Verona-Brenner-Munich
EC Michelangelo Rome-Milano-Brenner-Munich
EC Tiepolo Venice-Brenner-Munich
EC Leonardo DaVinci Milano-Brenner-Munich

Pontebbana:
EC Romulus Rome-Venice-Tarvisio-Vienna

Private Operators
A number of private operators lease or bought locomotives that can run in Switzerland or Austria and Italy (Bombardier Traxx or Siemens Euro Sprinter).
Those that cannot usually change locomotives at border stations (Chiasso/Domodossola/Brenner/Tarvisio/etc) or pass off the consist to a partner operator.

Of note, Trenitalia Cargo has acquired control over TX Logistics, which will enable FS to enter Cargo operations in other countries.

The LokRoll, ELL and BLS Cargo Vectrons are all slated for Italy approval. I do not know if any of them have been officially homologated and are active in Italy.

Here is a list that mentions some things that SBB trains have run into (in Italy and elsewhere):
https://de.wikipedia.org...er_Zügen_im_Ausland

Regards

Mike C

Mike, Thanks for the information!
Can you provide typical consists for passenger operations for OBB/DB behgind Taurus. Railjet and/or Euro Sprinter power for the Munich/Milan route?
Offline fusionfaded  
#11 Posted : 17 September 2018 23:14:56(UTC)
fusionfaded

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: WwMARTZ Go to Quoted Post
BigGrin
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

Mike, Thanks for the information!
Can you provide typical consists for passenger operations for OBB/DB behgind Taurus. Railjet and/or Euro Sprinter power for the Munich/Milan route?

I'm not Mike, but as far as I know there are no direct trains between Munich and Milan anymore. The Austrians operate trains from Munich to Verona (IIRC some of them further to Bologna, Rimini or Venice).
The typical EC over the Brenner is pulled by a ÖBB Rh 1216 and conists of: A bunch of Bmz73 and Bmpz73, a WRmz73, a ADbmpsz73 and a Amz73 (Direction Verona).

The railjet route is from Vienna to Venice, via Udine. It's pulled by a Rh 1216 in Railjet livery and is pretty much a normal railjet train. The only special thing is that the control car is (or was) not allowed to be used, so the locomotive always has to pull the train.

https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/ is were you can find a overview over most international trains, albeit they have not at lot of historical data.