Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Falconrep  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2007 19:25:22(UTC)
Falconrep

United States   
Being based in Oklahoma USA, I don't have any Marklin Dealers nearby. The closest is in Nothwestern Arkansas and this dealer has minimal new stock. So I finally got back east to my favorite Marklin store, I think it's now called the Time MAchine in Manchester CT. This place is a train collectors dream. Not only most all the Marklin, new and old but every other kind of model train of every scale, even the HO live steamer from Hornby. The only NON marklin I still twitch at when I'm there. But this isn't supposed to be an add for my favorite Marklin store.
I have seen comments here about Marklin making items in China, and it bothered me that I couldn't tell. Ther were several items that I think I saw here that were supposed to have been made in China, but until I was at the store I couldn't see what Marklin had done, or had been forced to do. I noticed that the original boxes have a cheap sticker pasted over wher it used to say made in Germany. I bought a 37973 UP Light Mikado while I was there and almost bought the UP Cattle Car set but at $160 for 3 cars made in China, I balked. They looked nice enough, and I want Marklin to make a profit and stay in business, but you can't tell me that these cars are worth $160 anymore. The only reason I didn't add this purchase was the "made in China" on them.
This begs a couple questions:
1) Do the cars themselves now say Made in China? The underframes of many Marklin products state Made in Germany on hte product itself.
2) Is there a difference in the quality of the product, ie are the Chinese products painted with lead paint? Who monitors this?
3) Are Marklin products worth continuing with if they will eventually ALL come from China?
4) Does anyone know if there is a listing of Marklin products that are coming from China.
If not is this the forum where we should start a thread that lists Chinese products so that people ordering on-line would have a listing of these products to refer to prior to receiving them and being disappointed that they were not "True" Marklin any longer.
As it was I came home, found a couple old cattle cars that were probably "Made in China" and have started to convert them to Marklin with old wheel sets I have laying around and spare Marklin couplers.
Thanks in advance
Thomas Wondrock
Offline Hemmerich  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2007 21:20:24(UTC)
Hemmerich

The only thing I ever saw in this context (Märklin HO) were TRIX HO products and they were apparently intended for "U.S. model railroad fans", i.e. for RP25. It's a known fact since several years. Changing the wheelsets and couplings if needed is a very common practice (#700150 usually fits to most of those wheels).

UserPostedImage

There must be some reason behind that - maybe Mr. GWB and his "trading strategy" with the PRC. BTW: I've seen more products offered in the U.S. being "Made in China" than in every other country. [}:)]
Frankly - I could almost not care less about who buys what from where! biggrin
Offline monster134  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2007 21:48:21(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
I dont get it.Gone are the days that chinese toys and stuff were plastic little non-descript no name brands which slightly resembles a Ferrari....

Most of my American truck parts are from China in fact.And dare i say it,the new mirrors and wheel trim have better chrome than what the originals had.

My point is,i dont give a rat's ass if it was made in the disc world,if it performs right and looks right,im happy.

Having said that,looking at the mould marks on my 600 euro BR45.....i just might prefer a fresh chinese mould.biggrin
If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
Offline stephenbb  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2007 22:48:18(UTC)
stephenbb

More chrome and lots of lead....
Stephen(USA)
ETE,NMRA,MEA
Offline monster134  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2007 23:11:03(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by stephenbb
<br />More chrome and lots of lead....

Im not enviromentally educated.Whats the problem with lead?
If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
Offline MärCo  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2007 23:28:05(UTC)
MärCo

Lead is a poisonous metal that can damage nervous connections (especially in young children) and cause blood and brain disorders. Long term exposure to lead or its salts (especially soluble salts or the strong oxidant PbO2) can cause nephropathy, and colic-like abdominal pains. The concern about lead's role in cognitive deficits in children has brought about widespread reduction in its use (lead exposure has been linked to schizophrenia). The majority of cases of adult elevate blood lead levels are workplace-related.
Many older houses may still contain substantial amounts of lead paint. White lead paint has been withdrawn from sale in industrialized countries, but the yellow lead chromate is still in use; for example, Holland Colours Holcolan Yellow. It is generally recommended that old paint should not be stripped by sanding, as this generates inhalable dust.
Lead salts used in pottery glazes have on occasion caused poisoning, when acid drinks, such as fruit juices, have leached lead ions out of the glaze.[citation needed] It has been suggested that what was known as "Devon colic" arose from the use of lead-lined presses to extract apple juice in the manufacture of cider. Lead is considered to be particularly harmful for women's ability to reproduce. For that reason many universities do not hand out lead-containing samples to women for instructional laboratory analyses.[citation needed] Lead acetate (also known as sugar of lead) was used by the Roman Empire as a sweetener for wine, and some consider this to be the cause of the dementia which affected many of the Roman Emperors.
Lead as a soil contaminant is a widespread issue, since lead may enter soil through (leaded) gasoline leaks from underground storage tanks or through a wastestream of lead paint or lead grindings from certain industrial operations.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline cjh26  
#7 Posted : 28 October 2007 23:29:00(UTC)
cjh26

United States   
Keep building them in Germany. This in part is what I believe adds to the value and makes them of intrest for the collector.

Carl
Offline monster134  
#8 Posted : 29 October 2007 00:52:12(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by MärCo
<br />Lead is a poisonous metal that can damage nervous connections (especially in young children) and cause blood and brain disorders. Long term exposure to lead or its salts (especially soluble salts or the strong oxidant PbO2) can cause nephropathy, and colic-like abdominal pains. The concern about lead's role in cognitive deficits in children has brought about widespread reduction in its use (lead exposure has been linked to schizophrenia). The majority of cases of adult elevate blood lead levels are workplace-related.
Many older houses may still contain substantial amounts of lead paint. White lead paint has been withdrawn from sale in industrialized countries, but the yellow lead chromate is still in use; for example, Holland Colours Holcolan Yellow. It is generally recommended that old paint should not be stripped by sanding, as this generates inhalable dust.
Lead salts used in pottery glazes have on occasion caused poisoning, when acid drinks, such as fruit juices, have leached lead ions out of the glaze.[citation needed] It has been suggested that what was known as "Devon colic" arose from the use of lead-lined presses to extract apple juice in the manufacture of cider. Lead is considered to be particularly harmful for women's ability to reproduce. For that reason many universities do not hand out lead-containing samples to women for instructional laboratory analyses.[citation needed] Lead acetate (also known as sugar of lead) was used by the Roman Empire as a sweetener for wine, and some consider this to be the cause of the dementia which affected many of the Roman Emperors.
Lead as a soil contaminant is a widespread issue, since lead may enter soil through (leaded) gasoline leaks from underground storage tanks or through a wastestream of lead paint or lead grindings from certain industrial operations.

Well,im not planning to eat the locos just yet.Or inhale them,or sand them.

And too much milk isnt good for you either.wink
Offline sebastian  
#9 Posted : 29 October 2007 02:08:57(UTC)
sebastian

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by monster134

It all comes to touching the paint. In extremely small amounts, the paint comes off and remains on your fingers. From here, it can enter your digestive system and so on. wink
DRG, DB and SBB
Era II, III and IV
Sincerely,
Sebastian
Offline Falconrep  
#10 Posted : 29 October 2007 04:47:17(UTC)
Falconrep

United States   
It appears tha twith the excpetion of a couple people, the community seems to be OK with the Global mentality. I'm not against the move to china if that translated into better pricing for the end consumer. I understand the need for a company to remain profitable, it's just that I'm not convinced that any of you will be willing to fork out big $ for a "collectible" model that came from China ten years from now. Maybe I'm wrong.
Thomas Wondrock
Offline monster134  
#11 Posted : 29 October 2007 10:22:44(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by sebastian
<br />
Quote:

It all comes to touching the paint. In extremely small amounts, the paint comes off and remains on your fingers. From here, it can enter your digestive system and so on. wink

Ok,so me aquiring that turntable.....probably saved my life.biggrin

Im off to get some gloves.Hell,and i thought i left a life threatening hobby behind.
Offline trainbuff  
#12 Posted : 29 October 2007 12:42:34(UTC)
trainbuff

"Made in Germany" was part of the reason I choose Marklin.

I like my tequila made in Mexico, my whiskey made in Tennesse, my beef jerky made in Texas, my VW made in Germany, my Dodge made in USA, my Ruger made in USA, my Mauser made in Germany, etc. Oh yeah, let me give a couple to China, tea and silk.

Nothing against China, I just want to buy chinese products from China and german products from Germany.
Offline monster134  
#13 Posted : 29 October 2007 12:48:58(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by trainbuff
<br />"Made in Germany" was part of the reason I choose Marklin.

I like my tequila made in Mexico, my whiskey made in Tennesse, my beef jerky made in Texas, my VW made in Germany, my Dodge made in USA, my Ruger made in USA, my Mauser made in Germany, etc. Oh yeah, let me give a couple to China, tea and silk.

Nothing against China, I just want to buy chinese products from China and german products from Germany.

Many moons ago,when i was young and attractive,i dated a chinese exchange student. Trust me,ive got absolutely nothing against the Chinese either.biggrinbiggrin

I think part of the mystery around this woman, was that we had no clue what the other was saying. I can recommend this for any relationship.....

Offline monster134  
#14 Posted : 29 October 2007 12:50:49(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
And btw...beef jerky from Texas....gmmmffff.I should send you some South African biltong.There is no turning back.
Offline john black  
#15 Posted : 29 October 2007 15:38:27(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi Thomas Smile - very good topic, agree with you 100% (any wonder - we are of the same age biggrin)
Well, since M's management denies China production a little sorting of facts will help ...

Fact #1: M's new owners are investment bankers.
Fact #2: M fired lots of their long-time workers in Germany.
Fact #3: M did away with "Made in Germany" on locos, cars etc. No clue, anymore.
Fact #4: M boxes destined for the EC read: Nothing at all (just like on locos).
Fact #5: M boxes destined for the USA read: "Made in China".

<u>Conclusio</u>:
All new M stuff comes from China. Never mind - if quality is o.k. and pricetags reasonable.
However, there is no significant collectors value with them. But they are great for playing.
Like our great collector Alberto once stated: "The new ones lost their soul ..."

Saying that I'll continue buying some of the nicer premium Marklins - cos I like them ...
But I hate it if some chicken & noodle managers try to keep their paying customers in the dark [}:)]
Thinking they were more clever than us ... CoolCoolCool

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline rschaffr  
#16 Posted : 29 October 2007 15:59:03(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
If, in fact, much of the production is shifted to China and the landed cost of production (i.e. including transportation/customs charges to Germany) is significantly less than producing the items in Germany, I feel that the end price should decrease, still allowing for a reasonable profit margin. If these bankers are using this ploy to reap a large return on their investment and just looking at the short term, I fear for the future of the brand. The geopolitical issues involved (human rights, environmental standards in production, child/forced labor, etc) involved in this shifting of production are a concern of mine but not really a topic for this forum. One would hope that the owners have enough sense to maintain the quality of product that the brand is known for, however.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 29 October 2007 16:23:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I expect most of their product is bought by customers who dont really care about where it is made. Enthusiasts like ourselves have a feeling for the brand which is disappearing fairly quickly. I do believe however that the business will progress but possibly not to our liking.
I think HAG and Fleischmann still manufacture in their own countries and with HAG making excellent metal locos and Fleischmann some good coaches all is not lost for those who only wish to buy German or Swiss Made models.
The end price will not decrease and I would expect an increase early next year.
For us older guys I am sure there will still be plenty of good stuff to buy for many years to come.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#18 Posted : 29 October 2007 16:43:59(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Quote:
<br />And btw...beef jerky from Texas....gmmmffff.I should send you some South African biltong. There is no turning back.

ah yes, I make my own now too. We started in 2001 and now have it perfected...
http://doings.mixmox.com/1/20010902Biltongmaker
http://doings.mixmox.com/1/20010903MakingBiltong
http://doings.mixmox.com/1/secondbatch
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline john black  
#19 Posted : 29 October 2007 16:54:59(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />I expect most of their product is bought by customers who dont really care about where it is made. Enthusiasts like ourselves have a feeling for the brand which is disappearing fairly quickly. I do believe however that the business will progress but possibly not to our liking.

David: An important point, my friend - I do believe the very same, alas. The end of an era ...
With genuine German craftsmanship gone - M's business in the collectors market will disappear
(the very same happened to SCHUCO) [:(] ... But hopefully increase, heavily, with the kids SmileSmileSmile

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline sebastian  
#20 Posted : 29 October 2007 17:42:42(UTC)
sebastian

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />I expect most of their product is bought by customers who dont really care about where it is made. Enthusiasts like ourselves have a feeling for the brand which is disappearing fairly quickly. I do believe however that the business will progress but possibly not to our liking.

David: An important point, my friend - I do believe the very same, alas. The end of an era ...
With genuine German craftsmanship gone - M's business in the collectors market will disappear
(the very same happened to SCHUCO) [:(] ... But hopefully increase, heavily, with the kids SmileSmileSmile

The most saddening aspect of it is that there is a strong tendency of shifting production in foreign countries and leave your own labour force sit on the bench - how many people have been forced to look for a new job due to this trend of outsourcing production all over the place? I have nothing against some parts being made elsewhere, like the couplers, some plastic parts or stuff like that, but the main production/assembly shall not be left for outsiders. Same happens in the IT field, but this is another discussion which does not belong here. Besides that, the customers also suffer because they do believe in the quality and the tradition of the products whether we are talking about trains or cars. It is tempting of course to make more money in a short term period, but we have got to know Maerklin for its outstanding quality and that was made in Germany not in China. If I wish to buy quality chinese crap, I go to any chain store here in Canada and get that. But I chose to get something that will last, it is well designed and well made, it is safe to play with, will not break when least expected etc. that's why we are paying a premium for Maerklin products, to be sure that we get quality in our hands. In the end, it is the customers who will decide what works for them and what not. And with this hobby being so addictive, we know already what the end result will be. biggrinbiggrin In the mean time, let's enjoy our trains and try to have a blast everytime we drive those locos around the layout.
DRG, DB and SBB
Era II, III and IV
Sincerely,
Sebastian
Offline Falconrep  
#21 Posted : 30 October 2007 02:29:58(UTC)
Falconrep

United States   
Thanks to all, I think I got all the answers I was looking for. I found it interesting that the EU community does not require labeling for country of origin. as the comment was made that boxes of EU Marklin had no country of origin on them. I also noticed some time back htat the Harry Potter train was stated as made in China but also noticed on boxes imported into the US that they said Made in germany, this, I think was a violation of US import laws, but I'm not a lawyer. The U.S. is supposed to require a country to place it's origin on the item, only items made within the US, or in some cases imported into the USVI and assembled there, are exempt from this identification. If the company wants to say made in the USA they are allowed of course.
I guess that I'm of the opinion that if hte investment bankers want to make a ton of money, let them, but I thank you all for allowing me to decide to discontinue the purchase of and "new" Marklin products. I really have enough anyway. Last count (with the new 37973) is 106 locomotives, and hundreds of cars and thousands of feet on "M" track. I can quit now... biggrin
I guess I'll concentrate on getting myself a 3371 ICE train and leave it at that.
Thomas Wondrock
Offline john black  
#22 Posted : 30 October 2007 03:13:40(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Falconrep
<br />I really have enough anyway. Last count (with the new 37973) is 106 locomotives,
and hundreds of cars and thousands of feet on "M" track. I can quit now ... biggrin

Interesting point of view, Thomas. How much is really enough ... confusedconfusedconfused

Well, my loco count is "only" half of yours - but I can't say I weren't totally happy
with my small collection (except for a very few classics I must get, still) Smile

So I, too, will enjoy what I have. Perhaps less can be more (if memory serves 7gauges stated this).
And M's latest development makes such thoughts easy ...

Thank you,
John

Offline Will  
#23 Posted : 30 October 2007 04:07:13(UTC)
Will

United States   
Guess my main concern is that quality remains high, and if more plastic used (bleh) and money saved on labor costs, then it should allow me to buy more M for my money. I think charging a premium for a product no longer made in a custom fashion will hurt M if they are not careful. M is known for being expensive, but many an American hobbyist who said that after I told them I ran Marklin models, followed it with acknowledgement of the fine quality.
Offline trainbuff  
#24 Posted : 30 October 2007 04:30:20(UTC)
trainbuff

Hey Monster134,

That's a funny story about the chinese girl. The moral of the story: the less I know about Marklin the better our relationship! I should stop reading this forum and just enjoy working on my (unbeknown to me) chinese layout.

Later...
Offline monster134  
#25 Posted : 30 October 2007 10:18:04(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Ok guys,serious now, and the fact that im a complete noob when it comes to model trains, these are my limited experience so far:

When i bought the Bellingrodt BR45,the local stockist had 2 in stock.There was a deposit on the other 1 but the guy didnt pitch at the time so i was lucky.With my luck, the 1 i originally took(top boxbiggrin) wouldnt run at all.It went back to Germany and i took the other 1.

Now,the stockist assured me this is the first time something like that happened.And we all know **** happens.BUT,mine has flickering headlights,and it needs perfect track,clean and fairly even,otherwise it just stops.Irritates me no end.Now compared to my 1999 class 10 streamliner,its chalk and cheese.The class 10 will go anywhere,has a non-excistant boiler seam and just looks better imo.

Compared to my new 39010 as well,the sound is better on the older class 10 and it has less traction than the class 10.Weird.

Yes,the older ones run more noisily,but at least they run.There is a "nothing-can-stop-me" feeling with the old locos.

Nothing irritates me more than a train losing its sound mid track or just stopping.Especially if none of the older mfx ones do it.

So in a way,i can relate to what the purists say.
Offline RayF  
#26 Posted : 30 October 2007 10:42:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It depends on what you call "purist" I suppose. If you are talking about traditional Marklin metal quality, about half my locos are made of plastic, and these are from the 60's and 70's, so there is no "China" involvement. Does that make them any less Marklin?

Just think about it, the Br89, 24, 74, V60, 212, 103, 120, 111, and many others which are all part of Marklin history are all made of plastic. I don't think anyone can say they are not proper Marklin.

Don't worry, all you prophets of doom, the world will not end just because Marklin change their working practises. Let's take each new model on its own merits and judge them on their performance and looks. I, for one, quite like many of the new products, and contrary to what I read here, they are actually cheaper than some of the models from the recent past.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline monster134  
#27 Posted : 30 October 2007 11:03:30(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Ok,but its hard for me to warm to the new ones.Imo,i reckon a class44 with the 5 pole motor and 2 pick-up shoes,with the detailing of the new BR45 and the finish of the old one...will be the perfect loco.

For instance, why do i catch that old converted Borsig on the track so often?Cos it goes well,2 smokers and nothing stops it.I have a couple of mean grades,and the old 44 and the Borsig sails up there.

Hehehehe,i love those old 44's.Nothing(big boy included)is so effortless with a track cleaner behind it......
Offline Falconrep  
#28 Posted : 31 October 2007 01:48:00(UTC)
Falconrep

United States   
Lots of things both ways here. The thing I think is most disturbing is the way a lot of the "newer" Marklin are reported to malfunction right out of the box. Chinese or otherwise. Is that the "Bill Gates" mentality where you let your customer base be your quality control? With Marklin, what do you think happens to the defective locos that are returned?
As for the comment on cost, I'm not sure where we get the idea that the switch to China reduced the prices. I just bought a 37973 Light Mikado which had a US retail price tag on it of $659.98. While I got it for a bit less, I can't see that this locomotive would have been worth that but it did at least say Made in Germany on the box.
I'll need to get in town long enough to do a test run to see if it has any/many of the defects I've read about.
Again thanks for all the informative comments, especially the one on what lead can do.
Thomas Wondrock
Offline sudibarba  
#29 Posted : 31 October 2007 03:18:59(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
We should all send an email to Marklin and tell them that we expect a reduction in prices to share in their cost reduction in going to China. I am in manufacturing and that is what our customers tell us. This whole trend is simply redistributing wealth to China at the expense of our work force. I am no communist - actually a hard core conservative capitalist. But, China artificially controls their exchange rate as well as manipulates the cost of raw materials used for export. Not to mention the labor rates. This will change. How long do you think the workers in China will keep making these items for export they cannot buy themselves. Anyway, Marklin , I want a cut of the action by way of price reduction.
Eric
Offline Falconrep  
#30 Posted : 31 October 2007 04:10:36(UTC)
Falconrep

United States   
Not being one that believes in moritoriums, I wonder what the impact of everyone in this user group uniting and telling Marklin that until we see comensurate pricing changings that reflect their manufacturing decisions, we would not be purchasing ANY marklin As I see it, ther would be several groups, thise that would go for it, those that would say they would go for it and still buy Marklin, those that wouldn't go for it and those that would feel that those of us that have sufficient Marklin were just being childish. The question is could this one group exert enough any "REAL" economic pressure on this huge toy maker. I would doubt it.
I realize that some of you are OK with paying top dollar for a toy that should cost you less because of the method it is produced, I have never had the disposable income for toys that I would like, still I have been able to garner a pretty large collection of trains. But if I'm going to be forced into a decision between Bachmann (no insult intended here) and Marklin I'm going to have to go with I can get a lot more Bachmann for my $ than I can Marklin and in the end, (don't shoot me here! :-) ) these are just toys!!!
But if ther is someone that is an organizer and needs names for a carefully worded letter to the Brothers Maerklin, add my name to the list...I've made my decision and I'm done with Marklin at least the new stuff coming from China.
Thomas Wondrock
Offline RayF  
#31 Posted : 31 October 2007 10:20:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm sure I've posted this comment before, but I still think it's appropriate.

Have you (all the above posters) noticed that it only seems to be the North American forum members who have such strong feelings about production in China? I think the reasons are more political than anything else, but of course we should not talk about politics in this forum.

I will continue to enjoy my Marklin trains. All the "out of box" failures we've been seeing recently seem to come from the decoder manufacturer. Perhaps we should be criticising them!

Ray
Ray
Offline Laffe  
#32 Posted : 31 October 2007 10:51:01(UTC)
Laffe

Isn't Bachmann also made in China?
/Laffe
---
Wargamer, Roleplayer, Proud Father and Born-again Model Railroader
Offline viragoLDR  
#33 Posted : 31 October 2007 11:27:01(UTC)
viragoLDR

Bachmann is made in China yes, but Bachmann is about 1/5th of the price of Marklin =)
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline nevw  
#34 Posted : 31 October 2007 11:36:27(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Good Quality comes out of China IF the buyer insists.
THerefore I do Not think we have to worry about Marklin being made in China. THe important thing is assembled by Marklin.
N.
N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Hemmerich  
#35 Posted : 31 October 2007 11:53:38(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by sudibarba
<br />We should all send an email to Marklin and tell them that we expect a reduction in prices to share in their cost reduction in going to China.

Nice joke!!! Cool
Offline Hemmerich  
#36 Posted : 31 October 2007 12:07:57(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black

My response to that:

Fact #1: M's previous owners took (too) much money out of the company's profits, leaving insufficient budget for neccessary reinvestments.
Fact #2: M had to release excess workforces in order to avoid bancrupcy and align production to a major drop in sales (see also #1).
Fact #3: Worldwide customers get their products "Made by Märklin"
Fact #4: All new M boxes read: "Märklin, Stuttgarter Str. 55-57, 73033 Göppingen, Germany".
Fact #5: Only some M boxes destined for the USA read: "Made in China". In Europe and HO models this applies so far only to a few TRIX products.

<u>Conclusio</u>:
The claim that All new M stuff comes from China is simply a lie! [}:)]

Note: after feedback changed sentence 2 in #5 above.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#37 Posted : 31 October 2007 12:15:46(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Mr Axel Dietz (head of Marklin) is quoted as saying
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:..... thinks this ... (reducing component suppliers, sourcing more from China) ...will put Märklin in a better position for the future, while maintaining its reputation for quality.
This comes from another current thread, see https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=8298

Note Mr Dietz' emphasis on maintaining Marklin's reputation for quality. Why would he or any company head want to jeopardize this, built up over 140 years? Until confronted with proof that quality is down, there is no need IMHO for panic - we should continue to buy Marklin with confidence.

As for prices being reduced, I would rather deal with a company that maintains the profits to re-invest in new, improved products. If profits are obtained by re-sourcing etc, so be it.

I agree with Lutz - sending complaints emails etc is just a waste of time.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Hemmerich  
#38 Posted : 31 October 2007 12:20:46(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by RayPayas
Have you (all the above posters) noticed that it only seems to be the North American forum members who have such strong feelings about production in China? I think the reasons are more political than anything else, but of course we should not talk about politics in this forum.

Thanks for the "reminder", Ray!!! Smile

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I will continue to enjoy my Marklin trains.

The only thing that is really important and counts - as well for me! winkwinkwink
Offline kimballthurlow  
#39 Posted : 31 October 2007 12:21:24(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
And that is a good point from Nev.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Good Quality comes out of China IF the buyer insists.

Marklin would very much INSIST on the quality standards of their component manufacture in China to maintain their reputation.
Their sourcing will succeed on that basis.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline David Dewar  
#40 Posted : 31 October 2007 12:26:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Ray : very good point with which I fully agree. Decoders are to blame for most faults and they are made by ESU. Changing the supplier would help here.

Kimball : I think it would help if every member receiving a faulty model advised Marklin and hopefully they would take on board that there is a problem and increase quality control.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#41 Posted : 31 October 2007 12:32:59(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi David,
Well I guess there are two facets to this.
1. the faulty article gets returned to the dealer for warranty repair or replacement, or back to Marklin. In both of these cases M* would keep their own statistics (I guess).
2. the fault is somehow repaired by the user, in which case, yes, the user could quite sensibly report the fault to Marklin. I would guess this information would certainly be of use to M*.

regards
Kimball
Offline trainbuff  
#42 Posted : 31 October 2007 12:43:24(UTC)
trainbuff

Quote:
<br />I'm sure I've posted this comment before, but I still think it's appropriate.

I will continue to enjoy my Marklin trains. All the "out of box" failures we've been seeing recently seem to come from the decoder manufacturer. Perhaps we should be criticising them!

Ray

The largest immigrant group in USA is German (National Geographic several years ago). Maybe that is why there are a lot of USA posts on the topic. People travel to Germany, are impressed by the trains, and buy a German train. That's pretty cool. But made in China and it becomes just another toy. Still OK to buy and play with, but not as intriguing or satisfying. Just another toy made in China. We have millions and millions of them. Nothing unique. Next the wooden toys from the Erzgebirge will be made in China? What's the point? Do you travel to China and buy a USA made pair of jeans (as if they were still made here)?

I will still buy Marklin, of course, but if its made in China its just not the same level of satisfaction, but rather a bit disappointing. I guess we better get used to it. I can understand how other people couldn't care less where its made and I'm not arguing with you. I just wanted to explain why maybe some people do feel this way.
Offline intruder  
#43 Posted : 31 October 2007 15:54:22(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hey, take it easy, guys!

Personally I do not care where the Märklin items are made. I do not buy Märklin stuff because it is/was/?? made in Germany. I buy it because I like the 3-rail AC system, the reliable locomotives, solid cars and the good quality.

If making them in a low cost land, to keep the prices at a reasonable level makes the brand name survive, that's OK with me. As long as the quality is as good as before, and as long as Märklin as a brand remains on the market for many years to come.

I must admit, though, that I, from a technical and "home improvement" point of view, like the "old fashion" locomotives with three or five star motors better than the newer ones. The first C-sine generation was also OK.
On the other hand, many of the new models are very rich on details...
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline RayF  
#44 Posted : 31 October 2007 16:03:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I think I'll stop posting in this thread.

Ray
Ray
Offline David Dewar  
#45 Posted : 31 October 2007 16:31:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Oh dear. Why is it that every time a member of this forum posts a report which implies that Marklin is not always wonderful we get this ridiculous carry on with Lutz who appears to be unable to see any problems.
For the past few years we have had problems with faulty locos, Insider Club, and the firm almost went bust. This does not mean we still do not like Marklin. I know I certainly do and I also know that John Black is a great Marklin fan but where there are problems and that includes the move to manufacture either parts or complete locos outside Germany then why should this not be discussed by those who have concerns.
I object to Lutz saying posts are crap...he may not agree with them and has a right to say so but not in this manner.
There is little point in listening to an opinion that can only see one side of things and ignores problems which are obvious to all.

David
Offline stephenbb  
#46 Posted : 31 October 2007 16:49:48(UTC)
stephenbb

Lutz wears rose colored glasses.He keeps up the company line. Everything is beautiful.
Stephen(USA)
ETE,NMRA,MEA
Offline sebastian  
#47 Posted : 31 October 2007 16:55:26(UTC)
sebastian

Canada   
Guys, please don't fight. Play nice. Yes, things can get heated, and a healthy debate/discussion on any topic is actually good, but that doesn't mean we have to draw the swords. That's why we have a forum, so we can talk whatever without being mean to each other. Let's have fun with our toys and enjoy every moment we can.
DRG, DB and SBB
Era II, III and IV
Sincerely,
Sebastian
Offline Hemmerich  
#48 Posted : 31 October 2007 17:19:41(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
<br />I think I'll stop posting in this thread.
Ray

Me too, Ray.

It's of no value to discuss anything with people who are just interested to throw around their "personal garbage" (one of these instances for example was the false statement that Märklin "fired" his employees); such and alike are pure (intentional) discriminating lies!

It's good to see that even Märklin lowered their prices for certain products as it was demanded here (just another very recent example). biggrin

UserPostedImage
Offline Bill Marklin  
#49 Posted : 31 October 2007 18:45:15(UTC)
Bill Marklin

Hi,
Marklin from China ??

Makes my head shake [V]
and a smile [:I]
and then I CRY [:(!]

I think this discribes most of our mixed emotions...

Greetings
Bill
Who's more and more in love with the old stuff...
K-Rail layout wth DC,
Delta Control and C-rail layout with Mobile Station
Offline Hoffmann  
#50 Posted : 31 October 2007 19:47:09(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hi all,

I am somewhat disappointed that this thread has become so ugly.

Please remember that we are all here just nuts about Marklin Trains

and this love of Trains gets us sometimes excited.

Neither John nor Lutz mean any harm, on the one hand John sees the Marklin Boxes with made in China stickers (which is true in North America ) and on the other hand Lutz does not see a made in China Sticker ( which is true in Europe ).

In a previous post I mentioned to Lutz that the Freight Cars # 46451, 46558 as well as the Passenger Cars # 43311,43313 and 43315 were made in China which he did not agree that this was so.

I am sure Lutz was told by someone ( I assume at Marklin )that this was not so.

Which brings us to what this is all about Marklin in Germany will not admit that some of the finished goods are made elsewere.

I can only guess that Marklin is worried that the German Customers will think twice about purchasing a Car or Locomotive which has a made in China sticker on the Box.

I, as a Marklin Dealer do not care where it is made as long as the Quality warrants the Price Marklin is charging.

Sorry for rambling on but I like this Forum with all the Info about Marklin may they be Pro or Con.

Martin
marklin-eh