Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pmgsr  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2007 03:13:10(UTC)
pmgsr

Hi there!

Any help on some signals/semaphores doubts and what is best for my problems would be appreciated.

I'll use some Marklin digital signals on my layout, mainly on the largest station and on the double line. These signal are OK because they have internall decoder and relay (a double one, i think).

I want to use also some viessmann semaphores on a single branch line. I'm thinking on the 4500 and 4502/3. These ones have a relay also, so my first question is: i only have to use a k83 or Vi5211 decoder to change the signal and make the correct connections to the track, from the semaphore, isn't it? (i don't need an extra relay, with these signals?).

But, i also want to use some 4011 signals on my shadow station and on the access track (call me a foul for putting signals on the shadow station, but wanting to put some webcameras on the shadow station, i think that signals would be a nice visual detail - besides it's a small shadow station). With this signals i need an extra relay, isn't it? For digital in need a 5552 (for two signals) and a k83 or Vi5211 for digital control?

Thanks for any help.
Pedro Rosa.
Linda-a-Velha / Lisbon, Portugal.
My Layout (Marklin, C-Track, Digital)
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2007 04:57:06(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Viessmann semaphore signals can be driven with either a k83 or k84 type decoder. Mo extra relay needed.
Viessmann Light signals can be drivene by either a k84 type decoder or their signal module plus a k83 type decoder,
For both k83 and k84 Viessmann make better and cheaper versions than the Märklin ones.

I recently installed about 30 Viessmann signals:
http://layout.mixmox.com/1/Installing-signals

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline pmgsr  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2007 20:22:37(UTC)
pmgsr

Dale, thanks for your answer... still some doubts...

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Viessmann Light signals can be drivene by either a k84 type decoder or their signal module plus a k83 type decoder,
For both k83 and k84 Viessmann make better and cheaper versions than the Märklin ones.

When you say k84 or their signal module, you say i can use a 5224 plus a 5228 for changing track current? Using this two modules goes over 40 Euros, not counting the signal.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
I recently installed about 30 Viessmann signals:
http://layout.mixmox.com/1/Installing-signals

On your image of the modules, what kind of modules are you using?

Thanks.
Pedro Rosa.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2007 00:40:46(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Viessmann offer a signal module that does the correct aspect changing and nice fade out of the lights when they are swithed off - item 5210 - those are what I used.

If you use a 5210 you drive them with k83 type modules.

None of this involves track current. I do not switch any track current off because I am running digitally and switching track current is the analog way of doing things.

The Viessmann semaphore signal has a track current output that you cannotect to track current. Their light signals do not. So if you use a semaphore signal you can use a k83 and it will switch the signal and the signal will switch the track. If you use light signals, you need to switch both the signal and the track ( if you still decide to switch track power on/off) I do not know if you can use a single k84 output to derive both signal and track power. I suppose one can but you will be using track current in the signal, probably ok.

What I suggest is to treat all signals as cosmetic (i.e. they do not control track power) use a computer to stop trains where needed using s88 feedback points to know where the train is.
Dale
Offline pmgsr  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2007 01:23:26(UTC)
pmgsr

Dale,

I'll use computer control in my layout, but for safety (*mainly* on the shadow station) i want to control track current.
What i want is to stop the trains ahead of the signal (with computer software), but have a (maybe single) track in front of the signal that have the current turned off. This is only for safety!

Why? Suppose one is using the layout without computer control? (for several reasons... only testing a train; parking a train at the shadow station; whatever). You know that there are several reasons for using the layout without switching the computer on.

On the layout (besides the shadow station) i haven't decide on switching the track current, maybe in some weeks i have made my mind :-) ... but i understood your point.
Even if i decide not to control the track current i'm thinking in preparing the blocks in front of signals on the track, but connecting all the blocks togheter, so if i decide to use train control in the future i could do it without pulling out the tracks.

Viessmann 5210 can control up to two red/green signals, isn't it?
... so you can use one for each two signals...

But talking about k83 and k84, what you were saying in your previous post was that i could use a k83 to switch the signal and a k84 to switch the track? But for that i think it should be cheaper to use a k83 and a 5552 relay form Viessmann (2 realys in each module).

Thanks once again for your help.
Pedro Rosa.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2007 01:44:42(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes that all sounds right but remember light signals need a k84 unless you use their signal module. So you could use a k84 plus a relay for the track current but you could perhaps wire the track current in parallel to the green aspect using the same k84.
Dale
Offline pmgsr  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2007 02:15:16(UTC)
pmgsr

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />yes that all sounds right but remember light signals need a k84 unless you use their signal module. So you could use a k84 plus a relay for the track current but you could perhaps wire the track current in parallel to the green aspect using the same k84.

Dale, maybe that is not as Viessmann tell us :-)

--- cut here --- from viessmann 5213 manual
If you want to switch signal LED's and the track current for automatic train control, you have to
use two decoders 5213 and set them to the same address. So the outputs with the same number
are switched simultaneously. So you can use one decoder to switch the color light signals
like shown in the diagrams above. The other decoder then can be used for the automatic train
control.
If you want to control digital track power current by the switching contacts of the decoder 5213,
you have to bridge the contacts by a resistor of 1.5k ohms/0.25 watts.This is necessary to ensure
that the locomotive keep the digital information, even when it stops.

--- cut here ---

But i'm not saying that it wouldn't work :-) ... and your way use half the k84 needed :-)
Pedro Rosa.
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2007 03:34:10(UTC)
Webmaster

The 4500:s are straightforward to use, and have a relay onboard so they are just like the old M semaphores with blue/yellow wires for switching and 2 red wires for "main layout" and "signal track" as well as a brown ground wire and a yellow one for ligths. Controlled by k83 & clones in the usual way. Compared to the old M signals, the action is smooth...

The only thing to really consider is the mounting, since the relay is mounted vertically, about 6 cm long, so it protrudes quite a distance into lower levels. The looks of the signal mast is just great...

I myself prefer the "analog" option in most places since sometimes you may want to run your layout, or at least parts of it, without computer control even if you are running digital. In my philosophy it is better to know that a train will stop due to a hard-wired current break rather than relying on the computer to make the decision for the right loco at the right time. But I am a bit oldfashioned, I know...biggrin

A pic of the 4500, including what you don't see in the catalog...
UserPostedImage
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline McLae  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2007 08:52:49(UTC)
McLae

The Viessmann web site has some comprehensive diagrams for wiring. (same as what comes with the signalwink) There are several flavors, so nose around until you find one you can understand.

I generally use one 5551 relay for each signal. This is a 4-pole relay.
1 for the red/green lights, 1 for track power, one for overhead power, and one for the VorSignal on the previous mast (or S88 detection of signal state, or...). One 5211 for each 4 signals.

My last two layouts had ATC set up with circuit tracks. 2-3 trains could run hands-off. (This is before I had enough throttles to run more than two at a time. [:o)])

Best option I have found.
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline pmgsr  
#10 Posted : 13 August 2007 01:37:57(UTC)
pmgsr

Juan,

Quote:
<br />The 4500:s are straightforward to use, and have a relay onboard so they are just like the old M semaphores with blue/yellow wires for switching and 2 red wires for "main layout" and "signal track"

Thanks for the extra info, like said before my problems are most with the light signals.
Like you say the aspect of the semaphores are great and i'm quite confident with the wayt they work, since viessmann is a great signal/catenary maker.

Quote:
I myself prefer the "analog" option in most places since sometimes you may want to run your layout, or at least parts of it, without computer control even if you are running digital. In my philosophy it is better to know that a train will stop due to a hard-wired current break rather than relying on the computer to make the decision for the right loco at the right time. But I am a bit oldfashioned, I know...biggrin

Well, then i'm an oldfashioned 36 years old too biggrin
Like i said to Dale, althought the use of the computer is going to be a great improvement in my layout, sometimes (many times?) i'll do it digitally but i like "security" on my trains, also Smile
Not counting my 7 (almost 8) years old kid that loves trains... so i should count with an extra caution [:I]
Pedro Rosa.
Offline pmgsr  
#11 Posted : 13 August 2007 01:48:41(UTC)
pmgsr

McLae,

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I generally use one 5551 relay for each signal. This is a 4-pole relay.
1 for the red/green lights, 1 for track power, one for overhead power, and one for the VorSignal on the previous mast (or S88 detection of signal state, or...).

Why do you not use the 5552? Just because you need more than a 2-pole relay?
... otherwise you could use a 5552 for each two signals (controlling only the signal and the track). Am i right?

So, as far as i can see you use a 5551 and 1/4 Smile of a 5211 for each signal? That way you don't need any k84?
Pedro Rosa.
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#12 Posted : 13 August 2007 10:35:43(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Yes Pedro, you can use 5551 and 1/4 of 5211, OR 1/2 of 5552 and 1/4 of 5211 in your case.

5210 will give you soft light change, but nothing more as you use 2 aspect signals. With 3-4 aspect signals they the relay control is, well, tricky.

1/2 5210 + a relay in parallell will do the work.

But later 5221 was released, which exactly fits you needs with soft light change AND train control. Still needing 1/4 of 5211 though. Clean wiring, easy to use.

State of the art is 5224+5228 with built in decoder. But as you say, overkill in your case. It allows of soft braking as well, controls any kind of signal 2-3-4 aspects including distant signals, transfers info about home signals to distant signals with the new signal bus etc. Most of which you have no need.

Regards,
/Lars

Offline pmgsr  
#13 Posted : 14 August 2007 00:58:40(UTC)
pmgsr

Thanks Lars for your infos.

I think that the several ways one can deal with light signals from viessmann are so great that i thought on making a sum of all things said before... here it goes.

For what i found out from Viessmann webpage and from the vast knowledge of this forum, i can see the following five solutions that can:
1) Control Viessmann light signals (i.e 4011)
2) Control track current
3) Work with digital control

The five possibilities are (all references from Viessmann):

1) 5551 + 1/4 of 5211 (k83)

2) 1/2 of 5552 + 1/4 of 5211 (k83)

3) 5221 + 1/4 of 5211 (k83)

4) 5224 + 5228 (the new "Viessmann way")

5) 5213 + 5213 (k84) (one for track current, other for signal)

One thing is usually important: costs
So let's look at some numbers based on Lokshop prices.
(it's not my dealer, but it's a well known one Smile)

5211 - 27,65 €
5213 - 43,26 €
5221 - 16,52 €
5224 - 32,00 €
5228 - 9,60 €
5551 - 11,69 €
5552 - 17,80 €

5214 Powermodule - 11,96 €
(this one is an option for powering decoders like 5211).

Let's start adding some numbers [:I]
NOTE: This configurations is for controling track current and for a digital system.

1) 5551 (11,69) + 1/4 of 5211 (6,91)
Total: 18,60 / each signal (w/out signal!)
Gives a 4-pole relay (if you have working catenary or ...)

2) 1/2 of 5552 (8,9) + 1/4 of 5211 (6,91)
Total: 15,81 / each signal (w/out signal!)
Gives a 2-pole relay (one for signal, one for track current)

3) 5221 (16,52) + 1/4 of 5211 (6,91)
Total: 23,43 / each signal (w/out signal!)
Gives soft light change (a good improvement... like the new digital Marklin signals)

4) 5224 (32,00) + 5228 (9,60)
Total: 41,60 / each signal (w/out signal!)
Gives you soft light change and a signal bus, very good for a full signalling system.

5) 1/4 of 5213 (10,81) + 1/4 of 5213 (10,81)
Total: 21,63 / each signal (w/out signal!)
If someone can tell us that only one k84 makes it, please say so! Viessmann does say it needs one for for track current and other one for the signal itself.

Hope that this can be as usefull to others like it was to me wink
Thanks for all your help.

Pedro Rosa.
Offline Hajime  
#14 Posted : 18 August 2007 22:03:31(UTC)
Hajime

Japan   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by pmgsr
<br />
The five possibilities are (all references from Viessmann):

1) 5551 + 1/4 of 5211 (k83)

Hello, all;

This is also possibilitie.biggrin

6) 5023 + 1/4 of 5211 (k83)

http://hilo.tea-nifty.com/MVI_2423.AVI

Offline jkoellmer  
#15 Posted : 09 September 2007 20:30:08(UTC)
jkoellmer

Frustration nearing max! I have a Viessman 4002 light block signal and a Viessmann 5221 control box that I am attempting to make work on my Marklin digital layout. I use an IB and have a LDT QS-DEC-II (k83-like) four-fold decoder. I have hooked up all three units according to the viessmann instructions, although the istructions refer to a Viessmann 5211 decoder. This is the only thing different that I can see. The green and red LEDs on the signal work, the decoder works, but I can't get the aspect to change from Green to Red based upon a digital command from the IB. I have checked, re-checked and checked again all the connections. The LDT decoder works on other devices. The only thing I can't test (or don't know how??) is the 5221. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff
Offline DaleSchultz  
#16 Posted : 09 September 2007 20:59:18(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
reduce the complexity of the problem first.

remove the decoder from the setup and test that the 5221 and signal is correctly connected.
Do this by removing the wires from the decoder to the 5221.
Test the signal and 5221 cnnection by taking a brown ground wire and touching momentarily to the reg or green 5221 inputs. The signal should change. If so then the problem is 'upsteam'.
The decoder should produce a momentary pulse and not a continious current. i.e. type k83 and not type k84.
Dale
Offline jkoellmer  
#17 Posted : 09 September 2007 21:55:07(UTC)
jkoellmer

Dale,
I removed the decoder connections and momentarily touched a ground wire to the red and then green inputs. The signal changes aspect perfectly. I guess this means that my decoder is not commanding properly?? Each leg on the four-fold decoder has three lugs: marked red, nothing (neutral, ground?)) and green. I have one red and one green wire connected from the red and green inputs on the 5221 to the red and green lugs on the decoder. I've tried both with and without a ground wire connected to the grounding lug on the decoder. No luck with either. I'm sure the decoder is good, although I use this leg for an uncoupler track (by holding the corresponding key down). Does that mean its not momentary? The other 3 legs on the decoder are connected to turnout motors on my layout. All continue to work fine??? There is a note in the Viessmann instructions for digital control using their 5211 decoder that puzzles me a bit. It reads "It is important to know that the pulses supplied by the accessory decoder have positive potential (the decoder switches against "+")." Am I using the LDT decoder lugs correctly?
Thanks again.
Jeff
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#18 Posted : 09 September 2007 22:35:02(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

I'm not familiar with the LDT equipment, so make sure that the decoder gives positive pulses, just as the k83 does. All Viessmann, Märklin and Uhlenbrock equipment work with postive pulses (negative on 'yellow', as opposed to for example Lenz.

AC work to, but not negative pulses.

/Lars
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#19 Posted : 09 September 2007 22:37:43(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

OR,
pssobly some grounding error? The 'yellow' from the 5221 should go to the decoder, but as said, I don't know LDT decoders.
Offline jkoellmer  
#20 Posted : 09 September 2007 22:51:31(UTC)
jkoellmer

Thanks for the suggestions. Lars. I do have a new development: Just for grins, I hooked the 5221 to one of my M* K83 decoders and, voila, the signal works perfectly on command from the IB. So, at least I now know its in the LDT or some connection to it. It still puzzles me why BOTH the M* K83 and the LDT decoder switch my turnouts correctly, but the LDT won't control the signal??? I'll try grounding the 5221 to the LDT... haven't tried that yet. The Viessmann instructions do not call for that however??? Stay tuned.
Jeff
Offline DaleSchultz  
#21 Posted : 09 September 2007 23:44:52(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
hook up a 16v lamp to the outputs of your decoder - that way you will see if it is momentary or constant. The middle input may be needed to be grounded with the common (positive) brown. (I am not familiar with the LDT equipment but believe it to be good).
Dale
Offline Mikael  
#22 Posted : 10 September 2007 00:26:43(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
According to this page:
http://www.bogobit.de/decoder/k83.html
the LDT modules operate with negative pulses instead of positive pulses as Märklin, Viessmann etc usually do. The polarity doesn't matter at all to a turnout, but it does to the Viessmann 5221 decoder (and similar equipment). There is absolutely nothing wrong with your LDT decoder, it just isn't compatible with the Viessmann box.
Offline jkoellmer  
#23 Posted : 10 September 2007 02:50:42(UTC)
jkoellmer

Whew... at least I'm not loosing it! yet! Thanks Mikael. That's good to know. I sent an email to LDT asking for their help, but they are off until 9/17. Thank you everyone for your advice!
Jeff
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#24 Posted : 10 September 2007 10:02:26(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Yes,
this is important but somewhat hidden info IMHO. Trying to sum up:

Short version: in the Märklin world, use decoders with postive switch pulses, like the ones from Märklin, Viessmann and Uhlenbrock, but not LDT nor Lenz.

Longer: equipment that are sensitive to polarity are for instance
electronic devices like Viessmann light control modules and 5552 relay
and Viessmann 3 aspect semaphores; they have diodes in order to allow for 3 wire control.

I'm sure I forgot something.
/Lars
Offline nohab  
#25 Posted : 11 September 2007 18:18:22(UTC)
nohab

I agree to the drawback of LDT not using positive pulses, which may cause problems together with some other equipment, but for turnouts they are great because they support separate power feed (electrically isolated from the signal feed). This saves a lot of "expensive digital current".